How to distinguish several <div>

Luigi Donatello Asero

Hello,
I am building the site https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
On the page
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php
I have tried to write much information about Italy.
I often update this page.
In order to distinguish several paragraphs I have also created different
Each of these has been distinguished through a "class" and and an "id"
I guess that I should define these classes and ids on my external style
sheet. But I wonder how I could distinguish them visually.
Would it be good to use different background colours? If I do that, the text
would get less readable.
Any suggestions?
I have also tried to create an index (under construction)
The same works
for https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html

Luigi Donatello Asero

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Hire a designer and become a two-man business?

If I should become a two-man business I would probably try and cooperate
with some person who does something else than design...

Luigi Donatello Asero

--

I am not sure that there is something called "two-man business"...anyway

Martin Jay

Luigi Donatello said:
In order to distinguish several paragraphs I have also created different
Each of these has been distinguished through a "class" and and an "id"
I guess that I should define these classes and ids on my external style
sheet. But I wonder how I could distinguish them visually.
Would it be good to use different background colours? If I do that, the text
would get less readable.

You could use coloured background, coloured text, or coloured borders.
Or all of them. :)

Obviously some colours go better together than others: even someone with
pretty good eyesight and a descent monitor will find yellow text on a
white background difficult to read.

A good web browser will allow visitors to ignore your styling if they
have difficulty with it or don't like it.

dorayme

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
On the page
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php
I have tried to write much information about Italy.
I often update this page.
In order to distinguish several paragraphs I have also created different
Each of these has been distinguished through a "class" and and an "id"
I guess that I should define these classes and ids on my external style
sheet. But I wonder how I could distinguish them visually.
Would it be good to use different background colours? If I do that, the text
would get less readable.

Text won't get less readable because you have different
background colours unless you choose bad combinations. The big
problem with help on this particular query on your page is that
not many people here would be game to suggest any such solution
because it would add yet another layer of higgledepiggeldy to the
already quite higgledipiggeldy look of the whole thing.

Toby Inkster

Luigi said:
I am not sure that there is something called "two-man business"...anyway

Of course there is. It's a business a little bigger than a one man
business, and a little smaller than a three man business.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Martin Jay said:
You could use coloured background, coloured text, or coloured borders.
Or all of them. :)

Obviously some colours go better together than others: even someone with
pretty good eyesight and a descent monitor will find yellow text on a
white background difficult to read.

A good web browser will allow visitors to ignore your styling if they
have difficulty with it or don't like it.

Borders might be an option.
However, colours are no efffective options for blind people...
so, how could I distinguish the divs in a way which is effective for them
as well?

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
Text won't get less readable because you have different
background colours unless you choose bad combinations. The big
problem with help on this particular query on your page is that
not many people here would be game to suggest any such solution
because it would add yet another layer of higgledepiggeldy to the
already quite higgledipiggeldy look of the whole thing.

First of all, how is it going with the finger?
Is it better now?
I did not mean that the use of several colors would be the best solution,
I am only wondering how to distinguish these <divs>
Besides, I find that black on white is the most readable combination.
By the way are you coming to Europe this year?

dorayme

Text won't get less readable because you have different
background colours unless you choose bad combinations. The big
problem with help on this particular query on your page is that
not many people here would be game to suggest any such solution
because it would add yet another layer of higgledepiggeldy to the
already quite higgledipiggeldy look of the whole thing.

First of all, how is it going with the finger?
Is it better now?
I did not mean that the use of several colors would be the best solution,
I am only wondering how to distinguish these <divs>
Besides, I find that black on white is the most readable combination.
By the way are you coming to Europe this year?[/QUOTE]

Yes the finger is mending, thanks.

Divs can be sufficiently distinguished by their content
(including enclosed headings) without the need for any extra
fandangling around with css and html. (When talking to you, dear
Luigi, I like to introduce a new bit of English slang each time.)

Yes, I have to come to answer some questions from the German
police regarding the remains they found of your German attackers.
My men may have gone a little far in carrying out my instructions
(which was to beat them to within an inch of their lives but no
more).

