How to do server-side processing and then display pop-up with pop-up blocker enabled

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by domtam@hotmail.com, Feb 3, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi all,

    Here is what I want: when a user clicks a <asp:button>, its event
    handler will do some server-side processing and then pop up a windows
    of another page.

    As far as I know, if no pop-up blocker is disabled, the button event
    handler can be something like the following to pop-up a window after
    server-side processing

    // Do server-side processing first

    // Then pop-up window
    string strjscript = "<script language='javascript' id='PopUpScript'>";
    strjscript += "window.open('popup.aspx', '_blank',
    'height=300, width=200');";
    strjscript += "</script" + ">";

    if (!Page.IsClientScriptBlockRegistered("PopUpScript"))
    Page.RegisterClientScriptBlock("PopUpScript", strjscript);

    However, google and yahoo toolbar pop-up blockers is able to block this
    type of pop-up windows.

    If there is no need to do server-side processing, I can do the
    following in Page_Load

    btnPopUp.Attributes.Add("OnClick", "window.open('popup.aspx',
    '_blank', 'height=300, width=200');return false;");

    Google toolbar popup-blocker won't block this type of pop-up, but
    Yahoo toolbar will block it. So, if we need to get around yahoo toolbar
    pop-up blocker, I think that we have to use an anchor (or
    <asp:hyperlink> equivalently)

    <asp:HyperLink ID="hyperlink1" NavigateUrl="PopUp.aspx" Runat="server"
    Text="Click here"/>

    hyperlink1.Attributes.Add("OnClick", "window.open('popup.aspx',
    '_blank', 'height=300, width=200');return false;");

    Unfortunately, the above methods cannot do any server-side processing
    before popping-up the windows.

    So, is there a method that can both do server-side processing and
    bypass the pop-up blockers?

    Thanks
    Dominic

    , Feb 3, 2006

  2. Bruce Barker Guest

    yes.

    1) you can use an AJAX technology to do the popup so the server is called
    first.
    2) do the server side process in the popup page (pass info thru the query
    string - 2k limit)

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Feb 3, 2006

  3. Randy Webb Guest

    Re: How to do server-side processing and then display pop-up withpop-up blocker enabled

    Bruce Barker said the following on 2/3/2006 6:03 PM:
    > yes.
    >
    > 1) you can use an AJAX technology to do the popup so the server is called
    > first.

    And then ask why it still doesn't work?

    > 2) do the server side process in the popup page (pass info thru the query
    > string - 2k limit)

    Assuming you get a popup to start with....

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Feb 4, 2006