How to do real time web classroom presentation in Java?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Yiyu, Apr 7, 2007.

  1. Yiyu

    Yiyu Guest

    Hi, I have never programmed in Java before. Mostly I do numerical and
    statistics programming and my main tools are C++ and Matlab. So please
    tolerate me if my questions look a bit dumb.

    I am going to teach a college course and I want to do real time
    presentation on website, so if one of my students can't come to campus
    during class hours she can just log onto the course webpage and see /
    hear exactly what I am talking about.

    I want my course page to have following functions:

    1) There is an area(window) on the website showing the powerpoint
    slides I am showing in classroom.
    2) I will have a microphone with me and the remote student can also
    hear me real time.
    3) When I click on an embeded item on powerpoint pages, for example,
    an Excel sheet, the Excel sheet shows in the window.
    4)There is also an instant messenger window on the webpage, so student
    can type in her questions and I will see it instantly.
    5) If I need to demonstrate the computation steps I will write on a
    writing pad and the student can see what I am writing, which is like
    writing on a blackboard.
    6) All these can be recorded and be replayed later.

    this looks like a web conferencing tool but I haven't find one which
    is both free and having all the functions I need. Also I want all
    these thing be embeded on a webpage and the students don't have to
    install any additional program on their comptuers. They can simply use
    any computer in the lab, go to my website and instantly begin the
    class.

    So my questions:
    1) Can all these things be done in Java? If yes, what kind of library/
    technology I should use?
    2) Is there any other language / toolbox /system doing this kind of
    thing better?
    3) Any related book / online tutorials ?
    4) Are there already some free program \ toolbox providing all the
    functions I need?

    Thank you very much.

    Yiyu

    Yiyu, Apr 7, 2007

  2. Yiyu

    Yiyu Guest

    By the way, simply using a webcam is not the solution I want.

    Yiyu, Apr 7, 2007

  3. Yiyu

    Christian Guest

    Yiyu schrieb:
    > Hi, I have never programmed in Java before. Mostly I do numerical and
    > statistics programming and my main tools are C++ and Matlab. So please
    > tolerate me if my questions look a bit dumb.

    I think what you want to do is rather advanced... so the question should
    rather be. Do you have time to program something that advanced before
    your couse starts..
    this seems to be a project that could take several months if you can't
    work 40 hours a week or more on it.
    So I would recommend you to have a look at "Lecturnity".
    (http://www.lecturnity.de/)

    It can at least do some of the things you want, though it is not for
    realtime interaction. Your Students could then just download your course
    when the recording is finished and skim through what they want to see.

    Christian

    Christian, Apr 7, 2007
  4. Yiyu

    Yiyu Guest

    On Apr 7, 3:57 am, Christian <> wrote:
    > Yiyuschrieb:> Hi, I have never programmed in Java before. Mostly I do numerical and
    > > statistics programming and my main tools are C++ and Matlab. So please
    > > tolerate me if my questions look a bit dumb.

    > I think what you want to do is rather advanced... so the question should
    > rather be. Do you have time to program something that advanced before
    > your couse starts..
    > this seems to be a project that could take several months if you can't
    > work 40 hours a week or more on it.
    > So I would recommend you to have a look at "Lecturnity".
    > (http://www.lecturnity.de/)
    >
    > It can at least do some of the things you want, though it is not for
    > realtime interaction. Your Students could then just download your course
    > when the recording is finished and skim through what they want to see.
    >
    > Christian

    Absolutely I am willing to spend hundreds of hours to do it. The more
    I think about this idea, the more I find it interesting. And since it
    seems no one has done it well yet, it's worth trying. The only thing I
    want to make sure before I start is whether it's technically feasible
    to do everything in Java? Or does C# combined with Windows
    Presentation Foundation have a better chance? I searched the web and
    find most existing web conferencing softwares are using Flash Media
    Server, which I never used before and way too expensive to me.

