How to display HTML that is the data within and XML file.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Cal Who, Dec 20, 2009.

  1. Cal Who

    Cal Who Guest

    Someone generates an XML file.
    The data in the file is HTML.
    She sends the file to me.
    I upload it to my site.
    A page on the site will extract the HTML and assign it to a Literal so it is
    displayed.

    The probem is that it is error prone for her not to see HTML in a browser.
    It would appear that she could develop the HTML in a HTML editor then cut
    and pasete into the XML.

    But I only showed one section - there are actually many sections in the
    file.
    And the HTML is usually quite simple.

    If she could just view it before sending it to me would be sufficient.

    Is there any way I could generate a web site that knows how to display the
    document and that she could install on her machine and use that to view the
    XML.
    She does not have VS on her machine.
    I assume she has or could have IIS.

    Or maybe a Windows Form app that can display the HTML?
    I believe there is a browser control that can be inserted inti a Window
    Form.

    Of course a web site would be the simplest for me to generate but I don't
    know how to host it on her machine without VS.
    Can a web site be precompiled and used without VS?

    I'm looking for suggestions

    Thanks

    Examle of the file
    <DataItem>

    <Contents>

    <![CDATA[

    Titles & Names...

    ]]>

    </Contents>

    </DataItem>

    Cal Who, Dec 20, 2009

  2. On Dec 20, 2:55 am, " Cal Who" <> wrote:
    > Someone generates an XML file.
    > The data in the file is HTML.
    > She sends the file to me.
    > I upload it to my site.
    > A page on the site will extract the HTML and assign it to a Literal so it is
    > displayed.
    >
    > The probem is that it is error prone for her not to see HTML in a browser..
    > It would appear that she could develop the HTML in a HTML editor then cut
    > and pasete into the XML.
    >
    > But I only showed one section - there are actually many sections in the
    > file.
    > And the HTML is usually quite simple.
    >
    > If she could just view it before sending it to me would be sufficient.
    >
    > Is there any way I could generate a web site that knows how to display the
    > document and that she could install on her machine and use that to view the
    > XML.
    > She does not have VS on her machine.
    > I assume she has or could have IIS.
    >
    > Or maybe a Windows Form app that can display the HTML?
    > I believe there is a browser control that can be inserted inti a Window
    > Form.
    >
    > Of course a web site would be the simplest for me to generate but I don't
    > know how to host it on her machine without VS.
    > Can a web site be precompiled and used without VS?
    >
    > I'm looking for suggestions
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Examle of the file
    > <DataItem>
    >
    > <Contents>
    >
    > <![CDATA[

    > Titles & Names...

    > ]]>
    >
    > </Contents>

    > </DataItem>

    XSLT?

    Alexey Smirnov, Dec 20, 2009

  3. Cal Who

    Scott M. Guest

    As long as the HTML that is being written in the CDATA section is written as
    XHTML, then extracting it is a breeze.

    XHTML can be validated at http://validator.w3.org

    -Scott

    Scott M., Dec 21, 2009
  4. Cal Who

    Cal Who Guest

    "Alexey Smirnov" <> wrote in message
    On Dec 20, 2:55 am, " Cal Who" <> wrote:
    > Someone generates an XML file.
    > The data in the file is HTML.
    > She sends the file to me.
    > I upload it to my site.
    > A page on the site will extract the HTML and assign it to a Literal so it
    > is
    > displayed.
    >
    > The probem is that it is error prone for her not to see HTML in a browser.
    > It would appear that she could develop the HTML in a HTML editor then cut
    > and pasete into the XML.
    >
    > But I only showed one section - there are actually many sections in the
    > file.
    > And the HTML is usually quite simple.
    >
    > If she could just view it before sending it to me would be sufficient.
    >
    > Is there any way I could generate a web site that knows how to display the
    > document and that she could install on her machine and use that to view
    > the
    > XML.
    > She does not have VS on her machine.
    > I assume she has or could have IIS.
    >
    > Or maybe a Windows Form app that can display the HTML?
    > I believe there is a browser control that can be inserted inti a Window
    > Form.
    >
    > Of course a web site would be the simplest for me to generate but I don't
    > know how to host it on her machine without VS.
    > Can a web site be precompiled and used without VS?
    >
    > I'm looking for suggestions
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Examle of the file
    > <DataItem>
    >
    > <Contents>
    >
    > <![CDATA[

    > Titles & Names...

