How to develop an application which runs automatically

aparnasinha26

Hi All,
I have to develop an application .The application has to update
database.It does not have any user interface.It needs to run on Windows
XP/2000 automatically at a particular time say 4 p.m. daily.
I have to develop the application in VB.net
My first question is which Visual Basic.Net Project type do I use-
Windows Service Or Class Library?
Second Question is What are the necessary initial steps I have to take
during development?
Thirdly how do I finally install or deploy the application so that it
automatically runs at a particular time on my Computer.
The OS will be either Windows XP or Windows 2000.
In addition if there are additional settings related to Operating
system?

Please Help!

Guest

Hi,

There are 2 ways in which you can do that.

First the Simple Solution(less time consuming): Make a class and wrap the
functionallity in the class. Compile the class (using vbc/csc tool) or build
the project the dll file would be in the bin folder.

You can go to the control panes -> Schedules Task -> Add New Scheduled task.
There you can specify the periodicity in which the OS would execute your dll.
Like in your problem statement, you can specify the condition 04:00 PM daily.
In the process it would ask you the path of the dll file.

Second and the time consuming activity: Make an windows service. Have a
config file attach where you have parameters like M/H/D/F/Y for monthly ,
hourly, Daily, Forthnightly and Yearly and specify the duration.

You need to install the service using service installers. There is a lot of
stuff available for services on the net.

Hope this answers your query.

thanks and Regards,

Piyush Thakuria