David Segall

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Hello,
I am building the site https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
On the page
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php
I have tried to write much information about Italy.
I often update this page.
In order to distinguish several paragraphs I have also created different
Each of these has been distinguished through a "class" and and an "id"
I guess that I should define these classes and ids on my external style
sheet. But I wonder how I could distinguish them visually.
Would it be good to use different background colours? If I do that, the text
would get less readable.
Any suggestions?
Don't do it. Have one style for all your divs and paragraphs that
contain routine information and make them as gentle on the eye as
possible. If you have a paragraph that you want to emphasise use a
graphic that, for example, indicates it is new or a caution about
dangerous holidays.

If I may add some gratuitous advice. Put the information near the top
of the page rather than wasting the space on a search box and a choice
of languages. And please, remove the menu items for which there is no
content. Imagine my disappointment when I rushed to "Men's Shoes"
wondering how they could possibly be connected with holidays in Italy.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
First of all, how is it going with the finger?

Luigi! Now what are you going to say if she replies, "The finger's okay
but the rest of the body is falling apart?"
Is it better now?
I did not mean that the use of several colors would be the best
solution, I am only wondering how to distinguish these <divs>
Besides, I find that black on white is the most readable combination.
By the way are you coming to Europe this year?

Compatible pastels make good div backgrounds if the page is amenable to a
block effect.

Martin Jay

Luigi Donatello said:
Borders might be an option.
However, colours are no efffective options for blind people...
so, how could I distinguish the divs in a way which is effective for them
as well?

Lots of useful information here:
<http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/code/public_rnib00
3460.hcsp>

Do browsers for the blind ignore style sheets? I wonder if something
like this would work:

CSS:

..hide{
display: none;
}

HTML:

Perhaps the best way to distinguish groups of paragraphs is to give them
headings, which you appear to have done anyway.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
Each of these has been distinguished through a "class" and and an "id"
I guess that I should define these classes and ids on my external style
sheet. But I wonder how I could distinguish them visually.

Put display: none; on every second one, and visibility: hidden; on the
others. :)

Luigi Donatello Asero

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, "Luigi Donatello Asero"

Luigi! Now what are you going to say if she replies, "The finger's okay
but the rest of the body is falling apart?"

Well, actually, we do not even know whether it is she or he
Compatible pastels make good div backgrounds if the page is amenable to a
block effect.

Sure. But that does not help blind people to distinguish them.
Any other suggestion?

Luigi Donatello Asero

David Segall said:
Don't do it. Have one style for all your divs and paragraphs that
contain routine information and make them as gentle on the eye as
possible. If you have a paragraph that you want to emphasise use a
graphic that, for example, indicates it is new or a caution about
dangerous holidays.

Well, I thought that I had better distinguish every <div> from the other...
(Guidelines for accessibility)
Perhaps I should have a look here
http://www.w3.org/WAI/
If I may add some gratuitous advice. Put the information near the top
of the page rather than wasting the space on a search box and a choice
of languages. And please, remove the menu items for which there is no
content. Imagine my disappointment when I rushed to "Men's Shoes"
wondering how they could possibly be connected with holidays in Italy.

Sorry, I do not agree.
The first choice should be the language, not the topic.
As to your disappointment, I would not advice you to visit the english part
of the website because it is still very much under construction...
one option for me would be to make it accessible only to registered users
which is also an option which might be chosen later even for other parts of
the
site in other languages.

}

HTML:

Perhaps the best way to distinguish groups of paragraphs is to give them
headings, which you appear to have done anyway.

Well, yes, I have already done it but that is something which does not
belong to CSS, does it?

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
Well, actually, we do not even know whether it is she or he

Well, dorayme claims to be female, and due to the lack of evidence
otherwise, I'm going to believe her.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero

Well, dorayme claims to be female, and due to the lack of evidence
otherwise, I'm going to believe her.

When did dorayme write that?

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
When did dorayme write that?

I don't know whether she's ever written it, but she told me in the pub
the other night. Yeah, she might have had a bit to drink beforehand, but
Martians can hold their drink can't they?