    Please give some advice how could I do it .

    THanks.

    Perseus

    perseus, Jul 15, 2004

  2. perseus

    Chris Smith Guest

    perseus wrote:
    > I want to do online payment through visa. I want to send a string of
    > credit card number and expiry date to a platform and then it will tell me
    > whether it's a wrong one and will credit it to my bank. I tried looking at
    > paypal but it seems that you have to go to paypal site everytime.

    You need to get an account with an organization that provides this
    service. I don't know if PayPal does, but even if they do I would pick
    a more trustworthy organization to conduct my financial transactions if
    I were you.

    Google for "merchant account" and "credit card processing" for someone
    to do this for you.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Jul 15, 2004

  3. perseus

    ak Guest

    ak, Jul 15, 2004
  4. perseus

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:32:23 +0800, "perseus" <>
    wrote or quoted :

    > I want to do online payment through visa. I want to send a string of
    >credit card number and expiry date to a platform and then it will tell me
    >whether it's a wrong one and will credit it to my bank. I tried looking at
    >paypal but it seems that you have to go to paypal site everytime.
    >
    > Please give some advice how could I do it .

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/shoppingcart.html
    http://mindprod.com/creditcard.html
    http://mindprod.com/products.html#WRAPPER

    for various approaches to your problem

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 16, 2004
  5. perseus

    Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, perseus wrote:

    > HI all,
    >
    > I want to do online payment through visa. I want to send a string of
    > credit card number and expiry date to a platform and then it will tell me
    > whether it's a wrong one and will credit it to my bank. I tried looking at
    > paypal but it seems that you have to go to paypal site everytime.
    >
    > Please give some advice how could I do it .
    >
    > THanks.
    >
    > Perseus

    The idea of some un-encrypted string floating around _sounds_ bad to me.
    Shouldn't it be an object, to start with? Shouldn't it be encrypted,
    somehow? dunno about the details, just some constructive criticism :)

    FWIW lotsa books detail all the steps right up to this.

    Thufir H.

    , Jul 16, 2004
  6. perseus

    Sudsy Guest

    wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, perseus wrote:

    <snip>
    >> I want to do online payment through visa. I want to send a string of
    >>credit card number and expiry date to a platform and then it will tell me
    >>whether it's a wrong one and will credit it to my bank. I tried looking at
    >>paypal but it seems that you have to go to paypal site everytime.

    <snip>
    > The idea of some un-encrypted string floating around _sounds_ bad to me.
    > Shouldn't it be an object, to start with? Shouldn't it be encrypted,
    > somehow? dunno about the details, just some constructive criticism :)
    >
    > FWIW lotsa books detail all the steps right up to this.

    PayPal has a document available showing exactly how to use their
    service for credit card payment processing. Whether you use their
    shopping cart or your own app, all communications take place over
    HTTPS so the information is encrypted...

    Chris: Where did the "trustworthy" jibe come from?

    Sudsy, Jul 16, 2004
  7. perseus

    Carl Howells Guest

    Sudsy wrote:

    > PayPal has a document available showing exactly how to use their
    > service for credit card payment processing. Whether you use their
    > shopping cart or your own app, all communications take place over
    > HTTPS so the information is encrypted...
    >
    > Chris: Where did the "trustworthy" jibe come from?

    You're kidding, right? Paypal has an amazing history of freezing
    people's accounts with no warning, no explanation, and not releasing the
    money that's in the accounts.

    I don't use them since they froze my account. (My account was for
    payment only, so I didn't lose any money because of it.) This was after
    a small mixup with my bank, which I quickly corrected. But because of
    that mixup, they flat-out refused to honor my account unless I faxed
    them a copy of my ID, and gave them my bank account number.

    Excuse me? I'm not the one doing *them* a service. I don't need to put
    up with that invasive crap. And my experience with them really isn't
    atypical. Lots of people have similar stories, and Paypal universally
    isn't interested in satisfying their customers.

