How to embed XLS files within PPT in an ASP.NET app

Guest

I have a series of XLS files which I need to embed into a PowerPoint
presentation on an IIS server. I’ll be using VB.NET. I’ve tried using an
ASPOSE.PowerPoint control to do this and it does partially work. The problem
is that when I embed the XLS files PowerPoint is not running and has no way
of capturing the XLS image and embedding it into the PPT. When the user
opens the PPT they are presented with hundreds of “Object Changed†messages
in red text. They must double-click on each so PowerPoint can get an image
of the XLS to embed within the PPT. I have developed a macro which will
automate the clicking process but PowerPoint does not support autorun macros
(without installing an add-in which the client does not want) and the client
is insistent that this can be done on the server and they should not have to
run the macro. This led to me creating a VB.NET application to open the PPT
and run the macro. I can call it from the command prompt, pass in a PPT file
name and it opens the PPT and runs the macro. When I try running the exe
from my web site I get a JIT error. I’ve presented this to the forum but
have no resolution. So I’m now I’m looking for other ways of embedding the
XLS files within the PPT.

Thanks so much.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Snicks,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
From your description, you're using ASP.NET to build a web application
which will publish some Power Point document to client users. The Power
Point documents will contain some excel document embeded in it, however,
you found the ppt no longer work (at clientside) if there has xls doc
embeded , yes?

Based on my experience, for Office application (word, excel, powerpoint...)
processing, it is not quite recommended in asp.net web application since
Office application are designed as clientside desktop program which can not
afford large number of concurrent requests. Also, asp.net web application
is a serverside non-UI service which can not display anything directly to
client, all the page content need to be rendered to clientside browser(the
same for office documents). Generally, we'll have to use rich client
components such as activex controls to display them in web page, or use
clientside scripts to automate word application ... of course, both of the
two require our activex control or web page be granted sufficient
permissions...

In addition, as for the PPT document not work correctly when embed some xls
objects, I think we can try testing it in a normal winform application. If
the problem remains, I think it is likely a office specific issue and I'd
suggest you try posting in some office development newsgroups also since
there may have office expertes there who have some experience on this...

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security