How to display N records from a database in some Div's? Thanks.

Shapper

Hello,

In a database table named t_content I have the following records:

id page name content
1 index introduction
Introduction Text
2 index welcome Welcome Text

3 index notes
4 contacts address Mailing Address

In index.aspx I want to display the content text from records 1, 2 and 3
in three existing div's. Something as:
empty.

As far as I understand I should retrieve all the fields which
page="index".

Then i should create N variables such as:
var_ { [name] from record 1} = { [content] from record 1}
var_ { [name] from record 2} = { [content] from record 2}

For the table example it would become something as:

Where:
var_introduction = "Introduction Text"
var_welcome = "Welcome Text"
var_notes = "&nbsp;"

Is my plan the right way to do something like this?
Can someone help me out in doing this?

I had created a dataset (See the end of post) from my table where I
filter a certain page where @page = ... and @name = ....
It's working fine. Now I need to change this to have something as I
described.

Thank You,
Miguel

Here is my dataset:

ASPX

<% @Import Namespace="System.Data" %>
<% @Import Namespace="System.Data.SqlClient" %>
<script runat="server">
Function dsContent(ByVal page As String, ByVal name As String) As
System.Data.DataSet
Dim connectionString As String =
System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("connectionString")
Dim dbConnection As System.Data.IDbConnection = New
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection(connectionString)
Dim queryString As String = "SELECT [t_content].* FROM
[t_content] WHERE (([t_content].[page] = @page) AND ([t_content].[name]
= @name))"
Dim dbCommand As System.Data.IDbCommand = New
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand
dbCommand.CommandText = queryString
dbCommand.Connection = dbConnection
Dim dbParam_page As System.Data.IDataParameter = New
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter
dbParam_page.ParameterName = "@page"
dbParam_page.Value = page
dbParam_page.DbType = System.Data.DbType.String
dbCommand.Parameters.Add(dbParam_page)
Dim dbParam_name As System.Data.IDataParameter = New
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbParameter
dbParam_name.ParameterName = "@name"
dbParam_name.Value = name
dbParam_name.DbType = System.Data.DbType.String
dbCommand.Parameters.Add(dbParam_name)
Dim dataAdapter As System.Data.IDbDataAdapter = New
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter
dataAdapter.SelectCommand = dbCommand
Dim dataSet As System.Data.DataSet = New System.Data.DataSet
dataAdapter.Fill(dataSet)
Return dataSet
End Function
</script>

Web.Config
<appSettings>
<add key="connectionString" value="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;
Ole DB Services=-4; Data Source=C:\db.mdb" />
</appSettings>

Lucas Tam

As far as I understand I should retrieve all the fields which
page="index".

Then i should create N variables such as:
var_ { [name] from record 1} = { [content] from record 1}
var_ { [name] from record 2} = { [content] from record 2}

Why not just loop your dataset and output?

No need for so many variables.

Shapper

What do you mean?

Cheers,
Miguel

#[email protected]:

As far as I understand I should retrieve all the fields which
page="index".

Then i should create N variables such as:
var_ { [name] from record 1} = { [content] from record 1}
var_ { [name] from record 2} = { [content] from record 2}

Why not just loop your dataset and output?

No need for so many variables.

Shapper

Hi,

I think I can't use the dataset itself because I will not know which
record I need to use in each div. So I believe by using variables which
identify each record is maybe the best way (OR NOT?):

var_ { [name] from record 1} = { [content] from record 1}

So I think maybe I should create these variables from the dataset? What
do you think?

Something like:

For i = 1 to N < N is the number of rows of the
dataset.
if content(i) is empty then
var_[name(i)]="&nbsp;"
else
var_[name(i)]=[content)i)]
endif
end

Then in the div I should use something like:
<%# var_name %> ????

My problem is how to create these 2 pieces of code as I never done
something like this in ASP.NET.

Thanks,
Miguel

What do you mean?