How to determine the Country and Organization from IP

Amardeep Verma

Hi,
I would like to determine the Country and Organization from a given
IP. I have to write a JSP, which when given the IP address gives the
country and the organization to which the IP belongs. The organization
may be the ISP, or a MNC or any other corporate/government body, or it
may be of an individual. I have to do it progamitically from inside a
JSP?
Any suggestions anybody

Thanks in Advance for your reply

Grant Wagner

Amardeep said:
Hi,
I would like to determine the Country and Organization from a given
IP. I have to write a JSP, which when given the IP address gives the
country and the organization to which the IP belongs. The organization
may be the ISP, or a MNC or any other corporate/government body, or it
may be of an individual. I have to do it progamitically from inside a
JSP?
Any suggestions anybody

Thanks in Advance for your reply

Do a whois lookup, then parse the results that are returned. You could do
something as simple as:

<url: http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?queryinput=127.0.0.1 />

then parse the HTML returned.

Or find some service that allows SOAP calls, or a service that returns the
data in an easier to parse format, such as XML or comma-delimited.

Michael Winter

One problem with this (as I have found recently) is that there are four
***independent*** regional Internet registries. However, the American
(North) and sub-equatorial African registry (ARIN - www.arin.net) does seem
to point you to which registry does contain the information, if they don't,
on a regular basis. This will require more parsing on your behalf.

The four registries are:

APNIC (http://www.apnic.net/) - Asia (Pacific).
ARIN (http://www.arin.net/) - North America, (part of) the Caribbean, and
sub-equatorial Africa.
LACNIC (http://lacnit.net/) - Latin America and the Caribbean.
RIPE (http://www.ripe.net/) - Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia, and
Africa.

I don't know if there is a central database (there probably isn't), but some
web-sites do query all of the registries. I knew one that would allow HTTP
GET requests, but it's disappeared from my browser history (?!?!).

Michael

Roedy Green

Note that this does not reliably tell you where the user is located. For
example I think it is AOL who use IP addresses from their US allocation
for customers everywhere (in the UK for example).

For example, I looked up my own website's IP and discovered it was
allocated to "bigpipe". This is not me, and not my ISP but at least
one higher up the food chain.

Neomorph

For example, I looked up my own website's IP and discovered it was
allocated to "bigpipe". This is not me, and not my ISP but at least
one higher up the food chain.

You could do a reverse DNS call to at least get the full name of the
machine. This will give you a name that may tell you more.

It is basically impossible to get a true geographic location on every
machine through their IP number, though. You would have to equip each
machine with a GPS system that is always accessible through the internet
;-)

Cheers.

Roedy Green

Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts with me. IF you have
anything more to add, please do post it.

Maybe there is some relative of PING you can use to find out where a
site is. Not every site would implement it. If not, maybe it is time
to invent such an identifying protocol, that would give you a vcard
for the IP. It might also present public keys for the site.