How to do "Jump" (link?)

Galsaba

My html file is under the name index.html.
I want that if some one goes to this page, it will automatically
"jump" to a diferent page, wich is "main.html" ,
without clicking on any links, lines, buttons, etc.

Thanks

Joel

Sid Ismail

On 02 Dec 2003 16:38:10 GMT, (e-mail address removed) (Galsaba) wrote:

: My html file is under the name index.html.
: I want that if some one goes to this page, it will automatically
: "jump" to a diferent page, wich is "main.html" ,
: without clicking on any links, lines, buttons, etc.

Ask your host.
I did, when registering my site, and www.elsid.co.za catches
www.elsid.co.za/index.html

Sid

Steve R.

Galsaba wrote in message ...
My html file is under the name index.html.
I want that if some one goes to this page, it will automatically
"jump" to a different page, wich is "main.html"

Then why don't you just put the content of 'main.htm' onto the 'index.htm' page and
just rejiggle your internal links (if you have any) :~)

Steve.

Galsaba

Because I want to keep the name i wanted. Also, I wanted to know how to do
it...

Louis Somers

(e-mail address removed) (Galsaba) wrote in m18.aol.com:
My html file is under the name index.html.
I want that if some one goes to this page, it will automatically
"jump" to a diferent page, wich is "main.html" ,
without clicking on any links, lines, buttons, etc.

Thanks

Joel

Here is a javascript redirection. Make an index.html file with this in it:

<head>
window.top.location.href="main.html";
</script>
<title>please wait...</title>
</head>
Please wait, Redirecting...

Galsaba

Great, and I appreciate it, but there must be html command that do the
same...do u know?

Louis Somers

(e-mail address removed) (Galsaba) wrote in m10.aol.com:
Great, and I appreciate it, but there must be html command that do the
same...do u know?

Not any HTML that I know of, though you can use a .htaccess file in your
directory if the server is running Apache. That will be even better than
letting the user first load the wrong file. Put this line in it:

DirectoryIndex main.html

Don't give the file any extension (.txt or so) but save it exactly with the
name ".htaccess". This only works on an Apache server.

PS. Leave the "onload="BreakOut();" in the body tag away in my last post if
you'r going to use it.

Sid Ismail

On 02 Dec 2003 18:19:26 GMT, (e-mail address removed) (Galsaba) wrote:

: Great, and I appreciate it, but there must be html command that do the
: same...do u know?

Ask your server - the cname thingy...

Sid

Jeff Weiss

Add this inside of your <head></head> section

where 0 is the number of seconds to wait.

rf

Jeff Weiss said:
Add this inside of your <head></head> section

where 0 is the number of seconds to wait.

Which, if it works, effectively breaks the back button.

Cheers
Richard.

+DiamondEagle

Great, and I appreciate it, but there must be html command that do the
same...do u know?

<head>
</head>

Change the 3 seconds value in the meta tag to whatever you require...
1 will give you an almost instant redirect. 10 will give you a long
wait before the redirection.

You also need change the "url=" to the url that you want to redirect
to.

Jukka K. Korpela

+DiamondEagle said:
content="3;url=http://www.somesite.co.za">

Yes, why do things the right way (actual HTTP redirection, easy to do
if you just bother checking FAQs) when you can mess around with
trickery that sometimes does what you want, in an ugly way?
Change the 3 seconds value in the meta tag to whatever you
require...

.... your users to bear, unless they do things their way and go
elsewhere on their own.
1 will give you an almost instant redirect.

So that the user gets annoyed when he doesn't know what's going on and
whether he just got thrown away from something.
10 will give
you a long wait before the redirection.

Hardly. The user won't wait that long. There's the whole World Wide Web
to surf around, instead of waiting for clueless "redirections".