How to distrib my dll

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jay, Aug 6, 2008.

  1. Jay

    Jay Guest

    I've created a dll (class file - vb.net).
    This code references a non .net dll (3rd party application sdk)

    When I build the dll it also copies this other dll to the output folder.

    Now... as the dll I've built is .net I can't use regserver32.
    When I am in visual studio (2008) I open a VS command prompt and when I try
    to use RegAsm (or whatever the util is - can't check on home PC) it tells me
    that it is not a valid command.

    My questions are:

    1. Why is it not a command? Does 2008 have something different?
    2. I need to distrib this dll to all our client machines (PCs and thin
    clients), how will I reg the dll on their machines? The 3rd part app is not
    ..net so I cannot just drop it into the program folder.
    3. I think the 3rd part app expects this code to be registered (maybe in the
    old fashioned way). How will this dll get a progID in the registry so that
    the app recognises and finds the code when I point it to the code, which is
    done as dllname.class.

    Am I going to have to redo this dll in vb6?

    Hope all of that made sense
    Jay, Aug 6, 2008

  2. INLINE

    "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > I've created a dll (class file - vb.net).
    > This code references a non .net dll (3rd party application sdk)
    >
    > When I build the dll it also copies this other dll to the output folder.
    >
    > Now... as the dll I've built is .net I can't use regserver32.
    > When I am in visual studio (2008) I open a VS command prompt and when I
    > try to use RegAsm (or whatever the util is - can't check on home PC) it
    > tells me that it is not a valid command.
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > 1. Why is it not a command? Does 2008 have something different?

    I can run regasm from a VS 2008 command prompt without problem. I do have
    2005 (from SQL Server) on my box, but I am not sure that means anything as
    3.5 is built on 2.0.

    > 2. I need to distrib this dll to all our client machines (PCs and thin
    > clients), how will I reg the dll on their machines? The 3rd part app is
    > not .net so I cannot just drop it into the program folder.

    Create an installer

    > 3. I think the 3rd part app expects this code to be registered (maybe in
    > the old fashioned way). How will this dll get a progID in the registry so
    > that the app recognises and finds the code when I point it to the code,
    > which is done as dllname.class.

    As long as you have .NET installed on the client machine, you should be
    fine. You might also want to look at PostBuild, as well, as it creates
    native assemblies out of .NET code:
    http://www.xenocode.com/Products/Postbuild/

    It is also an obfuscator, if you do not want native generation.

    > Am I going to have to redo this dll in vb6?

    Since all of your clients are COM based, it might be a good idea. The
    problem here is you have COM code calling .NET code which is calling COM
    code. Very messy.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:
    http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

    | Think outside the box! |
    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Aug 6, 2008

  3. Jay

    Guest

    On Aug 7, 2:03 am, "Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)"
    <> wrote:
    > INLINE
    >
    > "Jay" <> wrote in message

    > > I've created a dll (class file - vb.net).
    > > This code references a non .net dll (3rd party application sdk)

    > > When I build the dll it also copies this other dll to the output folder..

    > > Now... as the dll I've built is .net I can't use regserver32.
    > > When I am in visual studio (2008) I open a VS command prompt and when I
    > > try to use RegAsm (or whatever the util is - can't check on home PC) it
    > > tells me that it is not a valid command.

    > > My questions are:

    > > 1. Why is it not a command? Does 2008 have something different?

    > I can run regasm from a VS 2008 command prompt without problem. I do have
    > 2005 (from SQL Server) on my box, but I am not sure that means anything as
    > 3.5 is built on 2.0.
    >
    > > 2. I need to distrib this dll to all our client machines (PCs and thin
    > > clients), how will I reg the dll on their machines? The 3rd part app is
    > > not .net so I cannot just drop it into the program folder.

    > Create an installer
    >
    > > 3. I think the 3rd part app expects this code to be registered (maybe in
    > > the old fashioned way). How will this dll get a progID in the registry so
    > > that the app recognises and finds the code when I point it to the code,
    > > which is done as dllname.class.

    > As long as you have .NET installed on the client machine, you should be
    > fine. You might also want to look at PostBuild, as well, as it creates
    > native assemblies out of .NET code:http://www.xenocode.com/Products/Postbuild/
    >
    > It is also an obfuscator, if you do not want native generation.
    >
    > > Am I going to have to redo this dll in vb6?

    > Since all of your clients are COM based, it might be a good idea. The
    > problem here is you have COM code calling .NET code which is calling COM
    > code. Very messy.
    >
    > --
    > Gregory A. Beamer
    > MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
    >
    > Subscribe to my bloghttp://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/lists/feed.rss
    >
    > or just read it:http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

    > | Think outside the box!                               |

    Good stuff thanks.
    I've managed to run RegAsm from the VS program group shortcut.
    Couldn't run it from the command window in VS. Sorted now.
    Have regged the dll and the 3rd party app is finding it fine.

    How do I create an installer to distrib this to clients?
    , Aug 6, 2008