how to display form processing on same screen as form?

murrayatuptowngallery

I started a JS project (my first) a year or two ago, got distracted &
am just now getting back to it.

By luck I had somehow found a way to collect data with a form, perform
calculations with JavaScript and display the form and calculated
results on the same screen.

Now I can't figure out how to do that again. The only methods of
reporting the calculation results seem to display a completely new
screen/window.

I just want to collect some numeric input data with slider widgets or
text boxes for an alternate method and display additional calculated
results 'real time' as the slider is adjusted. If this can't be done,
after a text box entry is made. Ideally the results would display
without a 'submit' button click.

Not only am I new at this, I'm rusty from the last time I was new.

Thank you

Murray

David Mark

murrayatuptowngallery said:
I started a JS project (my first) a year or two ago, got distracted &
am just now getting back to it.

By luck I had somehow found a way to collect data with a form, perform
calculations with JavaScript and display the form and calculated
results on the same screen.

Now I can't figure out how to do that again. The only methods of
reporting the calculation results seem to display a completely new
screen/window.

I just want to collect some numeric input data with slider widgets or
text boxes for an alternate method and display additional calculated
results 'real time' as the slider is adjusted. If this can't be done,
after a text box entry is made. Ideally the results would display
without a 'submit' button click.

Sounds like you don't need a form at all. If you detect that the
slider widgets can't be used, render a fieldset with text inputs. Use
the onchange event of the text inputs to display results.

murrayatuptowngallery

OK...that sounds good.

Regarding detection of sliders not being usable, I don't know what to
look for, but I just have this feeling here are alot of people whose
browsers balk at JS and who knows what else because of default
firewall settings...I know I personally stopped using Zone Alarm
because I was sick of every print job being flagged as an internet
call and my family didn't know what to do with all the alarms (crying
wolf for real or not?).

So I went back to the basic Windows XP firewall and blocks an awful
lot. It's easier to say OK than figure out an exception for so many
web pages I may not visit again.

So that is the basis for my Luddite fear of web pages that won't run
(started thinking once I get it working in JS, to convert it to PHP to
run it on the server without censorship).

I'm assuming I can capture the fieldset inputs as numbers, as that's
the kind of input I need to be then processed with javascript math
functions.

Thanks

Murray