how to edit Dreamweaver pages without dreamweaver?

Jason

How can I edit and make changes to dreamweaver pages without having
dreamweaver.

I had a website created for me and it was done in dreamweaver. Basically a
template and each page was built off of the template.

I dont have dreamweaver but would like to make minor changes to the site
like add text and add links tro files. What can I use that is FREE to edit
my pages? Can I do it in word perfect? If not what can I use?

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
How can I edit and make changes to dreamweaver pages without having
dreamweaver.

What on earth are Dreamweaver pages?
What can I use that is FREE to edit
my pages?

Ah, you mean HTML files.

HTML
free:
jedit: http://www.jedit.org/
nedit: http://www.nedit.org/
screem: http://www.screem.org/
ewisoft: http://www.ewisoft.com/
netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
araneae: http://www.araneae.com/
1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
acehtml: http://freeware.acehtml.com/
notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
tswebeditor: http://tswebeditor.net.tc/
html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
context: http://www.fixedsys.com/context/
pspad: http://www.pspad.com/en/index.html
websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
quanta (linux): http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/

not free:
textpad: http://www.textpad.com/ [$30]
notetab: http://www.notetab.com/ [$10+]
editplus: http://www.editplus.com/ [$30]
ultraedit: http://www.idmcomp.com/ [$35]
editpad: http://www.editpadpro.com/ [$40]
hypertext studio: http://www.olsonsoft.com/ [$100]
namo: http://www.namo.com/products/webeditor/ [$90]
acehtml pro: http://www.visicommedia.com/acehtml/ [$50]
ibm websphere: http://www-3.ibm.com/software/webservers/hpbuilder/ [$70]
spider writer: http://www.actiprosoftware.com/Products/SpiderWriter/
[$80]

rf

Jason said:
I dont have dreamweaver but would like to make minor changes to the site
like add text and add links tro files. What can I use that is FREE to edit
my pages?

Notepad? Wordpad? Crimzon editor?

Can I do it in word perfect?

No. word perfect is a word processor. Well I suppose you could use it to
edit normal text files but I wouldn't.

Jason

rf said:
Notepad? Wordpad? Crimzon editor?

Can I do it in word perfect?

No. word perfect is a word processor. Well I suppose you could use it to
edit normal text files but I wouldn't.

Well the page needs to be brought up in a WYSIWUG editor. People updating
need to be able to see the layout as they are doing it, not familiar with
code at all

rf

Jason said:
Well the page needs to be brought up in a WYSIWUG editor.

No it doesn't. Use a text editor and a browser.
People updating
need to be able to see the layout as they are doing it, not familiar with
code at all

Now is the perfect time to learn.

Neal

Jason said:
Well the page needs to be brought up in a WYSIWUG editor. People
updating
need to be able to see the layout as they are doing it, not
familiar with
code at all

Do you have a browser? There's your WYSIWYG.

But have at least 3. I recommend Opera, Firefox and IE. Get Lynx if
you can too, though Opera emulates it somewhat well.

Richard

How can I edit and make changes to dreamweaver pages without having
dreamweaver.
I had a website created for me and it was done in dreamweaver.
Basically a
template and each page was built off of the template.
I dont have dreamweaver but would like to make minor changes to the
site
like add text and add links tro files. What can I use that is FREE to
edit
my pages? Can I do it in word perfect? If not what can I use?

And what pray tell makes dreamweaver the only way to code?
What can DW do that notepad can't?
A template is nothing more than a stylesheet used over and over.
And of course, if you search the web for "free html editors", you'll get
enough to keep you busy for a month just trying out each one.
HTML is nothing more than standard ascii symbols written in a specific
manner to be decoded on the fly from a server.
Soooo notepad handles ascii right?

Leif K-Brooks

Richard said:
A template is nothing more than a stylesheet used over and over.

No, a template often involves including content from other files as with
SSI. Get your facts straight.
HTML is nothing more than standard ascii symbols written in a specific
manner to be decoded on the fly from a server.

HTML is characters represented in some encoding which are then decoded
to Unicode on the fly by a /browser/.

