how to dock another application under Linux ?

Stef Mientki

hello,

Under windows it's fairly easy to capture an application
and dock in to your own wxPython application,
something like this:
- start the external application from within wxPython
- give the caption of the application a special name
- find de windows handler of the applications mainform
- tell the applications mainform, that some wxpanel is the parent

I use this to dock VPython in wxPython.

Is there a similar solution for Linux ( and Mac) ?

thanks,
Stef

David Boddie

Under windows it's fairly easy to capture an application
and dock in to your own wxPython application,
something like this:
- start the external application from within wxPython
- give the caption of the application a special name
- find de windows handler of the applications mainform
- tell the applications mainform, that some wxpanel is the parent

I use this to dock VPython in wxPython.

Is there a similar solution for Linux ( and Mac) ?

On X11 systems, you can use the X11Embed protocol to do this. I would be
surprised if wxWidgets doesn't have a component for this given that there's
one for GTK+:

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable/GtkSocket.html

David