How to disable warning C4786 in VC++ 6.0?

Jason Heyes

This debugger-related warning is flooding my output window. Example:

c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\xmemory(38) : warning
C4786:
'std::pair said:
truncated to '255' characters in the debug information

What options can I set to disable this warning? Any help is appreciated.

Jason.

Karl Heinz Buchegger

Jason said:
This debugger-related warning is flooding my output window. Example:

c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\xmemory(38) : warning
C4786:

truncated to '255' characters in the debug information

What options can I set to disable this warning? Any help is appreciated.

While this question is off topic in this group
(in the future please direct questions about how to operate
your compiler to a group dedicated to your compiler)

insert
#pragma warning (disable : 4786)
as the very first line (before all the includes) of your code

Jason Heyes

Karl Heinz Buchegger said:
While this question is off topic in this group
(in the future please direct questions about how to operate
your compiler to a group dedicated to your compiler)

insert
#pragma warning (disable : 4786)
as the very first line (before all the includes) of your code

I have alot of source files and to insert each #pragma by hand would be
time-consuming. What do you suggest I do? Will I need to find a separate
tool to automate the process? Thanks.

Martijn Mulder

While this question is off topic in this group
I have alot of source files and to insert each #pragma by
hand would be time-consuming. What do you suggest I do?
Will I need to find a separate tool to automate the
process? Thanks.

Check out

http://www.bdsoft.com/tools/stlfilt.html

STLFilt simplifies and/or reformats long-winded C++ error and warning messages,
with a focus on STL-related diagnostics (and for MSVC 6, it fully eliminates
C4786 warnings and their detritus).

rajkumar

If you are using VC projects I am assmuing you must be using
precompiled headers as well.

Put the pragma warning in the pch header for all projects

Raj