How to emulate other browsers?

Brett

Is there a site that allows me to see my web page in Mac's Safari and other
browsers?

Thanks,
Brett

brucie

In alt.html Brett said:
Is there a site that allows me to see my web page in Mac's Safari and other
browsers?

any claims that a program or system can show you how your site will
appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate and at worst
totally false and misleading.

Kris

"Brett" <[email protected]> said:
Is there a site that allows me to see my web page in Mac's Safari and other
browsers?

Safari:
http://www.danvine.com/icapture/

Be noted that they way a site looks in a browser does not mean it
behaves well. You cannot test any user interaction, like scaling
windows, use forms, scroll, click links, etcetera.

Get yourself a second-hand Mac for permanent testing. You may even like
it so much you'll switch over and keep the Wintel machine around for
testing purposes only. ;)

Another option is to ask for a review in dedicated usenet and/or IRC
groups.

SpaceGirl

brucie said:
In alt.html Brett said:

any claims that a program or system can show you how your site will
appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate and at worst
totally false and misleading.

Just like the statement above? :p

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

rf

SpaceGirl
Just like the statement above? :p

No, not at all.

The reason people ask about "browser emulators" is usually to determine if
their site "works" in a particular browser.

How can a browser "emulator" emulate all the bugs in a particular browser?
To do so it would have to *be* that browser.

If you want to see how your site works in mac's sarari then you have to go
round to your friends place and look at their mac running safari.

brucie is, in this case, completely correct.

SpaceGirl

rf said:
SpaceGirl

No, not at all.

The reason people ask about "browser emulators" is usually to determine if
their site "works" in a particular browser.

How can a browser "emulator" emulate all the bugs in a particular browser?
To do so it would have to *be* that browser.

If you want to see how your site works in mac's sarari then you have to go
round to your friends place and look at their mac running safari.

brucie is, in this case, completely correct.

Yeah... Opera pretends to be IE, and IE pretends to be a browser :)

Some of the browser test sites aren't emulation; they ARE actually the
requested browser, spitting out a screenshot of the results. Not
emulating, but the real thing. While a screenshot doesn't tell you if
your site will work, it will give you some indication whether it'll
render okay or not.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Brett

SpaceGirl said:
Yeah... Opera pretends to be IE, and IE pretends to be a browser :)

Some of the browser test sites aren't emulation; they ARE actually the
requested browser, spitting out a screenshot of the results. Not
emulating, but the real thing. While a screenshot doesn't tell you if your
site will work, it will give you some indication whether it'll render okay
or not.

Where can I find more information on the technology that grabs a screenshot
automatically and displays it in the browser? Not specifically for a
browser shot but say if I want to send an email into Outlook and take a
screenshot of it, then display that online all automatically.

Thanks,
Brett

brucie

In alt.html SpaceGirl said:
Some of the browser test sites aren't emulation; they ARE actually the
requested browser, spitting out a screenshot of the results.

now you know what your site looks like for *one* browser thats not even
used by a human. what you really need is the billion people on line to
send you screencaps.

"ok everybody, now change the font 5% and send me another one"
Not emulating, but the real thing.

i haven't found one yet that produces a screencap anything like my
browsers. even poor little plain text lynx doesn't look anything like my
version.
While a screenshot doesn't tell you if your site will work,

if someone posted a screencap of their site and asked for people to test
if the site worked ok they would be laughed out of dodge after a good
tar and feathering.

but people are willing to accept a screencap if its their own site. odd
that.
it will give you some indication whether it'll render okay or not.

in one browser not used by a human. great.

brucie

In alt.html Brett said:
Where can I find more information on the technology that grabs a screenshot
automatically and displays it in the browser?

theres not much technology to it at all.

brucies basic automatic screen capture and upload for the budget conscience.

ingredients:

1 x print screen key
1 x image optimizer
1 x ftp program
1 x keystroke recorder/playback or macro editor.

method:

record with macro editor or keystroke recorder the keystrokes necessary
to:

1. cap the screen or window you want uploaded.
2. start image optimizer
3. paste image into image optimizer and optimize to a predetermined setting for what you're capping
4. save image into a directory
5. start ftp program
6. ftp program uploads image in the directory up to the server.

repeat as desired.

on the server send the image with cache settings for however long the
image is good for.

i use thousand of macros on my computer (using http://macroexpress.com/
) and setting up the above would be very simple, now that i have
weeeeee! i may even do it just for fun.

SpaceGirl

brucie said:
In alt.html SpaceGirl said:

now you know what your site looks like for *one* browser thats not even
used by a human. what you really need is the billion people on line to
send you screencaps.

"ok everybody, now change the font 5% and send me another one"

i haven't found one yet that produces a screencap anything like my
browsers. even poor little plain text lynx doesn't look anything like my
version.

if someone posted a screencap of their site and asked for people to test
if the site worked ok they would be laughed out of dodge after a good
tar and feathering.

but people are willing to accept a screencap if its their own site. odd
that.

in one browser not used by a human. great.

The vast majority of people currently DONT mess with their font sizes in
browsers (but I hasten to add that's not an excuse to USE fixed fonts).
At least, in my experience and I get to see an awful lot of different
users with different browsers on different platforms. So, generally, my
point still counts.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

brucie

In alt.html SpaceGirl said:
The vast majority of people currently DONT mess with their font sizes in
browsers

its not just font sizes. what about window size? just having different
themes changes that.
So, generally, my point still counts.

no. its no different from getting a screencap from a single random
person. people seem to think its gospel or means something just because
it automated and on the net. its kewl but its just a gimmick.

Toby Inkster

SpaceGirl said:
The vast majority of people currently DONT mess with their font sizes in
browsers (but I hasten to add that's not an excuse to USE fixed fonts).

That's probably because they like them as they are, so don't need to
change them.

The vast majority of people who aren't able to read text at the default
font size WILL mess with their font size. :)

Brett

brucie said:
In alt.html Brett said:

[...]

That's a nice solution. How can this be done if I have say 10 email files
that are named 1.html...10.html and want to view each one in a web browser?
A snapshot needs to be saved and named 1.gif...10.gif for each respectively.

I see this involving a loop from 1 to 10 and passing the numeric index in to
the macro so it knows which view to choose and name to save it as. Will the
macro program do that?

Thanks,
Brett

brucie

In alt.html Brett said:
I see this involving a loop from 1 to 10 and passing the numeric index in to
the macro so it knows which view to choose and name to save it as.
Will the macro program do that?

easy peasy

Kris

Some of the browser test sites aren't emulation; they ARE actually the
requested browser, spitting out a screenshot of the results.

now you know what your site looks like for *one* browser thats not even
used by a human. what you really need is the billion people on line to
send you screencaps.

"ok everybody, now change the font 5% and send me another one"[/QUOTE]

One can anticipate a lot of things without requiring to see all possible
instances. You make sites that scale well to whatever font size a user
has set, right?

These screenshots are nothing remotely like using the real thing, but
they can be of great help, given people read the disclaimer and
understand what and what not to expect.

Kris

brucie said:
its no different from getting a screencap from a single random
person. people seem to think its gospel or means something just because
it automated and on the net.

It is not gospel, nor is it utter crap. It is something in between.
its kewl but its just a gimmick.

It is no guarantee your website is accessible and usable to as many
devices possiblel. Something else is. This gimmick however, should
confirm that.