    Take a look at their "buyer protection" program, for instance. Anybody
    who used Paypal to pay for something can claim they never received what
    they paid for, and Paypal will give them their money back (and take it
    from the merchant) unless the merchant can prove they *shipped* whatever
    it was that was ordered. That's right. The seller needs to provide a
    receipt from FedEx or something similar to prove that they actually
    shipped whatever was paid for. Even if the purchase wasn't of a
    physical item. No exceptions, once again.

    And there's a lot more they do horribly wrong. Those are just the
    issues I've run into either personally or through a friend.

    Carl Howells, Jul 16, 2004
  8. perseus

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:23:35 -0400, Sudsy <>
    wrote or quoted :

    >Chris: Where did the "trustworthy" jibe come from?

    Paypal does questionable things like reverse payments long after they
    have given you the money. You are paying them a fat fee to detect and
    deal with fraud, but they ding the vendors when PayPal slips up.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 16, 2004
  9. perseus

    Liz Guest

    "Carl Howells" <> wrote in message
    > Sudsy wrote:
    >

    > > PayPal has a document available showing exactly how to use their
    > > service for credit card payment processing. Whether you use their
    > > shopping cart or your own app, all communications take place over
    > > HTTPS so the information is encrypted...
    > >
    > > Chris: Where did the "trustworthy" jibe come from?
    > >

    > You're kidding, right? Paypal has an amazing history of freezing
    > people's accounts with no warning, no explanation, and not releasing the
    > money that's in the accounts.
    >
    > I don't use them since they froze my account. (My account was for
    > payment only, so I didn't lose any money because of it.) This was after
    > a small mixup with my bank, which I quickly corrected. But because of
    > that mixup, they flat-out refused to honor my account unless I faxed
    > them a copy of my ID, and gave them my bank account number.

    I refuse to give them my bank account number too. With using a credit
    card you have some protection from the credit card company. But with
    a bank they can drain your account at any moment and you have no protection.

    Liz, Jul 16, 2004
  10. perseus

    Liz Guest

    "perseus" <> wrote in message
    > HI all,
    >
    > I want to do online payment through visa. I want to send a string of
    > credit card number and expiry date to a platform and then it will tell me
    > whether it's a wrong one and will credit it to my bank. I tried looking at
    > paypal but it seems that you have to go to paypal site everytime.
    >
    > Please give some advice how could I do it .

    I would use a web service, there is at least one, use the search
    capability (I forget the name right now.) This uses soap I believe,
    but it is a simple interface you can put into any of your programs.
    Basically they verify the credit card number and all that and also
    handle debit or credit the money to from your bank.

    Liz, Jul 16, 2004
  11. perseus

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 02:41:36 GMT, "Liz" <> wrote or
    quoted :

    >I refuse to give them my bank account number too. With using a credit
    >card you have some protection from the credit card company. But with
    >a bank they can drain your account at any moment and you have no protection.

    Some people open a special account and keep only minimal money in it
    to block PayPal's thefts.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 16, 2004
  12. perseus

    Sudsy Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:23:35 -0400, Sudsy <>
    > wrote or quoted :
    >>Chris: Where did the "trustworthy" jibe come from?

    > Paypal does questionable things like reverse payments long after they
    > have given you the money. You are paying them a fat fee to detect and
    > deal with fraud, but they ding the vendors when PayPal slips up.

    Yet another reason to avoid the "bleeding edge"! I was not aware
    of all these foul-ups, but then I'm what could be considered a
    "late adopter". I don't jump on the latest bandwagon but prefer
    to see how things play out, especially when it comes down to
    making recommendations to my clients.
    I'll privately experiment with promising technologies but won't
    "bet the bank" on immature solutions.
    Would I feel comfortable suggesting PayPal for small Internet
    retailers? Based on my own experience, yes. Is it the optimum
    solution for all applications? No.
    I use another 'net payment processor in situations where the
    business anticipates enough volume to justify a merchant account.
    You have to shop around for the best deal, after all! ;-)

    Thanks to all who responded: I had no idea about the storied
    history.

    Sudsy, Jul 17, 2004
  13. perseus

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:15:05 -0400, Sudsy <>
    wrote or quoted :

    >Would I feel comfortable suggesting PayPal for small Internet
    >retailers?

