How to distinguish several <div>

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, May 2, 2006.

  1. Hello,
    I am building the site https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
    On the page
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php
    I have tried to write much information about Italy.
    I often update this page.
    In order to distinguish several paragraphs I have also created different
    Each of these has been distinguished through a "class" and and an "id"
    I guess that I should define these classes and ids on my external style
    sheet. But I wonder how I could distinguish them visually.
    Would it be good to use different background colours? If I do that, the text
    would get less readable.
    Any suggestions?
    I have also tried to create an index (under construction)
    The same works
    for https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 2, 2006

  2. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 2, 2006

  3. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > > I am building the site https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
    > > On the page
    > > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php

    > > Any suggestions?

    > Hire a designer and become a two-man business?

    If I should become a two-man business I would probably try and cooperate
    with some person who does something else than design...
    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 3, 2006

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i

    meddelandet
    > > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello,
    > > > I am building the site https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
    > > > On the page
    > > > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php

    > > > Any suggestions?

    > > Hire a designer and become a two-man business?

    > If I should become a two-man business I would probably try and cooperate
    > with some person who does something else than design...
    > --

    I am not sure that there is something called "two-man business"...anyway

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 3, 2006
  5. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Martin Jay Guest

    In message <sVP5g.55285$>, Luigi Donatello
    Asero <> writes
    >In order to distinguish several paragraphs I have also created different
    >Each of these has been distinguished through a "class" and and an "id"
    >I guess that I should define these classes and ids on my external style
    >sheet. But I wonder how I could distinguish them visually.
    >Would it be good to use different background colours? If I do that, the text
    >would get less readable.

    You could use coloured background, coloured text, or coloured borders.
    Or all of them. :)

    Obviously some colours go better together than others: even someone with
    pretty good eyesight and a descent monitor will find yellow text on a
    white background difficult to read.

    A good web browser will allow visitors to ignore your styling if they
    have difficulty with it or don't like it.
    --
    Martin Jay

    Martin Jay, May 3, 2006
  6. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    In article <sVP5g.55285$>,
    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > On the page
    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php
    > I have tried to write much information about Italy.
    > I often update this page.
    > In order to distinguish several paragraphs I have also created different
    > Each of these has been distinguished through a "class" and and an "id"
    > I guess that I should define these classes and ids on my external style
    > sheet. But I wonder how I could distinguish them visually.
    > Would it be good to use different background colours? If I do that, the text
    > would get less readable.

    Text won't get less readable because you have different
    background colours unless you choose bad combinations. The big
    problem with help on this particular query on your page is that
    not many people here would be game to suggest any such solution
    because it would add yet another layer of higgledepiggeldy to the
    already quite higgledipiggeldy look of the whole thing.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 3, 2006
  7. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > I am not sure that there is something called "two-man business"...anyway

    Of course there is. It's a business a little bigger than a one man
    business, and a little smaller than a three man business.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, May 3, 2006
  8. "Martin Jay" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > In message <sVP5g.55285$>, Luigi Donatello
    > Asero <> writes
    > >In order to distinguish several paragraphs I have also created different
    > >Each of these has been distinguished through a "class" and and an "id"
    > >I guess that I should define these classes and ids on my external style
    > >sheet. But I wonder how I could distinguish them visually.
    > >Would it be good to use different background colours? If I do that, the

    text
    > >would get less readable.

    > You could use coloured background, coloured text, or coloured borders.
    > Or all of them. :)
    >
    > Obviously some colours go better together than others: even someone with
    > pretty good eyesight and a descent monitor will find yellow text on a
    > white background difficult to read.
    >
    > A good web browser will allow visitors to ignore your styling if they
    > have difficulty with it or don't like it.
    > --
    > Martin Jay

    Borders might be an option.
    However, colours are no efffective options for blind people...
    so, how could I distinguish the divs in a way which is effective for them
    as well?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 3, 2006
  9. "dorayme" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > In article <sVP5g.55285$>,
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >
    > > On the page
    > > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php
    > > I have tried to write much information about Italy.
    > > I often update this page.
    > > In order to distinguish several paragraphs I have also created different
    > > Each of these has been distinguished through a "class" and and an "id"
    > > I guess that I should define these classes and ids on my external style
    > > sheet. But I wonder how I could distinguish them visually.
    > > Would it be good to use different background colours? If I do that, the

    text
    > > would get less readable.

