    Sorry to post again. I want to know how to disable the sroll
    bar of IE. In javascript or HTML.

    Thanks.

    hon123456, Dec 20, 2005

  2. hon123456

    Jose Guest

    > Sorry to post again. I want to know how to disable the sroll
    > bar of IE. In javascript or HTML.

    Sorry to rain some, but =why= do you want to do this? It amounts to
    handcuffs on the user. As a user, I utterly =resent= sites that try to
    take over my browser and cripple me that way. SO, I turn Javascript off
    - with that, you are "vulnerable", as I can view source, and your fancy
    java handcuffs won't work.

    Jose
    --
    You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.

    Jose, Dec 20, 2005

  3. hon123456

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, hon123456
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > I want to know how to disable the sroll
    > bar of IE.

    Make your page really short.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

    Mark Parnell, Dec 20, 2005
  4. hon123456

    Chris Beall Guest

    hon123456 wrote:
    > Dear all,
    > Sorry to post again. I want to know how to disable the sroll
    > bar of IE. In javascript or HTML.
    >
    > Thanks.

    hon123456,

    See http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visufx.html#propdef-overflow for one way.

    Keep in mind, however, that a scroll bar appears because there is
    content outside the boundary of the window (or other block on the page).
    If you disable the scroll bar the user will be unable to see that content.

    I don't know why you would want to do that.

    Chris Beall

    Chris Beall, Dec 20, 2005
  5. __/ [Mark Parnell] on Tuesday 20 December 2005 03:10 \__

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, hon123456
    > <> spouted in alt.html:
    >
    >> I want to know how to disable the sroll
    >> bar of IE.

    > Make your page really short.

    *LOL*

    It's amazing what people are trying to achieve and the reasons behind it.
    Changing the colours of the scrollbars is stupid enough and I noticed that
    even Konqueror supports it now. What's next? Manipulating the windows
    decorations? Changing firewall policies? Installing some programs that the
    user is /definitely/ going to fancy?

    Sadly, Firefox still supports the request to resize windows and change to
    full-screen mode. It has terrible impact on those who work while surfing and
    looks hideous to those using multi-head displays.

    Roy

    Roy Schestowitz, Dec 20, 2005
  6. hon123456

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Roy Schestowitz
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > It's amazing what people are trying to achieve and the reasons behind it.

    Unfortunately many deezyners think that while you are viewing their
    site, the entire browser belongs to them.

    > Changing the colours of the scrollbars is stupid enough

    Perfect example.

    > and I noticed that
    > even Konqueror supports it now.

    Really? Ick. I hope you can at least disable it.

    > Sadly, Firefox still supports the request to resize windows and change to
    > full-screen mode.

    If we're thinking of the same thing, that can be disabled. OTTOMH in
    Linux it's Edit>Preferences>Content>Advanced... (next to "Enable
    JavaScript") - untick "Move and resize existing windows".

    Mark Parnell, Dec 20, 2005
  7. hon123456

    Stan McCann Guest

    Roy Schestowitz <> wrote in

    > __/ [Mark Parnell] on Tuesday 20 December 2005 03:10 \__
    >
    >> Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, hon123456
    >> <> spouted in alt.html:
    >>
    >>> I want to know how to disable the sroll
    >>> bar of IE.

    I don't understand why it is that so many people want to disable this
    or that. Or demand that you install this or that. Or demand that you
    use this or that.

    Why can't they understand that I have my computer(s) set up the way I
    want and NO, I'm not going to let them change it.

    >> Make your page really short.

    > *LOL*

    I did too.

    > It's amazing what people are trying to achieve and the reasons
    > behind it. Changing the colours of the scrollbars is stupid enough
    > and I noticed that even Konqueror supports it now. What's next?
    > Manipulating the windows decorations? Changing firewall policies?
    > Installing some programs that the user is /definitely/ going to
    > fancy?

    We already have stuff getting installed through web pages. Where do
    you think spyware comes from? I rarely get any though as I do not
    allow any client side scripting or cookies except on very few pages
    that I have as "My Favorites" in that other browser. Those are pages I
    need that require scripting and/or cookies. My banking. My time and
    leave reports at work. A very few others that I *need*, not want.

    > Sadly, Firefox still supports the request to resize windows and
    > change to full-screen mode. It has terrible impact on those who work
    > while surfing and looks hideous to those using multi-head displays.

    Through scripting. My windows never gets resized, moved, etc. All of
    my general browsing is done using FF locked down tight. Sure, I run
    into web sites telling me that I must enable this or that or download
    this or that plug in. I usually find what I want somewhere else pretty
    easily.

    Scripting can do some great stuff prettying up a page, but if you
    require it, you are losing some of your market and in most cases don't
    even know it. I rarely write to sites I leave because of scripting.

    http://alamo.nmsu.edu/ There are 10 kinds of people.
    Those that understand binary and those that don't.

