How to embed a flash movie?

cerejoster

I'm trying to embed a flash movie into my website from another server,
I successfully did that but when it finishes playing it redirects
itself to an undefined web page and I get an error page, is there a
parameter or somethig else I can do so it stops doing that, I want it
to just stay on my current page or at least to go to a webpage of my
own choice.

cwdjrxyz

I'm trying to embed a flash movie into my website from another server,
I successfully did that but when it finishes playing it redirects
itself to an undefined web page and I get an error page, is there a
parameter or somethig else I can do so it stops doing that, I want it
to just stay on my current page or at least to go to a webpage of my
own choice.

Not knowing anything about the code you are using and how the flash
movie on the other server was made, it is impossible to do anything
but guess. When making a flash movie, it is quite possible to include
various automatic links to other files in the code. If this is the
case, the only way to correct the situation is to remake the flash
movie without automatic links built in. If you made the flash movie on
the remote server, then you perhaps can do something if this is the
problem. If you do not have control of the flash movie on the remote
server, you may not be able to do anything if this is your problem. It
is also possible that some security software is kicking in. I can link
to a flash movie on a different domain of mine on the same server, but
I have never tried to link to a different server.

Travis Newbury

I'm trying to embed a flash movie into my website from another server,
I successfully did that but when it finishes playing it redirects
itself to an undefined web page and I get an error page, is there a
parameter or somethig else I can do so it stops doing that, I want it
to just stay on my current page or at least to go to a webpage of my
own choice.

I believe that should read; "I am trying to steal a flash movie from
another server...."

When it finishes the Flash is probably using getURL() to redirect to
another page. The author of the Flash used a relative URL to go
there. Probably so it would break if someone tried to steal it...

EJ Cerejo

Not knowing anything about the code you are using and how the flash
movie on the other server was made, it is impossible to do anything
but guess. When making a flash movie, it is quite possible to include
various automatic links to other files in the code. If this is the
case, the only way to correct the situation is to remake the flash
movie without automatic links built in. If you made the flash movie on
the remote server, then you perhaps can do something if this is the
problem. If you do not have control of the flash movie on the remote
server, you may not be able to do anything if this is your problem. It
is also possible that some security software is kicking in. I can link
to a flash movie on a different domain of mine on the same server, but
I have never tried to link to a different server.

I believe you should shut up instead of calling me a thief! For
starters like you, let it be known that I have complete rights on using
this flash movie but I don't have the rights to change it or to run it
on my server. If you don't know what the situation is you should not
start assuming things that you don't know about, not everyone that wants
to embed a flash movie wants to steal it and why would I do that risking
my business to get sued! It would be pretty stupid of me wouldn't it
be? Please try to get a bigger view of things. I simply don't want it
to go to the page that it goes, it creates an unnecessary step.

EJ Cerejo

Sorry about the other message it was not intended towards you. It was
intended for travis newbury. I think you are right though.

EJ Cerejo

[...]

Apparently you will have to work harder at not looking like a thief.
From your description of the problem that is what you appear to be.
You are trying to put a flash object on one of your pages that is
being served from a different server. And your complain is that a
link in the SWF (which you have no control over or you would change it
so it works) is pointing to a relative location which you can not
figure out. And you want to find a way to change the link, or to not
have it go to any link. Well, if it smells like a rose, and looks like
a rose, and feels like a rose, then it is probably a rose...
For
starters like you, let it be known that I have complete rights on using
this flash movie but I don't have the rights to change it or to run it
on my server.

You obviously do NOT have complete rights to use this or it would be
working. The author is [probably] using a relative URL in a getURL()
call. This means that you have to have that same directory structure
on your server. So either get them [the SWF suthor] to tell you the
structure, or make them change it to one that will work on your site.
If you have "complete rights" to this swf, then one of these options
will be open to you.
If you don't know what the situation is you should not
start assuming things that you don't know about, not everyone that wants
to embed a flash movie wants to steal it and why would I do that risking
my business to get sued!

I don't know, why do people do things that are illegal?
It would be pretty stupid of me wouldn't it
be?

I find it pretty stupid that you did not ask the SWF author about the
link. They have the answer for you, and since you have full right
rights to the SWF, I am sure they will be more than happy to help you
out.
Please try to get a bigger view of things. I simply don't want it
to go to the page that it goes, it creates an unnecessary step.

I gave you your solution. Ask the SWF author to either change the URL
so it works, or tell you the relative plath so you can duplicate it on
your server. If you have full rights, as you claim, then the author
will supply you with one of those things.