    > ]]>
    >
    > </Contents>

    > </DataItem>

    XSLT?

    I had never heard of XSLT so I had a little looking into to do. But I did
    creat an XSLT file for my XML file and referenced it inside the XML file.
    Then I clicked the XML file name and it opened in the browser which
    displayed the HTML markup.

    I copied that markup and inserted it into a file with an HTM extension and
    then clicked that file name and the browser displayed the HTML.

    Almost great. What I need is to click or do something to the XML file so
    that a Browser displays the HTML markup formatted (that is, I don't want to
    see the markup I need the marup to be executed by the browser)

    Possible?

    Thanks

    Cal Who, Dec 22, 2009
  5. Cal Who

    Cal Who Guest

    "Scott M." <> wrote in message
    > As long as the HTML that is being written in the CDATA section is written
    > as XHTML, then extracting it is a breeze.
    >
    > XHTML can be validated at http://validator.w3.org
    >
    > -Scott

    I need to validate by doing something locally. Most likely, simply seening
    the HTML displayed in a browser. It has to be a simple process.

    Thanks

    Cal Who, Dec 22, 2009
  6. Cal Who

    Scott M. Guest

    " Cal Who" <> wrote in message

    > "Scott M." <> wrote in message
    >> As long as the HTML that is being written in the CDATA section is written
    >> as XHTML, then extracting it is a breeze.
    >>
    >> XHTML can be validated at http://validator.w3.org
    >>
    >> -Scott
    >>

    > I need to validate by doing something locally. Most likely, simply seening
    > the HTML displayed in a browser. It has to be a simple process.
    >

    > Thanks

    Unfortunately, it's not a simple matter. Seeing the markup interpreted by a
    browser is hardly a way to "validate" the HTML. HTML is "interpreted" by
    browsers, which means that it can be written incorrectly, but the browser
    may still "interpret" it correctly. Not only that, but what one browser
    interprets one way may very well be interpreted by a different browser (or
    different version of the same browser) entirely differently. This is
    exactly why XHTML was created - - to provide, not only a more strict way to
    write HTML, but more importantly a way to validate it.

    XSLT isn't going to tell you if you've used the tags and attributes
    correctly, it's only going to tell you if the tags and attributes are
    "well-formed". It wouldn't pick up on semantic errors like

    For this, you need to validate your HTML against a validator program.
    Browsers don't validate - - they interpret.

    -Scott

    Scott M., Dec 22, 2009
  7. Cal Who

    Cal Who Guest

    "Scott M." <> wrote in message

    > " Cal Who" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Scott M." <> wrote in message
    >>> As long as the HTML that is being written in the CDATA section is
    >>> written as XHTML, then extracting it is a breeze.
    >>>
    >>> XHTML can be validated at http://validator.w3.org
    >>>
    >>> -Scott
    >>>

    >> I need to validate by doing something locally. Most likely, simply
    >> seening the HTML displayed in a browser. It has to be a simple process.
    >>

    >> Thanks

    > Unfortunately, it's not a simple matter. Seeing the markup interpreted by
    > a browser is hardly a way to "validate" the HTML.

    What I need is to see how it looks in a browser.
    I don't need to validate it.
    Just want to see what it looks like.

    You introduced the word "validate" and I picked it up - I shouldn't have -
    sorry that only confuses.

    The thing is that the data in the XML file (that is, not the elements
    themself) is HTML.
    So if I use a browser and XSLT to extract that data it gets treated as text
    by the browser and displayed as markup.
    I need it displayd formated.

    Thanks

    Cal Who, Dec 22, 2009
  8. Cal Who

    Scott M. Guest

    " Cal Who" <> wrote in message

    > "Scott M." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> " Cal Who" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Scott M." <> wrote in message

    >>> I need to validate by doing something locally. Most likely, simply
    >>> seening the HTML displayed in a browser. It has to be a simple process.
    >>>

    >>> Thanks

    >> Unfortunately, it's not a simple matter. Seeing the markup interpreted
    >> by a browser is hardly a way to "validate" the HTML.