    > Text won't get less readable because you have different
    > background colours unless you choose bad combinations. The big
    > problem with help on this particular query on your page is that
    > not many people here would be game to suggest any such solution
    > because it would add yet another layer of higgledepiggeldy to the
    > already quite higgledipiggeldy look of the whole thing.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    First of all, how is it going with the finger?
    Is it better now?
    I did not mean that the use of several colors would be the best solution,
    I am only wondering how to distinguish these <divs>
    Besides, I find that black on white is the most readable combination.
    By the way are you coming to Europe this year?
    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 3, 2006
  10. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    In article <ymT5g.55303$>,
    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > > Text won't get less readable because you have different
    > > background colours unless you choose bad combinations. The big
    > > problem with help on this particular query on your page is that
    > > not many people here would be game to suggest any such solution
    > > because it would add yet another layer of higgledepiggeldy to the
    > > already quite higgledipiggeldy look of the whole thing.
    > >
    > > --
    > > dorayme

    > First of all, how is it going with the finger?
    > Is it better now?
    > I did not mean that the use of several colors would be the best solution,
    > I am only wondering how to distinguish these <divs>
    > Besides, I find that black on white is the most readable combination.
    > By the way are you coming to Europe this year?

    Yes the finger is mending, thanks.

    Divs can be sufficiently distinguished by their content
    (including enclosed headings) without the need for any extra
    fandangling around with css and html. (When talking to you, dear
    Luigi, I like to introduce a new bit of English slang each time.)

    Yes, I have to come to answer some questions from the German
    police regarding the remains they found of your German attackers.
    My men may have gone a little far in carrying out my instructions
    (which was to beat them to within an inch of their lives but no
    more).

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 3, 2006
  11. Luigi Donatello Asero

    David Segall Guest

    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I am building the site https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
    >On the page
    >https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php
    >I have tried to write much information about Italy.
    >I often update this page.
    >In order to distinguish several paragraphs I have also created different
    >Each of these has been distinguished through a "class" and and an "id"
    >I guess that I should define these classes and ids on my external style
    >sheet. But I wonder how I could distinguish them visually.
    >Would it be good to use different background colours? If I do that, the text
    >would get less readable.
    >Any suggestions?

    Don't do it. Have one style for all your divs and paragraphs that
    contain routine information and make them as gentle on the eye as
    possible. If you have a paragraph that you want to emphasise use a
    graphic that, for example, indicates it is new or a caution about
    dangerous holidays.

    If I may add some gratuitous advice. Put the information near the top
    of the page rather than wasting the space on a search box and a choice
    of languages. And please, remove the menu items for which there is no
    content. Imagine my disappointment when I rushed to "Men's Shoes"
    wondering how they could possibly be connected with holidays in Italy.

    David Segall, May 3, 2006
  12. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
    <> vouchsafed:

    >> Text won't get less readable because you have different
    >> background colours unless you choose bad combinations. The big
    >> problem with help on this particular query on your page is that
    >> not many people here would be game to suggest any such solution
    >> because it would add yet another layer of higgledepiggeldy to the
    >> already quite higgledipiggeldy look of the whole thing.
    >>
    >> --
    >> dorayme

    > First of all, how is it going with the finger?

    Luigi! Now what are you going to say if she replies, "The finger's okay
    but the rest of the body is falling apart?"

    > Is it better now?
    > I did not mean that the use of several colors would be the best
    > solution, I am only wondering how to distinguish these <divs>
    > Besides, I find that black on white is the most readable combination.
    > By the way are you coming to Europe this year?

    Compatible pastels make good div backgrounds if the page is amenable to a
    block effect.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.

    Neredbojias, May 3, 2006
  13. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Martin Jay Guest

    In message <WdT5g.55302$>, Luigi Donatello
    Asero <> writes

    >Borders might be an option.
    >However, colours are no efffective options for blind people...
    >so, how could I distinguish the divs in a way which is effective for them
    >as well?

    Lots of useful information here:
    <http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/code/public_rnib00
    3460.hcsp>

    Do browsers for the blind ignore style sheets? I wonder if something
    like this would work:

    CSS:

    ..hide{
    display: none;
    }

    HTML:

    Perhaps the best way to distinguish groups of paragraphs is to give them
    headings, which you appear to have done anyway.
    --
    Martin Jay

    Martin Jay, May 3, 2006
  14. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Each of these has been distinguished through a "class" and and an "id"
    > I guess that I should define these classes and ids on my external style
    > sheet. But I wonder how I could distinguish them visually.

