How to detect what is running Ruby program?

Mason Kelsey

I work on a Windows platform and have two utiltities that I can execute a
Ruby program from. The IDE SciTE and the fxri- Instant Ruby Enlightenment,
or so it says. The input commands such as "gets" do not work in the SciTE
utility but do in the fxri utility. If I use a gets command in a program
while running on SciTE the system seems to freeze and nothing appears to be
happening.

So I would like to be able to embed in my code the ability to recognize if I
am running in fxri or SciTE to avoid executing a gets command while running
in SciTE. Is there a way to do it? Since I use only these two utilities a
detection of one would mean that I am not using the other.

Thanks in advance to the Ruby Masters.

No Sam

Jonathan Castello

Perhaps try passing a command-line argument if you're running from SciTE=2C=
which your program can detect and act accordingly? Assuming there's no sim=
pler way=2C that is.

~Jonathan

Date: Tue=2C 22 Sep 2009 13:33:23 +0900
From: (e-mail address removed)
Subject: How to detect what is running Ruby program?
To: (e-mail address removed)
=20
I work on a Windows platform and have two utiltities that I can execute a
Ruby program from. The IDE SciTE and the fxri- Instant Ruby Enlightenmen= t=2C
or so it says. The input commands such as "gets" do not work in the SciT= E
utility but do in the fxri utility. If I use a gets command in a program
while running on SciTE the system seems to freeze and nothing appears to = be
happening.
=20
So I would like to be able to embed in my code the ability to recognize i= f I
am running in fxri or SciTE to avoid executing a gets command while runni= ng
in SciTE. Is there a way to do it? Since I use only these two utilities= a
detection of one would mean that I am not using the other.
=20
Thanks in advance to the Ruby Masters.
=20
No Sam

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222985/direct/01/=

Paul Smith

Perhaps try passing a command-line argument if you're running from SciTE,=
which your program can detect and act accordingly? Assuming there's no sim=
pler way, that is.
~Jonathan

IIRC there's a difference between Kernel#gets and STDIN#gets, one of
which works from under SciTE and the other doesn't. Try changing your
gets call to STDIN.gets.

Although personally, if you're using SciTE that probably means you're
using the Ruby 1.8.6 one-click installer - which I would uninstall and
move to the technology preview of Ruby 1.9, which doesn't bundle
SciTE, and instead has you work from the command line as God intended.

--=20
Paul Smith
http://www.nomadicfun.co.uk

(e-mail address removed)

Mason Kelsey

You wrote, "...which doesn't bundle SciTE, and instead has you work from the
command line as God intended."

Now I know why I'm an atheist! It's that damn command line thingee!

So are people, who like to work from the authoritarian command line,
programming fundamentalists?

I like SciTE, it's a free IDE, even if it is of a different race. Why can't
we all just get a lawn?

No Sam

Paul Smith

I'll admit I liked SciTE when I first came across it, and I even used
it to do a live Test Driven Development demo using Ruby at the place
where I work.

However, I'm just happier with a command line and a good text editor.
I've been using PSPad recently as we have it at work, but just use
whatever your favourite editor happens to be.

In this year's Google Code Jam I ditched the SciTE for a command line
interface and performed much better - YMMV :)

You wrote, "...which doesn't bundle SciTE, and instead has you work from = the
command line as God intended."

Now I know why I'm an atheist! =A0It's that damn command line thingee!

So are people, who like to work from the authoritarian command line,
programming fundamentalists?

I like SciTE, it's a free IDE, even if it is of a different race. =A0Why = can't
we all just get a lawn?

No Sam

--=20
Paul Smith