How to develop a python application?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Vincent Davis, Jun 5, 2009.

  1. This might be a off topic but this also seemed like a good place to ask.

    I have an application (several) I would like to develop. Parts of it I
    can do but parts I would like to outsource. I am thinking mostly of
    outsourcing most of my django (or similar) work and otherwise have
    some custom classes written.
    I would like to do this small bits (that is the out sourcing) at a
    time for many reasons but I realize there are down sides to doing this
    (I probably don't know all them)

    I have a this specific project in mind but don't mind this topic being
    rather broad. I would like to read and learn more about developing
    software (commercial or open source)

    My questions
    How do I find programs interested in small projects.
    How do they expect to be paid or how should I pay.
    Are sites like elance.com good?
    What do I not know to ask? That is what should I be considering?

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Very brief description of the project.
    The app would take GPS, Heartrate, Power(bicycle) data from a Garmin
    GPS and other devises and upload it to a database. After that I have
    several calculations and analysis of the data. Then display graphs and
    other statistics. This is a very brief explanation.

    There are several examples of similar python projects, but not web based.
    Granola
    pygarmin
    garmin-sync
    The closest web based example would be Training Peaks
    http://home.trainingpeaks.com/personal-edition/training-log-and-food-diary.aspx

    Thanks
    Vincent Davis
    720-301-3003