How to detect user's intention when onunload fires?

feng

I want to use onunload to capture user's action when he
clicks on the "x" button to close the browser. Here is how
I do this:
<SCRIPT FOR="window" EVENT="onunload">
myScript();
</SCRIPT>

While myScript() does get called when "x" gets clicked, it
is also get called when the user leaves the current page
and navigate to another page within our web application.
My question is how do I determin if onunload is fired
because of an "x" clicking, an attempt to go out of
current web application, or simply go to another page
within our application.

Any input will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Lifeng

Jim Brandley

Try adding some more script.
1. Add a startup script that defines a variable and initializes it to some
value.
2. Add an onClick event handler to "x", and in it, change the value.
3. Inside myScript(), conditionally execute the content, depending on the
value of the variable.

Hope that helps.

feng

Thanks for the reply.

"Add an onClick event handler to 'x'"? How do you do that?
If this is possible, that would be a perfect solution to
my problem.

Do you know how to do that? Can you show me?

Thanks

Jim Brandley

Something like this, depending on what your "X" is:

myButton.Attributes["OnClick"] = "javascript: if ( myClickVar != null){
myClickVar = 'Clicked'; };";

feng

Oh no, the "x" is not myButton. It is the "x" button on
the upper-right corner of browser window. I don't think
you can "add a click event handler" to that, can you?

Thanks
Something like this, depending on what your "X" is:

myButton.Attributes["OnClick"] = "javascript: if ( myClickVar != null){
myClickVar = 'Clicked'; };";

Thanks for the reply.

"Add an onClick event handler to 'x'"? How do you do that?
If this is possible, that would be a perfect solution to
my problem.

Do you know how to do that? Can you show me?

Thanks
change
the value. content,
depending on the is

[...]