    Thanks

    Yiyu

    Yiyu, Apr 8, 2007
  5. Yiyu wrote:
    > On Apr 7, 3:57 am, Christian <> wrote:
    >> Yiyuschrieb:> Hi, I have never programmed in Java before. Mostly I do numerical and
    >>> statistics programming and my main tools are C++ and Matlab. So please
    >>> tolerate me if my questions look a bit dumb.

    >> I think what you want to do is rather advanced... so the question should
    >> rather be. Do you have time to program something that advanced before
    >> your couse starts..
    >> this seems to be a project that could take several months if you can't
    >> work 40 hours a week or more on it.
    >> So I would recommend you to have a look at "Lecturnity".
    >> (http://www.lecturnity.de/)
    >>
    >> It can at least do some of the things you want, though it is not for
    >> realtime interaction. Your Students could then just download your course
    >> when the recording is finished and skim through what they want to see.
    >>
    >> Christian

    > Absolutely I am willing to spend hundreds of hours to do it. The more
    > I think about this idea, the more I find it interesting. And since it
    > seems no one has done it well yet, it's worth trying. The only thing I
    > want to make sure before I start is whether it's technically feasible
    > to do everything in Java? Or does C# combined with Windows
    > Presentation Foundation have a better chance? I searched the web and
    > find most existing web conferencing softwares are using Flash Media
    > Server, which I never used before and way too expensive to me.

    I don't have the necessary knowledge to estimate whether it is feasible,
    and if so whether it is doable in a few person-months or not, but I do
    know how I would find out.

    Take a look at one or more of the non-commercial implementations, such
    as Classroom Presenter, http://www.cs.washington.edu/education/dl/presenter/

    It does not meet all your stated requirements, but it is similar enough
    that reading their papers may tell you something about why the
    developers made the choices they made.

    Given their academic background, it is quite likely that they would
    respond to e-mail from you asking about their experiences. How much work
    have they put into it so far?

    Patricia

    Patricia Shanahan, Apr 8, 2007
  6. Yiyu

    Christian Guest

    Patricia Shanahan schrieb:
    > Yiyu wrote:
    >> On Apr 7, 3:57 am, Christian <> wrote:
    >>> Yiyuschrieb:> Hi, I have never programmed in Java before. Mostly I do

    >> Absolutely I am willing to spend hundreds of hours to do it. The more
    >> I think about this idea, the more I find it interesting. And since it
    >> seems no one has done it well yet, it's worth trying. The only thing I

    Don't underestimate these projects. I know that Lecturnity has also an
    academic background.. It is based on at several PHD-Thesis and a lot of
    manpower and several years of experience is in this.

    Though it may be a different background. Students that can't come to
    university just watch it some time later.. shure they can't do any live
    questions... but usually you can just rewind the recording, that should
    answer half of any students question .. nearly all other questions can
    be answered with google when you are at home and just can press the
    pause button for a recording. On the other side do you really want to
    have an eye on some chatroom during your lecture and answer the
    questions as well as pay attention to the feedback the people in the
    classrom give you with gestures?

    Doing a good presentation is hard, having one additional source of
    distraction may be to much for someone who is not a genious with this...
    and a lot of professors in computer science should rather invest some
    time in attending a seminar on presentation skills then just entrust
    everything on the tech he or she uses.

    >> want to make sure before I start is whether it's technically feasible
    >> to do everything in Java? Or does C# combined with Windows
    >> Presentation Foundation have a better chance? I searched the web and

    I think some of the hardest things are rather independant form the
    choice of your programming language..

    Like painting on the screen, and undo functions for your drawing ..
    such stuff there is a lot of detail work that needs to be done..

    Just presenting some slides, recoding and a chatsystem may be the least
    work in your project.

    > Take a look at one or more of the non-commercial implementations, such
    > as Classroom Presenter,
    > http://www.cs.washington.edu/education/dl/presenter/

    thx for this link that looks interesting ... Lecturnity is just a bit
    expensive just for doing a tutorial for some free software.

    Christian, Apr 8, 2007