HOW TO EMBED RSS TO ANY HTML WEB PAGE

Discussion in 'XML' started by myblueshoes .com, Jan 15, 2005.

  1. Hi I am not a programmer - and hope not to be, someday.

    But I have great respect for those who are- especially those who can
    break it down for the rest of us.

    I would like to know how I can simply have RSS feeds "appear" on a plain
    ol' HTML page.

    (I have gotten scripts to put in my <HEAD> and <BODY> tags that have not
    only, not worked- the code was visible to the end- user in my web page.)

    I've seen many cool sites that use it- and I would like to be one of
    them.... Can someone please give me the break down on what options
    there are and the installation process (on client and server side, if
    any) - to get me started?

    Thanks,
    LT
    myblueshoes.com

    myblueshoes .com, Jan 15, 2005

  2. myblueshoes .com

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 15 Jan 2005 11:00:18 -0600, myblueshoes .com
    <> wrote:

    >I would like to know how I can simply have RSS feeds "appear" on a plain
    >ol' HTML page.

    You turn it into plain ol' HTML before you send it anywhere near a
    browser. This has to happen on the _server_.

    There are any number of cutesy little DHTML scripts that run on the
    browser and will show all sorts of RSS feeds. However these are
    horribly browser dependent (read recent IE on Windows). As a result,
    they simply don't work for a great many of your site visitors - so
    don't do it that way !

    You're now looking for something that works on your server, and
    whatever server-side scripting you can obtain for it (PHP is likely).
    So find out what your scripting options are, and then Google for
    something that matches those with RSS.

    XSLT might be a part of this. But as a great many RSS feeds are
    invalid XML (RSS isn't actually an XML protocol!), then this is
    somewhat unreliable for real "24x7" grade reliability.

    --
    Smert' spamionam

    Andy Dingley, Jan 15, 2005

  3. THanx for this. let's say I can upload a php script to a scripts bin on
    apache/linux server - what's the next step?

    Any special flie extensions needed and what goes on the client side to
    call & display the feeds?

    I have never done this before- Any sample sites (to see the output)/
    scripts (to plug and play) would be appreciated-

    myblueshoes

    myblueshoes .com, Jan 16, 2005
  4. myblueshoes .com

    Jack Guest

    Hi,

    >You're now looking for something that works on your server, and
    >whatever server-side scripting you can obtain for it (PHP is likely).
    >So find out what your scripting options are, and then Google for
    >something that matches those with RSS.

    There is a free RSS to HTML script available from the FeedForAll website at:

    http://www.feedforall.com/free-php-script.htm

    It will use a PHP script to convert the RSS to html, it appears static but is
    dynamic (great for SEO). Another option is to export the feed to html using
    FeedForAll.

    Best of luck
    Jack

    Jack, Jan 17, 2005
  5. myblueshoes .com

    Nick Kew Guest

    Jack wrote:

    > There is a free RSS to HTML script available from the FeedForAll website at:
    >
    > http://www.feedforall.com/free-php-script.htm
    >
    > It will use a PHP script to convert the RSS to html, it appears static but is
    > dynamic (great for SEO). Another option is to export the feed to html using
    > FeedForAll.
    >
    > Best of luck
    > Jack

    Sounds hugely inefficient to me doing that in PHP, especially if your
    pages are anything other than static (do we know if they are)?
    The appropriate architecture for it is a filter, and the obvious
    implementation is the Apache XMLNS framework.

    --
    Nick Kew

    Nick Kew, Jan 17, 2005
  6. myblueshoes .com

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:40:28 +0000, Nick Kew
    <> wrote:

    >Sounds hugely inefficient to me doing that in PHP

    You can't have "huge inefficiencies" from doing RSS in PHP - it just
    isn't big enough! Even if it's "woefully inelegant" as an
    architecture, we're talking about 3 milliseconds vs. 2 milliseconds.

    The advantages of PHP for easy and cheap hosting outweigh almost
    anything else, until you get to fairly huge systems. I don't like it
    myself as a language, but you can't argue with those hosting costs
    (the only real competitor would be Perl, and I'm not doing _that_).

    --
    Smert' spamionam

    Andy Dingley, Jan 17, 2005
  7. myblueshoes .com

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 15 Jan 2005 19:10:20 -0600, myblueshoes .com
    <> wrote:

    >THanx for this. let's say I can upload a php script to a scripts bin on
    >apache/linux server - what's the next step?

    Next step ? You're pretty much done. The tricky bit is the one
    before, where you write (or somebody else writes) the script itself.

    >I have never done this before- Any sample sites (to see the output)/
    >scripts (to plug and play) would be appreciated-

    Sorry, I haven't a clue - not something I do.

    I don't build sites - at least I don't build many of them, or little
    ones. What _I_ build is hugely over-engineered over-complicated things
    that can twist RSS every which way -- but they aren't what most people
    want, so I do very few of them.

    While I'm doing this, I filter-feed the blogosphere and see lots of
    smart little sites building simple (but no less well-engineered)
    content displays from "everyday" uses of RSS. There's a million people
    out there writing scripts to do this, and offering them to the likes
    of your site, but it's just not something I personally have any
    hands-on with, so I can't recommend particular scripts as being
    easiest to get up and working (none of them are particularly hard
    though).

    Your next step is Google, then finding sites that offer such scripts,
    and a few example sites that use them.
    --
    Smert' spamionam

    Andy Dingley, Jan 17, 2005
  8. Many Thanks!

    Should have it up and running in no-time. My concern is keeping the user
    coming back as a result of having some dynamic content on an otherwise -
    static html page.

    I'll come back & post the site when it's got the RSS in just to show you
    that all your good advise hasn't gone to waste!

    myblueshoes .com, Jan 18, 2005