    I dont have dreamweaver but would like to make minor changes to the site
    like add text and add links tro files. What can I use that is FREE to edit
    my pages? Can I do it in word perfect? If not what can I use?

    Jason, Jan 7, 2005

  2. Jason

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Jason <> said:

    > How can I edit and make changes to dreamweaver pages without having
    > dreamweaver.

    What on earth are Dreamweaver pages?

    > What can I use that is FREE to edit
    > my pages?

    Ah, you mean HTML files.

    HTML
    free:
    jedit: http://www.jedit.org/
    nedit: http://www.nedit.org/
    screem: http://www.screem.org/
    ewisoft: http://www.ewisoft.com/
    netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
    araneae: http://www.araneae.com/
    1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
    crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
    ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
    acehtml: http://freeware.acehtml.com/
    notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
    tswebeditor: http://tswebeditor.net.tc/
    html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
    context: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
    pspad: http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html
    websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
    metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
    quanta (linux): http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
    notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
    grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
    editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
    stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
    matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/

    not free:
    textpad: http://www.textpad.com/ [$30]
    notetab: http://www.notetab.com/ [$10+]
    editplus: http://www.editplus.com/ [$30]
    ultraedit: http://www.idmcomp.com/ [$35]
    editpad: http://www.editpadpro.com/ [$40]
    hypertext studio: http://www.olsonsoft.com/ [$100]
    namo: http://www.namo.com/products/webeditor/ [$90]
    acehtml pro: http://www.visicommedia.com/acehtml/ [$50]
    ibm websphere: http://www-3.ibm.com/software/webservers/hpbuilder/ [$70]
    spider writer: http://www.actiprosoftware.com/Products/SpiderWriter/
    [$80]

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Jan 7, 2005

  3. Jason

    rf Guest

    "Jason" <> wrote

    > I dont have dreamweaver but would like to make minor changes to the site
    > like add text and add links tro files. What can I use that is FREE to

    edit
    > my pages?

    Notepad? Wordpad? Crimzon editor?

    Can I do it in word perfect?

    No. word perfect is a word processor. Well I suppose you could use it to
    edit normal text files but I wouldn't.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 7, 2005
  4. Jason

    Jason Guest

    "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message
    > "Jason" <> wrote
    >
    > > I dont have dreamweaver but would like to make minor changes to the site
    > > like add text and add links tro files. What can I use that is FREE to

    > edit
    > > my pages?

    > Notepad? Wordpad? Crimzon editor?
    >
    > Can I do it in word perfect?
    >
    > No. word perfect is a word processor. Well I suppose you could use it to
    > edit normal text files but I wouldn't.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    Well the page needs to be brought up in a WYSIWUG editor. People updating
    need to be able to see the layout as they are doing it, not familiar with
    code at all

    Jason, Jan 7, 2005
  5. Jason

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Mark Parnell scribbled in the mud:

    > Previously in alt.html, Jason <> said:
    >
    >> How can I edit and make changes to dreamweaver pages without having
    >> dreamweaver.

    > What on earth are Dreamweaver pages?
    >
    >> What can I use that is FREE to edit
    >> my pages?

    > Ah, you mean HTML files.
    >
    > HTML
    > free:
    > jedit: http://www.jedit.org/
    > nedit: http://www.nedit.org/
    > screem: http://www.screem.org/
    > ewisoft: http://www.ewisoft.com/
    > netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
    > araneae: http://www.araneae.com/
    > 1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
    > crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
    > ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
    > acehtml: http://freeware.acehtml.com/
    > notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
    > tswebeditor: http://tswebeditor.net.tc/
    > html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
    > context: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
    > pspad: http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html
    > websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
    > metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
    > quanta (linux): http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
    > notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
    > grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
    > editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
    > stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
    > matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/

    You missed one but I won't tell brucie.

    --
    D?
    http://wipkip.biz just to raise my PR

    Duende, Jan 7, 2005
  6. Jason

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Jan 7, 2005
  7. Jason

    rf Guest

    "Jason" <> wrote

    > Well the page needs to be brought up in a WYSIWUG editor.

    No it doesn't. Use a text editor and a browser.

    > People updating
    > need to be able to see the layout as they are doing it, not familiar with
    > code at all

    Now is the perfect time to learn.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 7, 2005
  8. Jason

    Neal Guest

    Jason <> wrote:
    > Well the page needs to be brought up in a WYSIWUG editor. People
    > updating
    > need to be able to see the layout as they are doing it, not
    > familiar with
    > code at all

    Do you have a browser? There's your WYSIWYG.

