How to distribute Java Advanced Imaging as part of a custom installer

Dobedani

Hi There,

We have developed a Java Web Start app. The customer now also wants an
offline installer for the Windows platform. I wrote a shell script and
included a check for Java Advanced Imaging (JAI). If it is not, the
Windows installer for JAI is started.
Apart from the fact that the script is giving problems, the customer
feels that the installer is not fancy enough. And if the user has more
than one JRE installed, the risk is that JAI is installed into the
wrong JRE.

Is it possible somehow to include the JAI files into a custom
installer, so that the user does not need to indicate into which JRE
he / she wants to install? If so, please tell me how to go about it!

BTW, any suggestions about what tools to use for developing a good
installer are welcome. TIA

Kind regards,
Dobedani

Andrew Thompson

( javaws -import ?)
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am using that option in my script to
install my app. In addition, I tried to use that option to install the
JAI library, but it did not work. Did I do something wrong maybe? Have
you been successfull with it?

I have not yet tried importing simple apps., let alone
apps. that use extensions, but it is something I have
been meaning to try.

I *suspect* you might have to -import the extensions
in 'reverse order'. That is, if application 'a' uses extension
'b', then to import it, you would need to first -import the
extension 'b', then afterwards -import the 'a' application.

To provide more help, I would require more detailed
information on the JNLP files(s) and exact input and
output.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Dobedani

( javaws -import ?)

..
I have not yet tried importing simple apps., let alone
apps. that use extensions, but it is something I have
been meaning to try.

I *suspect* you might have to -import the extensions
in 'reverse order'. That is, if application 'a' uses extension
'b', then to import it, you would need to first -import the
extension 'b', then afterwards -import the 'a' application.

To provide more help, I would require more detailed
information on the JNLP files(s) and exact input and
output.

Hi Andrew and others,
I tried again to import JAI. First I downloaded the file jai-1.1.3-
latest.jnlp from http://download.java.net/media/jai/webstart/release/
and then all JAR's and DLL's required for my platform as they are
listed in that JNLP file to directory C:\Temp. I then entered:
C:\TEMP>javaws -import -codebase file:/C:/Temp/jai-1.1.3-latest.jnlp

The library did not appear in the Java App Cache Viewer.
Then I moved all the JAR's and DLL's to this subdirectory:
1.1.3/windows-i586 and tried again. No success!

What other tricks could I try? Any suggestions are welcome! TIA

Kind regards,
Dobedani

Dobedani

Dear All,

For the record, I wish to report here which line we decided to follow
in order to obtain a so-called idiot proof offline installer for our
Java Web Start app. We made a MSI out of the JAI installer from Sun,
to enable silent instalation of JAI. Furthermore, I am working on a
KIX script to automate the installation tasks - see http://www.kixtart.org

HTH & Greetings,
Dobedani