    I find people are very reluctant to buy anything at my site via
    Paypal. People tell me this. The catch is, PayPal is much easier to
    set up than other systems. Everyone has a horror story. PayPal/eBay
    seem to be on the side of the scamsters.

    I have notes on many of the schemes at
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/shoppingcart.html

    I am doing one myself for the Health Action Network Society. It takes
    complex membership applications including credit card info over the
    net encrypted. The transactions go through as ordinary Visa and
    Mastercard mail transactions. This means no extra monthly processing
    fee. Both banks and service bureaux really ding you for online credit
    card processing. The catch is my scheme requires a Java Applet.

    Some of the code it uses is posted at

    Roedy Green, Jul 17, 2004
  14. perseus

    Sudsy Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    <snip> The transactions go through as ordinary Visa and
    > Mastercard mail transactions. This means no extra monthly processing
    > fee. Both banks and service bureaux really ding you for online credit
    > card processing...

    But that's the nature of the beast! As a merchant, you accept the 1.5-
    3% overhead. It's the price you're willing to pay to get guaranteed
    payment. In Canada, the big banks have foisted Interac on consumers:
    EVERY party in the transaction gets dinged!
    Merchants have to pay for the terminals plus monthly and per transaction
    fees. Consumers pay monthly fees for their debit cards as well as
    transaction fees.
    Who benefits? The banks! Look at their quarterly profits!
    They did it right in the States, using the existing credit card network
    and tying your Visa or MasterCard "cheque card" (aka debit card) to your
    bank account.
    I'm not suggesting that it's free (except for consumers) but the costs
    are far lower for merchants. A little bit of research will prove me
    right. Been there, done that...

    Sudsy, Jul 17, 2004
  15. perseus

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 01:58:35 -0400, Sudsy <>
    wrote or quoted :

    >But that's the nature of the beast! As a merchant, you accept the 1.5-
    >3% overhead. It's the price you're willing to pay to get guaranteed
    >payment. In Canada, the big banks have foisted Interac on consumers:
    >EVERY party in the transaction gets dinged!

    Basically the banks are not set up to deal with tiny online customers.
    IF you deal directly they want a huge bond to give you the right to
    work online. This means you have to go to a service bureau who will
    change you both a stiff monthly fee and a stiff % fee. You need
    volume to play. You can't easily work up.

    It is quite a bit easier if you have a storefront to get an ordinary
    Merchant visa/mastercard and do a bit of online stuff on the side as
    mail transactions. Then all you need is a way to get the credit card
    stuff to you reliably and unsnooped. With low volumes, you just write
    up a paper transaction.

    If you are a charity or a school, you may already be doing PAC (Pre
    authorised chequing) taking money out of bank accounts. You can add
    Mastercard and Visa to that batch process relatively inexpensively.
    This lets you handle yearly membership fees etc automatically.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jul 17, 2004
  16. In article <40f68770$>,
    "perseus" <> wrote:

    > HI all,
    >
    > I want to do online payment through visa. I want to send a string of
    > credit card number and expiry date to a platform and then it will tell me
    > whether it's a wrong one and will credit it to my bank. I tried looking at
    > paypal but it seems that you have to go to paypal site everytime.
    >
    > Please give some advice how could I do it .
    >
    > THanks.
    >
    > Perseus

    Paymentech, Versign, etc...

    They and many others will do verifications and deposits for a cut of the
    money. Some offer various API styles ranging from minimal to full
    accounting systems. Paymentech also offers a low flat rate if you
    interface with their grossly obsolete low-level API.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jul 17, 2004
  17. perseus

    marcus Guest

    Bless Paypal for taking the time to have a human being type person
    examine your domcumentation after an admitted banking error.

    Bless Paypal for doing exactly what Visa and Mastercard and your Bank
    will do with your Merchant Account, which is called a charge-back BTW,
    in exactly the same manner and following their own carefully written
    rules. The buyer is always protected, and the merchant is always
    assumed to be at fault. Get used to it.

    You would Bless Paypal too, if you were on the other side of any of
    these situations you mention.

    -- clh

    marcus, Jul 19, 2004