Travis Newbury

Jason said:
Well the page needs to be brought up in a WYSIWUG editor. People updating
need to be able to see the layout as they are doing it, not familiar with
code at all

I predict a train wreck in your future....

You CAN NOT maintain a professional website without the ability to
understand the code involved. Dreamweaver or any other wysiwyg editor
will not help you. It may "seem" like you can do something but
eventually, if you don't have the needed skills, then you will crash and
burn.

SpaceGirl

Richard said:
And what pray tell makes dreamweaver the only way to code?
What can DW do that notepad can't?
A template is nothing more than a stylesheet used over and over.
And of course, if you search the web for "free html editors", you'll get
enough to keep you busy for a month just trying out each one.
HTML is nothing more than standard ascii symbols written in a specific
manner to be decoded on the fly from a server.
Soooo notepad handles ascii right?

DW uses a template engine that is neither HTML or an include (but
behaves like an include). This is why I never USE the template bit of
DW. You CANNOT edit templated files outside of DW.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

Mark said:
[...]

Hmmm allllll wrong.

DW uses it's own template engine that isn't HTML. It's sort of like...
"coldfusion lite", and can only be parsed by DW properly.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

Jason said:
Well the page needs to be brought up in a WYSIWUG editor. People updating
need to be able to see the layout as they are doing it, not familiar with
code at all

This can be done, but you need to either buy or write a "content
management system". Basically, provide online forms where a user can
update or change the content of your site. This generally requires your
entire site to be generated on the fly or database driven. It's NOT
something you can just add in after-the-fact. When you do the
*technicle* design for a web project, this is one of the first things
you should plan for. It's as important as the visual design and the
actual content, because if you get it wrong your site wont work or will
be impossible for non-tech people to update...

In other words, start again, or train the users in HTML.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

rf

Mir, when are you going to learn how to trim your posts?
DW uses a template engine that is neither HTML or an include (but
behaves like an include). This is why I never USE the template bit of
DW. You CANNOT edit templated files outside of DW.

Ah, so they are a bit like the FrontPage templates. Waste of time :)

Travis Newbury

SpaceGirl said:
Hmmm allllll wrong.
DW uses it's own template engine that isn't HTML. It's sort of like...
"coldfusion lite", and can only be parsed by DW properly.

The output of dreamweaver is a text file.

SpaceGirl

rf said:
Mir, when are you going to learn how to trim your posts?

Ah, so they are a bit like the FrontPage templates. Waste of time :)

Yep. I've had to rebuild a couple of templated sites in the past.
Horrible things.

DW is great, but templates NEVER work, not without a proper CMS anyway.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Steve Pugh

SpaceGirl said:
DW uses it's own template engine that isn't HTML.

Well the engine isn't HTML (it's actually largely JavaScript but that's
another story) but all the template (DWT) files, Library Items (LBI)
and the final output are all HTML. The actual 'control code' or
whatever you want to call it is just HTML comments.
It's sort of like...
"coldfusion lite", and can only be parsed by DW properly.

That's an insult to Cold Fusion. ;-)

Sure, to any other editor the comments are just comments but everything
else is HTML. Output pages can be edited in any editor and new pages
can be created via copy. But edits to the template won't automagically
be reflected in all pages throughout the site and the advanced features
like repeating regions can't be used during page creation - cut and
paste time instead.

Steve

SpaceGirl

Travis said:
The output of dreamweaver is a text file.

Yeah, of course or how would a browser render the output? But you cant
edit the output and expect the templates to work again if you try edit
the file again in DW. It's a one-way process.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

Steve said:
Well the engine isn't HTML (it's actually largely JavaScript but that's
another story) but all the template (DWT) files, Library Items (LBI)
and the final output are all HTML. The actual 'control code' or
whatever you want to call it is just HTML comments.

That's an insult to Cold Fusion. ;-)

Sure, to any other editor the comments are just comments but everything
else is HTML. Output pages can be edited in any editor and new pages
can be created via copy. But edits to the template won't automagically
be reflected in all pages throughout the site and the advanced features
like repeating regions can't be used during page creation - cut and
paste time instead.

Steve

Yep

--