    html, ftp, etc.?

    Thanks,
    Scott Kelley
    Scott Kelley, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Scott Kelley wrote:

    > A friend needs to post a calendar on her website showing when she has
    > classes available, upcoming events, etc.
    >
    > Is there something out there that provides a very simple way to update
    > a calendar on a web page so that she can do so without knowing
    > anything about html, ftp, etc.?

    There's any number of scripts out there. Google for calendar script and
    see what you fancy trying.

    --
    frostie
    http://brightonfixedodds.net
    Robert Frost-Bridges, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Scott Kelley

    George Self Guest

    Scott Kelley wrote:

    > A friend needs to post a calendar on her website showing when she has
    > classes available, upcoming events, etc.
    >
    > Is there something out there that provides a very simple way to update a
    > calendar on a web page so that she can do so without knowing anything
    > about html, ftp, etc.?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Scott Kelley

    At the risk of inviting a world of flame upon my poor, tired self - I'd like
    to offer a suggestion. I work at a college and occasionally have an
    instructor, staff member, or someone who wants to post some document online
    (like your friend's calendar). In these cases, the person doesn't want to
    learn HTML; just post some information.

    I advise those folks to create the document with Word and "Save as
    Webpage." (They could also use OpenOffice, StarOffice, or other such
    software - but my users are typically MS folks.) Then they can put that
    page on the Web.

    I know that these products create horribly mangled HTML and I would not rely
    on them myself. However, for someone like you have mentioned perhaps she
    would be comfortable using some product like Word or Excel (or their Open
    Source counterparts) to create and maintain a calendar. She could then post
    her information to the Web for her clients and be happy. Ideally, you could
    then persuade her to later learn HTML to get "more power" for her site.

    You will have to show her how to post her page to the Web. That would mean a
    short lesson covering some FTP program. However, I've found that even my
    "slowest" students can learn how to use a product like Winsock FTP to
    upload a Web page. In fact, if she is a good friend and all she wants to do
    is post a monthly calendar you could offer to do that for her. Just have
    her e-mail you her Word document and you could convert it to HTML and
    upload it.

    Well, there it is. While I am a strong supporter of upholding Web standards,
    I also feel like what is most essential is getting information out there
    where people can use it; even if that means some folks will rely on
    products like Word.

    --George
    George Self, Nov 19, 2003
  4. Robert Frost-Bridges <> wrote:
    > There's any number of scripts out there. Google for calendar script
    > and see what you fancy trying.

    I would choose a PHP-based one with a good interface, rather than the MS
    Word solution descibed below. No need to learn how to FTP, just typing into
    the program online.
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com