    But have at least 3. I recommend Opera, Firefox and IE. Get Lynx if
    you can too, though Opera emulates it somewhat well.

    Neal, Jan 7, 2005
  9. Jason

    Richard Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 03:36:14 GMT Jason wrote:

    > How can I edit and make changes to dreamweaver pages without having
    > dreamweaver.

    > I had a website created for me and it was done in dreamweaver.
    > Basically a
    > template and each page was built off of the template.

    > I dont have dreamweaver but would like to make minor changes to the
    > site
    > like add text and add links tro files. What can I use that is FREE to
    > edit
    > my pages? Can I do it in word perfect? If not what can I use?

    And what pray tell makes dreamweaver the only way to code?
    What can DW do that notepad can't?
    A template is nothing more than a stylesheet used over and over.
    And of course, if you search the web for "free html editors", you'll get
    enough to keep you busy for a month just trying out each one.
    HTML is nothing more than standard ascii symbols written in a specific
    manner to be decoded on the fly from a server.
    Soooo notepad handles ascii right?

    Richard, Jan 7, 2005
  10. Richard wrote:
    > A template is nothing more than a stylesheet used over and over.

    No, a template often involves including content from other files as with
    SSI. Get your facts straight.

    > HTML is nothing more than standard ascii symbols written in a specific
    > manner to be decoded on the fly from a server.

    HTML is characters represented in some encoding which are then decoded
    to Unicode on the fly by a /browser/.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 7, 2005
  11. Jason wrote:

    > Well the page needs to be brought up in a WYSIWUG editor. People updating
    > need to be able to see the layout as they are doing it, not familiar with
    > code at all

    I predict a train wreck in your future....

    You CAN NOT maintain a professional website without the ability to
    understand the code involved. Dreamweaver or any other wysiwyg editor
    will not help you. It may "seem" like you can do something but
    eventually, if you don't have the needed skills, then you will crash and
    burn.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jan 7, 2005
  12. Jason

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 03:36:14 GMT Jason wrote:
    >

    >>How can I edit and make changes to dreamweaver pages without having
    >>dreamweaver.

    >>I had a website created for me and it was done in dreamweaver.
    >>Basically a
    >>template and each page was built off of the template.

    >>I dont have dreamweaver but would like to make minor changes to the
    >>site
    >>like add text and add links tro files. What can I use that is FREE to
    >>edit
    >>my pages? Can I do it in word perfect? If not what can I use?

    > And what pray tell makes dreamweaver the only way to code?
    > What can DW do that notepad can't?
    > A template is nothing more than a stylesheet used over and over.
    > And of course, if you search the web for "free html editors", you'll get
    > enough to keep you busy for a month just trying out each one.
    > HTML is nothing more than standard ascii symbols written in a specific
    > manner to be decoded on the fly from a server.
    > Soooo notepad handles ascii right?

    DW uses a template engine that is neither HTML or an include (but
    behaves like an include). This is why I never USE the template bit of
    DW. You CANNOT edit templated files outside of DW.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 7, 2005
  13. Jason

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:
    > Previously in alt.html, Jason <> said:
    >

    >>How can I edit and make changes to dreamweaver pages without having
    >>dreamweaver.

    > What on earth are Dreamweaver pages?
    >

    >>What can I use that is FREE to edit
    >>my pages?

    > Ah, you mean HTML files.
    >
    > HTML
    > free:
    > jedit: http://www.jedit.org/
    > nedit: http://www.nedit.org/
    > screem: http://www.screem.org/
    > ewisoft: http://www.ewisoft.com/
    > netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
    > araneae: http://www.araneae.com/
    > 1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
    > crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
    > ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
    > acehtml: http://freeware.acehtml.com/
    > notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
    > tswebeditor: http://tswebeditor.net.tc/
    > html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
    > context: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
    > pspad: http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html
    > websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
    > metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
    > quanta (linux): http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
    > notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
    > grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
    > editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
    > stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
    > matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/
    >
    > not free:
    > textpad: http://www.textpad.com/ [$30]
    > notetab: http://www.notetab.com/ [$10+]
    > editplus: http://www.editplus.com/ [$30]
    > ultraedit: http://www.idmcomp.com/ [$35]
    > editpad: http://www.editpadpro.com/ [$40]
    > hypertext studio: http://www.olsonsoft.com/ [$100]
    > namo: http://www.namo.com/products/webeditor/ [$90]
    > acehtml pro: http://www.visicommedia.com/acehtml/ [$50]
    > ibm websphere: http://www-3.ibm.com/software/webservers/hpbuilder/ [$70]
    > spider writer: http://www.actiprosoftware.com/Products/SpiderWriter/
    > [$80]

    Hmmm allllll wrong.

