How to design a drill-down grid ?

Bjorn Sagbakken

I should very much like to add a sophisticated drill-down feature to a
grid/table in our ASP.NET web pages (VS 2005), sort of like the funtionality
of the treeview. But I want the presentation to be as with a table with
columns and rows in different style/color for each indented drill-down step
(sub-tables).

An example would be a table of customers, but with a click on the + sign on
the left edge one can view a sub-table with all orders for a single
customer. Next, click on the + sign for a single order to view a new
sub-table containing the items on the order.

Is this possible? And what is the best approach?

Bjorn

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

It's very straightforward and easily accomplished. You will simply need to
handle the drill/click event and fire a query at the data with an updated
where clause containing the row item that you need to drill on.

Bjorn Sagbakken

Yes, the database query is easy, but whitch grid/table component should be
used to present a dynamical table within a table within a table...

Bjorn

IfThenElse

Third party component, create your own or Google there are few free ones.

I will take you a while or some effort to learn how to use them however.

Bjorn Sagbakken

Ok, that was useful information.

Bjorn