How to Display Data Structures in ASP?

Joe Williams

I'm writing a web application in plain ASP with VBScript, and I frequently
want to display the contents of a data structure that I've created, for
debugging purposes. In Perl, I can include a library called Data::Dumper
and add a couple of lines of code, and it will format for display any
arbitrarily complex data structure. Takes about 10 seconds to accomplish.
I've been unable to find anything for ASP that does the same or similar
thing. Does such a debugging tool exist? How do you look at your
complex data structures?

Thanks.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Joe said:
I'm writing a web application in plain ASP with VBScript, and I
frequently want to display the contents of a data structure that I've
created, for debugging purposes. In Perl, I can include a library
called Data::Dumper and add a couple of lines of code, and it will
format for display any arbitrarily complex data structure. Takes
about 10 seconds to accomplish. I've been unable to find anything for
ASP that does the same or similar thing. Does such a debugging tool
exist? How do you look at your complex data structures?
By "data structures", I assume you are talking about classes or arrays,
not database structures.

Response.Write is it, unless you are using Visual Studio's debugger.

This might be helpful: