. how to dynamiclayy display a web page's url ?

baaa

hi

this is my first post
also css-html newbie

but got a bunch of web pages

is it possible
sans javascript

automatically
automagically
dynamically

post on every and each web page
the URL thereof

just by writing some external CSS
?

as u can see
i am the laziest webpage developer there is.!

Jim Moe

baaa said:
is it possible
sans javascript

to post on every and each web page
the URL thereof
The URL is already displayed in the URL bar. Why duplicate it in the page?

Jose

The URL is already displayed in the URL bar. Why duplicate it in the page?

Is it reliable? Even through redirection?

Jose

Jose

The URL is already displayed in the URL bar.
Of course it is.

Uh... not really. I have a page at an .org address, and the .com
redirects there. If I enter the .com in my browser, the .org page
shows, but the title bar shows .com.

Jose

Toby Inkster

Jose said:
Uh... not really. I have a page at an .org address, and the .com
redirects there. If I enter the .com in my browser, the .org page
shows, but the title bar shows .com.

If the ".com" shows in the address bar, then you're still looking at the
".com" website. Of course, it may be that the ".com" website looks the
same as the ".org" website.

The only (semi-)exception to this rule is with framesets. With framesets,
your browser is simultaneously displaying at least two documents -- the
address bar only displays the address of one of these (the main frameset
document).

Jose

If the ".com" shows in the address bar, then you're still looking at the
".com" website.

There's only one page - it is the .org page. .com is set up as a
redirect. Maybe the OP wants (in this example, for example) to indicate
that the page's "true" address is .org. (to the extent that "true" has
any meaning).

I've also heard (but don't know) that the address bar is vulnerable to
alteration via scripts. True or false?

Jose

Toby Inkster

Jose said:
There's only one page - it is the .org page. .com is set up as a
redirect.

If it redirects, then the address bar will reflect this by changing.

If the address bar doesn't change, then it hasn't redirected.

Jose

If it redirects, then the address bar will reflect this by changing.
If the address bar doesn't change, then it hasn't redirected.

Ok, then what does happen? There's only one file on the server. It can
be reached either of two ways.

Jose

Toby Inkster

Jose said:
Ok, then what does happen? There's only one file on the server. It can
be reached either of two ways.

Then that is two seperate addresses which just happen to have the same
content.

Jonathan N. Little

Jose said:
There's only one page - it is the .org page. .com is set up as a
redirect. Maybe the OP wants (in this example, for example) to indicate
that the page's "true" address is .org. (to the extent that "true" has
any meaning).

I've also heard (but don't know) that the address bar is vulnerable to
alteration via scripts. True or false?

Jose
With IE <=6 you can put a fake address bar image over top of the real
address bar (kinda speaks to why scripting the chrome is a bad idea for
all those who lament that in Gecko you cannot style the scrollbars and
such like IE).

Jonathan N. Little

Jose said:
Ok, then what does happen? There's only one file on the server. It can
be reached either of two ways.

Possible or the other can be a folder with an .htaccess file with a
directive to redirect to the one URL or a server side script could do it.

Alan J. Flavell

Then that is two seperate addresses which just happen to have the
same content.

Indeed. Which is poor netiquette (or should I say webiquette?). It
would be better to configure the server to issue 301 permanent
redirect, from the non-preferred name(s) of the server to its
preferred name. In Apache this is easy enough.

Jose

Indeed. Which is poor netiquette (or should I say webiquette?). It
would be better to configure the server to issue 301 permanent
redirect, from the non-preferred name(s) of the server to its
preferred name. In Apache this is easy enough.

Thanks... when I get the keys to the website I'll do that. What does
the user get? A 301 not found? Or do they get sent to the right page
with the right domain?

Jose

David Segall

Jose said:
Is it reliable? Even through redirection?
Not entirely. Cloaking enables a web page to be hosted at one domain
but appear to be hosted at another. I suppose any use of frames makes
it difficult to define the "real" address of an entire web page.

Toby Inkster

David said:
I suppose any use of frames makes it difficult to define the "real"
address of an entire web page.

The "real" address is that of the frameset, which is displayed by the
address bar with utmost reliability.

David Segall

Toby Inkster said:
The "real" address is that of the frameset, which is displayed by the
address bar with utmost reliability.
That is true by definition. However, cloaking is designed to provide
one address for the address bar while ensuring that the viewer sees
only the content from another address. If the OP was interested in the
source of the content rather than the source of the frameset the
address bar is not the place to look.

Jose

404 is Not Found.
301 is a Permanent Redirect.

With a 404 I get a page that says "404 not found" or somesuch. With a
301 I get a page that says.... what? "Permanent Redirect"? And what
do the clients do with that?

Jose