    > What I need is to see how it looks in a browser.
    > I don't need to validate it.
    > Just want to see what it looks like.

    Are you saying you want the tags & attributes parsed by the browser or not?
    If you do, then looking at the parsed results won't help because different
    browsers can/will show the same markup differently, as I described. This is
    why it's so important to ensure that the markup is written properly, which
    is what validation will accomplish.

    If you are saying that you want to see the actual markup as the result, like
    to do is use LINQ to XML to extract the CDATA and then use the
    Server.HTMLEncode method on that text to encode the markup so that it will
    be rendered instead of parsed.

    -Scott

    Scott M., Dec 22, 2009
  9. Cal Who

    Cal Who Guest

    I'm sorry I'm taking too much of your time and not getting to the problem.
    If I click on the following XML file the browser will extract the CDATA
    using the XSLT file and display text. But you can see that the text is
    really HTML markup (including things like <p>)
    I need it (or something) to take that markup and format it as it would have
    had the markup come from a host.
    I need to see Sunday in bold type.

    Thanks

    THE XML FILE

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
    <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="sample1.xslt"?>

    <DefaultDataItems>

    <DataItem>
    <Header>
    <![CDATA[
    <h4>
    COMING EVENTS
    </h4>
    ]]>
    </Header>
    <Contents>
    <![CDATA[
    The event will include a variety of homemade food

    ]]>

    </Contents>
    </DefaultDataItems>

    THE XSLT FILE
    <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
    <xsl:template match="/">
    <xsl:for-each select="DefaultDataItems/DataItem">
    </xsl:for-each>
    </xsl:template>
    </xsl:stylesheet>

    Cal Who, Dec 22, 2009
  10. Cal Who

    Scott M. Guest

    " Cal Who" <> wrote in message
    > I'm sorry I'm taking too much of your time and not getting to the problem.

    It's no problem at all, I just want to make sure I'm giving you relevant
    information.

    > If I click on the following XML file the browser will extract the CDATA
    > using the XSLT file and display text. But you can see that the text is
    > really HTML markup (including things like <p>)
    > I need it (or something) to take that markup and format it as it would
    > have had the markup come from a host.
    > I need to see Sunday in bold type.

    Ok, so while this works, it will ONLY work as long as the HTML that is
    embedded into the CDATA section is "valid". If there are any HTML errors
    (which) browsers don't alert you to, the browser *may* display something
    that your eyeballs say is ok, but is actually incorrect HTML.

    This is the biggest issue for people to understand about HTML, as I've said,
    browsers don't "validate" what they are displaying, they simply "interpret"
    what they've been given and different browsers are free to interpret the
    same HTML differently.

    While this solution *may* seem to work for you, the minute the CDATA has
    improperly written HTML, this solution can fall apart.

    This is exactly why validation is really the only bullet-proof way of
    knowing that what your eyeballs are seeing is, in fact, what everyone's
    eyeballs will see.

    -Scott

    Scott M., Dec 22, 2009
  11. On Dec 22, 2:27 am, " Cal Who" <> wrote:
    > Almost great. What I need is to click or do something to the XML file so
    > that a Browser displays the HTML markup formatted (that is, I don't want to
    > see the markup I need the marup to be executed by the browser)

    You upload the file to the site and output it to a Literal Control.
    Instead of showing its content in Literal, add a hyperlink and link it
    to your XML file.

    Hope this helps

    Alexey Smirnov, Dec 22, 2009
  12. Cal Who

    On Dec 22, 2:27 am, " Cal Who" <> wrote:
    > Almost great. What I need is to click or do something to the XML file so
    > that a Browser displays the HTML markup formatted (that is, I don't want
    > see the markup I need the marup to be executed by the browser)

    You upload the file to the site and output it to a Literal Control.
    Instead of showing its content in Literal, add a hyperlink and link it
    to your XML file.

    Hope this helps

    Yes, thanks

    Cal Who, Dec 22, 2009