how to distribute application?

Neil Chambers

I am working in VS2008 and my website has a corresponding solution file in a
different directory. I want other people to be able to work on this project
from a version control system but I am missing a piece of the puzzle. My
site (classes, aspx files etc) have been submitted to revision control but
my colleagues can't work on them due to a missing solution file.

1. what is the best way to ensure all appropriate files are put under source
control?
2. is the directory structure significant? ie. can I just send out the
solution files via mail?
3. how can I avoid this situation in the future?
4. gah!

Cheers,

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

There are a couple of ways to handle things.

1. You can also put the solution file into source control. Make sure you do
not put the .usr files there, however, as it will override any settings on
their box, which is a pain.

2. They can rebuild local solution files on their desktops by putting the
files in the same order.

3. If the file structure is equivalent, you can send them the .sln file and
they can open it. They then save it locally.

The easiest way to avoid things is check into source control from VS. This
only works if you can check in directly, whcih some source control systems
do not allow. A second option is using save as on every sln file and save
the the main project directory (or a preconfigured place in source control).

Neil Chambers

Many thanks, George!