How to edit selected row of GridView in a DetailsView?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by David Ching, Aug 31, 2007.

  1. David Ching

    David Ching Guest

    I am not getting any response to my previous question on reusing a
    DetailsView to insert and edit the selected row in a GridView.

    So I'll ask an even more basic question. Newbie alert! ;) When the user
    clicks the Edit link in a GridView, is it common to use a DetailsView to
    edit that row instead of putting the GridView into Edit mode and editing the
    row in place? I would assume so, because the GridView does not typically
    have columns for every field in the record.

    If it is common to use a DetailsView to edit, how do you get to it? Do you
    put it in another page that you redirect to, or do you do something like I
    wanted to do such as put it in a <div> tag on the same page as the GridView,
    then show it as a popup by settinig its style to "blocked"?

    And once you have this in place, can you easily repurpose the DetailsView to
    Insert a new record in addition to editing the selected one?

    I'm very sure this is one of the first things one would want to do with an
    ASP.NET database app, and I'm just not getting it. Help!

    Thanks much,
    David
    David Ching, Aug 31, 2007

  2. David Ching

    Bgreer5050 Guest

    Are you using Visual Web Developer?

    Bgreer5050, Aug 31, 2007

  3. David Ching

    David Ching Guest

    "Bgreer5050" <> wrote in message
    > Are you using Visual Web Developer?

    I'm using Visual Studio 2005 and Expression Web. But why does this matter?

    Thanks,
    David
    David Ching, Aug 31, 2007