    Stan McCann, Dec 20, 2005
  8. hon123456

    Greg N. Guest

    Stan McCann wrote:

    > We already have stuff getting installed through web pages. Where do
    > you think spyware comes from? I rarely get any though as I do not
    > allow any client side scripting or cookies ...

    How can enabling cookies facilitate a web page "install stuff" without
    my explicit consent?

    Likewise, how can client side scripting do that?

    --
    Gregor's Motorradreisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

    Greg N., Dec 20, 2005
  9. hon123456

    Stan McCann Guest

    "Greg N." <> wrote in

    > Stan McCann wrote:
    >

    >> We already have stuff getting installed through web pages. Where
    >> do you think spyware comes from? I rarely get any though as I do
    >> not allow any client side scripting or cookies ...

    > How can enabling cookies facilitate a web page "install stuff"
    > without my explicit consent?
    >
    > Likewise, how can client side scripting do that?

    A very few years ago, I would have been asking the same. Now, I
    really don't care how they do it; they do it. Cookies? You're
    probably right, but who knows? Client side? I'm pretty damn
    uncomfortable allowing just anyone that wants to write a program to
    run it on my computer before I even know what it does.

    Bottom line for me though is watching the computer service guys (thank
    goodness I don't do that anymore) running from office to office
    cleaning up computers of people that "just browse the web" while I
    never[1] get anything on any machines I use. Coincidence? I've done
    some programming from the early days programming in Apple basic, then
    Atari and Amiga and on to compatibles where I got away from basic to C
    and Assembly.

    I know what could be done with those languages but you had to get it
    on the computer to do anything. Duh! Client side. On the computer.
    I've not studied in depth client side, although I know some pretty
    neat stuff can be done. Unfortunately, so can some pretty nasty
    stuff. I consider opening windows when I don't want windows opened or
    maximizing my window when I don't work that way etc., etc. nasty. I
    don't *know* what else can be done.

    [1] Never say never. I had some kind of spyware thing about a year
    ago that was creating havoc on one of my systems.

    Stan McCann, Dec 21, 2005
  10. hon123456

    Greg N. Guest

    Stan McCann wrote:

    > I don't *know* what else can be done.

    Cookies have nothing to do with malicious code getting to execute on
    your computer.

    There were a few security holes with Javascript and Java a few years
    ago, but today, on an up-to-date system, they can't do _real_ harm.

    I agree that popping up and resizing windows is annoying, and that some
    people (although decent browswers have other means to achieve that) will
    even disable scripting to prevent that. That's ok, but it won't do a
    thing towards preventing viruses, trojans, and spyware getting into your
    system.

    --
    Gregor's Motorradreisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

    Greg N., Dec 21, 2005
  11. hon123456

    kchayka Guest

    Greg N. wrote:

    > Cookies have nothing to do with malicious code getting to execute on
    > your computer.

    No, but they *can* pass data to malicious programs, such as spyware.

    I personally think cookies are highly abused, thus I rarely accept them.

    kchayka, Dec 21, 2005
  12. hon123456

    Greg N. Guest

    kchayka wrote:

    >>Cookies have nothing to do with malicious code getting to execute on
    >>your computer.

    > No, but they *can* pass data to malicious programs, such as spyware.

    What?

    I guess what you're trying to say is, "they can be stolen by malicious
    programs, such as spyware".

    But that is hardly an argument against keeping sensitive data on a
    computer. If your computer holds sensitive data (and almost every
    computer in the world does) you got to be careful not to allow malicious
    code to execute on your system. In other words, the spyware is the
    problem, not the data it steals.

    --
    Gregor's Motorradreisen:
    http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/

    Greg N., Dec 22, 2005
  13. Roy Schestowitz wrote :

    [snipped]

    > Sadly, Firefox still supports the request to resize windows

    Not if the user unchecks the checkbox
    Tools/Options.../Content tab/Advanced button/Allow scripts to:/Move or
    resize existing windows
    or if the user edits his user.js file accordingly or an about:config
    setting.

    and change to
    > full-screen mode.

    Scripts can not change Firefox 1.x to be rendered in fullscreen mode.

    Gérard
    --
    remove blah to email me

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=, Dec 23, 2005
  14. Chris Beall wrote :
    > hon123456 wrote:
    >
    >> Dear all,
    >> Sorry to post again. I want to know how to disable the sroll
    >> bar of IE. In javascript or HTML.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > hon123456,
    >
    > See http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visufx.html#propdef-overflow for one way.
    >
    > Keep in mind, however, that a scroll bar appears because there is
    > content outside the boundary of the window (or other block on the page).
    > If you disable the scroll bar the user will be unable to see that content.

    IMO, it's worse than this: the user will not be aware that there is more
    content available, that some content is clipped. The visual presence of
    a scrollbar immediately clarifies explicitly this for the user; the
    absence of a scrollbar suggests implicitly that there is no more content
    available to read, to access.

    Gérard
    --
    remove blah to email me

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=, Dec 23, 2005