how to edit Dreamweaver pages without dreamweaver?

Karl Core

Jason said:
Well the page needs to be brought up in a WYSIWUG editor. People updating
need to be able to see the layout as they are doing it, not familiar with
code at all

Hire a professional.

Jason

Travis Newbury said:
I predict a train wreck in your future....

You CAN NOT maintain a professional website without the ability to
understand the code involved. Dreamweaver or any other wysiwyg editor
will not help you. It may "seem" like you can do something but
eventually, if you don't have the needed skills, then you will crash and
burn.
OK let me rephrase this. I know code, I know code well....But I am not
going to be updating this site. The site was made for a church and they
have a weekly bulletin that they want to update weekly.....Yes I good do
this in a text editor but they can not. They want to do this themselves So
I need something simple that they can use to put in the text and the code.

SpaceGirl

Jason said:
OK let me rephrase this. I know code, I know code well....But I am not
going to be updating this site. The site was made for a church and they
have a weekly bulletin that they want to update weekly.....Yes I good do
this in a text editor but they can not. They want to do this themselves So
I need something simple that they can use to put in the text and the code.

Provide a form, use your server to process the form-post into a page.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Richard

DW uses a template engine that is neither HTML or an include (but
behaves like an include). This is why I never USE the template bit of
DW. You CANNOT edit templated files outside of DW.

Thanks for the insight. That's one good reason to stay away from DW then.
As it is not editable, then it can not conform to the rules and conventions
of internet protocol. Due to the fact that the html coding is not ascii.

Andy Dingley

The site was made for a church and they
have a weekly bulletin that they want to update weekly..

So run some BB or weblog software on the server. Something like phpBB
can easily do this, you just switch off all the other unwanted
features.

Toby Inkster

Jason said:
OK let me rephrase this. I know code, I know code well....But I am not
going to be updating this site. The site was made for a church and they
have a weekly bulletin that they want to update weekly...

I did something similar for a band website.

Uses a small mysql database in the background (I prefer PostgreSQL
personally, but it was being hosted on a server that didn't have that
facility) which stores a table like this:

Date
NewsHeadline
NewsArticle
PostedBy
Format

The first four are obvious, Format can be set to "HTML", "Text" or
"BBCode". The band could then post articles using plain text or, if they
were feeling clever, BBCode, and if they had any complex requirements, I
could add an article formatted using HTML.

The news page included a PHP script to load the five most recent news
items from the database. If they were formatted as Text or BBCode they'd
be converted to HTML on the fly. Then they'd be printed out.

It worked pretty well, but the band have broken up now, so I can't post a
link. I'll probably be doing the site for the lead singer's new band
though, and will reuse much of the code, including that bit!