    DW uses it's own template engine that isn't HTML. It's sort of like...
    "coldfusion lite", and can only be parsed by DW properly.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 7, 2005
  14. Jason

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Jason wrote:
    > "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Jason" <> wrote
    >>

    >>>I dont have dreamweaver but would like to make minor changes to the site
    >>>like add text and add links tro files. What can I use that is FREE to

    >>edit
    >>
    >>>my pages?

    >>Notepad? Wordpad? Crimzon editor?
    >>
    >>Can I do it in word perfect?
    >>
    >>No. word perfect is a word processor. Well I suppose you could use it to
    >>edit normal text files but I wouldn't.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Cheers
    >>Richard.
    >>

    > Well the page needs to be brought up in a WYSIWUG editor. People updating
    > need to be able to see the layout as they are doing it, not familiar with
    > code at all

    This can be done, but you need to either buy or write a "content
    management system". Basically, provide online forms where a user can
    update or change the content of your site. This generally requires your
    entire site to be generated on the fly or database driven. It's NOT
    something you can just add in after-the-fact. When you do the
    *technicle* design for a web project, this is one of the first things
    you should plan for. It's as important as the visual design and the
    actual content, because if you get it wrong your site wont work or will
    be impossible for non-tech people to update...

    In other words, start again, or train the users in HTML.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 7, 2005
  15. Jason

    rf Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> wrote

    Mir, when are you going to learn how to trim your posts?

    > DW uses a template engine that is neither HTML or an include (but
    > behaves like an include). This is why I never USE the template bit of
    > DW. You CANNOT edit templated files outside of DW.

    Ah, so they are a bit like the FrontPage templates. Waste of time :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 7, 2005
  16. SpaceGirl wrote:

    > Hmmm allllll wrong.
    > DW uses it's own template engine that isn't HTML. It's sort of like...
    > "coldfusion lite", and can only be parsed by DW properly.

    The output of dreamweaver is a text file.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jan 7, 2005
  17. Jason

    SpaceGirl Guest

    rf wrote:
    > "SpaceGirl" <> wrote
    >
    > Mir, when are you going to learn how to trim your posts?
    >

    >>DW uses a template engine that is neither HTML or an include (but
    >>behaves like an include). This is why I never USE the template bit of
    >>DW. You CANNOT edit templated files outside of DW.

    > Ah, so they are a bit like the FrontPage templates. Waste of time :)

    Yep. I've had to rebuild a couple of templated sites in the past.
    Horrible things.

    DW is great, but templates NEVER work, not without a proper CMS anyway.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 7, 2005
  18. Jason

    Steve Pugh Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    >DW uses it's own template engine that isn't HTML.

    Well the engine isn't HTML (it's actually largely JavaScript but that's
    another story) but all the template (DWT) files, Library Items (LBI)
    and the final output are all HTML. The actual 'control code' or
    whatever you want to call it is just HTML comments.

    > It's sort of like...
    >"coldfusion lite", and can only be parsed by DW properly.

    That's an insult to Cold Fusion. ;-)

    Sure, to any other editor the comments are just comments but everything
    else is HTML. Output pages can be edited in any editor and new pages
    can be created via copy. But edits to the template won't automagically
    be reflected in all pages throughout the site and the advanced features
    like repeating regions can't be used during page creation - cut and
    paste time instead.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Jan 7, 2005
  19. Jason

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    >
    >> Hmmm allllll wrong.
    >> DW uses it's own template engine that isn't HTML. It's sort of like...
    >> "coldfusion lite", and can only be parsed by DW properly.

    > The output of dreamweaver is a text file.

    Yeah, of course or how would a browser render the output? But you cant
    edit the output and expect the templates to work again if you try edit
    the file again in DW. It's a one-way process.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Jan 7, 2005
  20. Jason

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:
    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    >
    >>DW uses it's own template engine that isn't HTML.

    > Well the engine isn't HTML (it's actually largely JavaScript but that's
    > another story) but all the template (DWT) files, Library Items (LBI)
    > and the final output are all HTML. The actual 'control code' or
    > whatever you want to call it is just HTML comments.
    >

    >>It's sort of like...
    >>"coldfusion lite", and can only be parsed by DW properly.

    > That's an insult to Cold Fusion. ;-)
    >
    > Sure, to any other editor the comments are just comments but everything
    > else is HTML. Output pages can be edited in any editor and new pages
    > can be created via copy. But edits to the template won't automagically
    > be reflected in all pages throughout the site and the advanced features
    > like repeating regions can't be used during page creation - cut and
    > paste time instead.
    >
    > Steve

    Yep

    --