How to drag a contol into a table cell

active

I have a table on my page with rows and cells.

I try to drag a table from the toolbox into one of the cells but the drag
symbol shows it is not allowed (and the table does not drop)

Can I inset a table into a cell?

If so how.

My problem does not really relate only to the table since I can't drag any
control into the cell.

Thanks for any help

Masudur

I have a table on my page with rows and cells.

I try to drag a table from the toolbox into one of the cells but the drag
symbol shows it is not allowed (and the table does not drop)

Can I inset a table into a cell?

If so how.

My problem does not really relate only to the table since I can't drag any
control into the cell.

Thanks for any help

Hi...

Did you tried added controls in html view....
Please switch to html view from design view....
Now try drag and drop the elements in the table cell...
suppose to create the html markup for the control

Thanks
Masudur
http://munnacs.110mb.com

active

Hi...

Did you tried added controls in html view....
Please switch to html view from design view....
Now try drag and drop the elements in the table cell...
suppose to create the html markup for the control

Thanks
Masudur

Thanks, that worked (I added a row/cell with text so it would show) but when
I switch to Design view and check the properties the new table (Table2) does
not show there. I need to add rows and cells there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Masudur

Thanks, that worked (I added a row/cell with text so it would show) but when
I switch to Design view and check the properties the new table (Table2) does
not show there. I need to add rows and cells there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

hi again...
well just select the table ...
and press f4... property window will popup... :)
select row collection
add as many row as you need...
for each row ... also add some cell collection form the row collection
window...
and in the html view then drag and drop stuff in cells

hope that helps

Thanks
Masudur
http://munnacs.110mb.com

active

hi again...
well just select the table ...

single click the word "Table" and asp:Table bolds
Press F4 the bold goes away but no property window pops up.

Double click "Table" and it becomes white text on blue background
Press F4 and Properties pane title bar becomes white text on blue
but the pane is empty - no properties show.

Can't seem to get to Properties!

Thanks

Masudur

single click the word "Table" and asp:Table bolds
Press F4 the bold goes away but no property window pops up.

Double click "Table" and it becomes white text on blue background
Press F4 and Properties pane title bar becomes white text on blue
but the pane is empty - no properties show.

Can't seem to get to Properties!

Thanks

Hey
I assume you are doing in design mode....
do it in design mode...
select the table...
and then use property window...

thanks
masudur
http://munnacs.110mb.om

active

Thanks for sticking with me.

Here what happened:

In Design mode I couldn't drag a table from the toolbox to a cell in an
existing table.

So you showed me how to do it in Source mode.

I did that and added some cells.

Switched to source mode and can see the cell contents.

But the table (Table2) does not show in the Properties dropdown box nor can
I select it.

Thanks again

Are there two tables - HTML and ASP?
If so how can I tell which I included?

Mythran

active said:
Thanks for sticking with me.

Here what happened:

In Design mode I couldn't drag a table from the toolbox to a cell in an
existing table.

So you showed me how to do it in Source mode.

I did that and added some cells.

Switched to source mode and can see the cell contents.

But the table (Table2) does not show in the Properties dropdown box nor
can I select it.

Thanks again

Are there two tables - HTML and ASP?
If so how can I tell which I included?

Try using an HTML table instead of an ASP.Net table. The ASP.Net table is
more for adding controls at run-time instead of design-time while the HTML
table allows controls to be added at design time.

HTH,
Mythran

active

I'll check that out.

thanks

Mythran said:
Try using an HTML table instead of an ASP.Net table. The ASP.Net table is
more for adding controls at run-time instead of design-time while the HTML
table allows controls to be added at design time.

HTH,
Mythran

Mythran

My department is still using VS.Net 2003, so I'm not sure what is available
in 2005+...

In .Net 2003, in the toolbox, you can select the HTML tab to show the HTML
controls and drag-n-drop the Table control from there. The Table control
under this tab is the control that I'm talking about. The control under
"Web Forms" is the web forms control and is NOT the control I'm talking
about.

To do this by hand, you can hand code an html table using:

Once you start adding controls and text, you may want to remove the width
attribute for the table (so it dynamically increases/decreases based on the
content rather than a hard-coded value). If you remove the width attribute
before adding controls, the table will render as 0px wide and you won't be
able to (easily) drag-n-drop controls onto it (although, you can cut and
paste if you are able to identify the cursor being INSIDE a cell in the
table.

HTH,
Mythran

active

You're right I was using the "Web Forms" control.
Assumed that was the newer/better way to go.
Are there two set of people:
1)Those that like and use the HTML controls
2)Those that like and use the Web forms controls

or typically does one use which ever fits the occasion?

Thanks fore the info

Mythran

active said:
You're right I was using the "Web Forms" control.
Assumed that was the newer/better way to go.
Are there two set of people:
1)Those that like and use the HTML controls
2)Those that like and use the Web forms controls

or typically does one use which ever fits the occasion?

Thanks fore the info

Whichever fits the occasion...

You would use the Web Forms Table control when you need to add rows/cells
dynamically at run time and the HTML Table control when you need to
manipulate child controls, rows, columns, cells at design time. You can
also manipulate everything in the html table at runtime by setting the runat
attribute on the table and/or children of the table and give them an ID
value.

HTH,
Mythran

active