How to efficiently work with gettext PO files when making small editsto large text values

Discussion in 'Python' started by python@bdurham.com, Jun 3, 2010.

  1. Guest

    Any one using the GNU gettext utilities to internationalize their
    python applications?

    I'm looking for tips and/or tools on how to efficiently work with
    gettext PO files when making small edits to large msgid values.
    Example: We have lots of multi-sentence/multi-paragraph messages
    that are stored in our PO message catalog files. If we make a
    very minor change to a message, perhaps editing a single sentence
    or even correcting punctuation, we lose our original translation
    when we run the msgmerge utility.

    Rather than re-translate long messages (that have already gone
    through an editorial approval process) from scratch, our
    translators return to backup copies of their PO files and
    manually search for the text of the last msgid/msgstr translation
    pair which they then diff against the current msgid values to see
    what has changed, followed by a copy and paste of the last
    translation which they then edit to reflect the updated msgid
    value.

    That's a lot of work! Certainly there must be a better way of
    handling this type of workflow?

    Is there a best practice way to archive and find previous
    translations that are no longer in a PO file? One idea that comes
    to mind is to store a unique msg id in the text of our messages
    or in the comments that precede our message and use this id to
    retrieve previous msgid/msgstr translation pairs for review. Or
    are there PO editors or online services that make this process
    more efficient?

    Thanks,
    Malcolm

    Note: This question also cross-posted on Stackoverflow (an
    excellent developer forum)
    <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2966026/how-to-efficiently-work-with-gettext-po-files-when-making-small-edits-to-large-te>
    , Jun 3, 2010