    Put display: none; on every second one, and visibility: hidden; on the
    others. :)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    My Usenet is improved; yours could be too:

    Mark Parnell, May 4, 2006
  15. "Neredbojias" <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html> skrev i
    meddelandet news:Xns97B87C3C69E5httpwwwneredbojiasco@208.49.80.251...
    > To further the education of mankind, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
    > <> vouchsafed:
    >
    > >> Text won't get less readable because you have different
    > >> background colours unless you choose bad combinations. The big
    > >> problem with help on this particular query on your page is that
    > >> not many people here would be game to suggest any such solution
    > >> because it would add yet another layer of higgledepiggeldy to the
    > >> already quite higgledipiggeldy look of the whole thing.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> dorayme

    > > First of all, how is it going with the finger?

    > Luigi! Now what are you going to say if she replies, "The finger's okay
    > but the rest of the body is falling apart?"

    Well, actually, we do not even know whether it is she or he

    > > Is it better now?
    > > I did not mean that the use of several colors would be the best
    > > solution, I am only wondering how to distinguish these <divs>
    > > Besides, I find that black on white is the most readable combination.
    > > By the way are you coming to Europe this year?

    > Compatible pastels make good div backgrounds if the page is amenable to a
    > block effect.

    Sure. But that does not help blind people to distinguish them.
    Any other suggestion?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 4, 2006
  16. "David Segall" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hello,
    > >I am building the site https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
    > >On the page
    > >https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php
    > >I have tried to write much information about Italy.
    > >I often update this page.
    > >In order to distinguish several paragraphs I have also created different
    > >Each of these has been distinguished through a "class" and and an "id"
    > >I guess that I should define these classes and ids on my external style
    > >sheet. But I wonder how I could distinguish them visually.
    > >Would it be good to use different background colours? If I do that, the

    text
    > >would get less readable.
    > >Any suggestions?

    > Don't do it. Have one style for all your divs and paragraphs that
    > contain routine information and make them as gentle on the eye as
    > possible. If you have a paragraph that you want to emphasise use a
    > graphic that, for example, indicates it is new or a caution about
    > dangerous holidays.

    Well, I thought that I had better distinguish every <div> from the other...
    (Guidelines for accessibility)
    Perhaps I should have a look here
    http://www.w3.org/WAI/

    > If I may add some gratuitous advice. Put the information near the top
    > of the page rather than wasting the space on a search box and a choice
    > of languages. And please, remove the menu items for which there is no
    > content. Imagine my disappointment when I rushed to "Men's Shoes"
    > wondering how they could possibly be connected with holidays in Italy.

    Sorry, I do not agree.
    The first choice should be the language, not the topic.
    As to your disappointment, I would not advice you to visit the english part
    of the website because it is still very much under construction...
    one option for me would be to make it accessible only to registered users
    which is also an option which might be chosen later even for other parts of
    the
    site in other languages.

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 4, 2006
  17. "Martin Jay" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > In message <WdT5g.55302$>, Luigi Donatello
    > Asero <> writes
    >
    > >Borders might be an option.
    > >However, colours are no efffective options for blind people...
    > >so, how could I distinguish the divs in a way which is effective for

    them
    > >as well?

    > Lots of useful information here:
    > <http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/code/public_rnib00
    > 3460.hcsp>
    >
    > Do browsers for the blind ignore style sheets? I wonder if something
    > like this would work:
    >
    > CSS:
    >
    > .hide{
    > display: none;
    > }
    >
    > HTML:

    > Perhaps the best way to distinguish groups of paragraphs is to give them
    > headings, which you appear to have done anyway.

    Well, yes, I have already done it but that is something which does not
    belong to CSS, does it?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 4, 2006
  18. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Well, actually, we do not even know whether it is she or he

    Well, dorayme claims to be female, and due to the lack of evidence
    otherwise, I'm going to believe her.

    Mark Parnell, May 4, 2006
  19. "Mark Parnell" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    > > Well, actually, we do not even know whether it is she or he

    > Well, dorayme claims to be female, and due to the lack of evidence
    > otherwise, I'm going to believe her.

    When did dorayme write that?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 4, 2006
  20. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
    <> declared in alt.html:
    > "Mark Parnell" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Well, dorayme claims to be female, and due to the lack of evidence
    >> otherwise, I'm going to believe her.

    > When did dorayme write that?

    I don't know whether she's ever written it, but she told me in the pub
    the other night. Yeah, she might have had a bit to drink beforehand, but
    Martians can hold their drink can't they?

    Mark Parnell, May 4, 2006