How to embed a text box in footertext of a GridView's boundfield

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Donzo, Oct 16, 2008.

  1. Donzo

    Donzo Guest

    Hi !

    I need to embed a text box in a footer of a GridView's boundfield
    column to get data prior to a row insert.

    The textbox is usable and showing up in the web page source using View
    Source, but I cannot see it using an alert,

    or after postback on the server side (code behind). Is there a way to
    reference such a control (embedded HTML in footertext) ?

    If so, please advise ! (I embedded buttons in the command column which
    work and execute their click events ok)

    this code builds the footertext:

    Dim grdBF As BoundField = New BoundField

    grdBF.DataField = colNamesArray(idx)

    If colIsEditableArray(idx) = "false" Then grdBF.ReadOnly = True

    'this always puts a textbox in if editable, todo: chg to add some
    input control per type:

    stCtrl = _

    "<input id=""" & colNamesArray(idx) & "textbox"" Type=""Text""
    size=""20"" maxlength=""30"" value="""">test</input>"

    If colIsEditableArray(idx) = "true" Then grdBF.FooterText = stCtrl

    this code tries to access after postback, server side, but does not
    work, fix needed:

    Dim tb As HtmlInputText =
    dataGridView.FooterRow.FindControl(colNamesArray(idx) & "textbox")

    This code tries to show it client-side, at click event, before the
    (we can show only the innertext)

    var state1 = document.getElementById("txtState");

    var deForm = document.getElementById("form1");

    state1.value = "insertclicked" //indicate state

    var tb = document.getElementById("dataGridView");

    var i,j;

    var msg;

    for(i=0; i<tb.rows.length;i++)

    msg += "\r\n" + tb.rows.cells[2].innerText;

    deForm.submit() //postback to server to save the data only

    the fix must be server side in code behind, since this all must be
    completely dynamic, and is dependent on a config file to get its table
    data from a sqldatasource which requires the boundfields in this
    gridview. fyi my templatefield columns all work fine, getting the data
    back in the request object since its otherwise blown away by a

    Regards !

    Don Collier, Senior Developer, AGI
    "Love converts hearts and gives peace."
    Donzo, Oct 16, 2008

  2. Donzo wrote:
    > Hi !
    > I need to embed a text box in a footer of a GridView's boundfield
    > column to get data prior to a row insert.

    recommended practice) , but this is a classic (COM-based) asp newsgroup.
    ASP.Net bears very little resemblance to classic ASP so, while you may be
    lucky enough to find a dotnet-knowledgeable person here who can answer your
    question, you can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a
    group where those dotnet-knowledgeable people hang out. I suggest
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet or the forums at
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Oct 16, 2008