    browsers?

    Thanks,
    Brett

    Brett, Oct 16, 2004

  2. Brett

    Els Guest

    Els, Oct 16, 2004

  3. Brett

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Brett said:

    > Is there a site that allows me to see my web page in Mac's Safari and other
    > browsers?

    any claims that a program or system can show you how your site will
    appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate and at worst
    totally false and misleading.

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 16, 2004
  4. Brett

    Kris Guest

    In article <>, "Brett" <>
    wrote:

    > Is there a site that allows me to see my web page in Mac's Safari and other
    > browsers?

    Safari:
    http://www.danvine.com/icapture/

    Be noted that they way a site looks in a browser does not mean it
    behaves well. You cannot test any user interaction, like scaling
    windows, use forms, scroll, click links, etcetera.

    Get yourself a second-hand Mac for permanent testing. You may even like
    it so much you'll switch over and keep the Wintel machine around for
    testing purposes only. ;)

    Another option is to ask for a review in dedicated usenet and/or IRC
    groups.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)

    Kris, Oct 16, 2004
  5. Brett

    SpaceGirl Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > In alt.html Brett said:
    >

    >>Is there a site that allows me to see my web page in Mac's Safari and other
    >>browsers?

    > any claims that a program or system can show you how your site will
    > appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate and at worst
    > totally false and misleading.

    Just like the statement above? :p

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Oct 16, 2004
  6. Brett

    rf Guest

    SpaceGirl
    > brucie wrote:
    >
    > > In alt.html Brett said:
    > >
    > >>Is there a site that allows me to see my web page in Mac's Safari and

    other
    > >>browsers?

    > > any claims that a program or system can show you how your site will
    > > appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate and at worst
    > > totally false and misleading.

    > Just like the statement above? :p

    No, not at all.

    The reason people ask about "browser emulators" is usually to determine if
    their site "works" in a particular browser.

    How can a browser "emulator" emulate all the bugs in a particular browser?
    To do so it would have to *be* that browser.

    If you want to see how your site works in mac's sarari then you have to go
    round to your friends place and look at their mac running safari.

    brucie is, in this case, completely correct.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 16, 2004
  7. Brett

    SpaceGirl Guest

    rf wrote:

    > SpaceGirl
    >
    >>brucie wrote:

    > other

    >>>any claims that a program or system can show you how your site will
    >>>appear in a particular browser are at best inaccurate and at worst
    >>>totally false and misleading.

    >>Just like the statement above? :p

    > No, not at all.
    >
    > The reason people ask about "browser emulators" is usually to determine if
    > their site "works" in a particular browser.
    >
    > How can a browser "emulator" emulate all the bugs in a particular browser?
    > To do so it would have to *be* that browser.
    >
    > If you want to see how your site works in mac's sarari then you have to go
    > round to your friends place and look at their mac running safari.
    >
    > brucie is, in this case, completely correct.

    Yeah... Opera pretends to be IE, and IE pretends to be a browser :)

    Some of the browser test sites aren't emulation; they ARE actually the
    requested browser, spitting out a screenshot of the results. Not
    emulating, but the real thing. While a screenshot doesn't tell you if
    your site will work, it will give you some indication whether it'll
    render okay or not.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Oct 16, 2004
  8. Brett

    Brett Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message
    > rf wrote:
    >
    >> SpaceGirl

    >> other

    >>>Just like the statement above? :p

    >> No, not at all.
    >>
    >> The reason people ask about "browser emulators" is usually to determine
    >> if
    >> their site "works" in a particular browser.
    >>
    >> How can a browser "emulator" emulate all the bugs in a particular
    >> browser?
    >> To do so it would have to *be* that browser.
    >>
    >> If you want to see how your site works in mac's sarari then you have to
    >> go
    >> round to your friends place and look at their mac running safari.
    >>
    >> brucie is, in this case, completely correct.
    >>

    > Yeah... Opera pretends to be IE, and IE pretends to be a browser :)
    >
    > Some of the browser test sites aren't emulation; they ARE actually the
    > requested browser, spitting out a screenshot of the results. Not
    > emulating, but the real thing. While a screenshot doesn't tell you if your
    > site will work, it will give you some indication whether it'll render okay
    > or not.

    Where can I find more information on the technology that grabs a screenshot
    automatically and displays it in the browser? Not specifically for a
    browser shot but say if I want to send an email into Outlook and take a
    screenshot of it, then display that online all automatically.

    Thanks,
    Brett

    Brett, Oct 16, 2004
  9. Brett

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html SpaceGirl said:

    > Some of the browser test sites aren't emulation; they ARE actually the
    > requested browser, spitting out a screenshot of the results.

    now you know what your site looks like for *one* browser thats not even
    used by a human. what you really need is the billion people on line to
    send you screencaps.

    "ok everybody, now change the font 5% and send me another one"

    > Not emulating, but the real thing.

    i haven't found one yet that produces a screencap anything like my
    browsers. even poor little plain text lynx doesn't look anything like my
    version.

    > While a screenshot doesn't tell you if your site will work,

    if someone posted a screencap of their site and asked for people to test
    if the site worked ok they would be laughed out of dodge after a good
    tar and feathering.

    but people are willing to accept a screencap if its their own site. odd
    that.

    > it will give you some indication whether it'll render okay or not.

    in one browser not used by a human. great.

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 16, 2004
  10. Brett

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Brett said:

    > Where can I find more information on the technology that grabs a screenshot
    > automatically and displays it in the browser?

    theres not much technology to it at all.

    brucies basic automatic screen capture and upload for the budget conscience.

    ingredients:

    1 x print screen key
    1 x image optimizer
    1 x ftp program
    1 x keystroke recorder/playback or macro editor.

    method:

    record with macro editor or keystroke recorder the keystrokes necessary
    to:

    1. cap the screen or window you want uploaded.
    2. start image optimizer
    3. paste image into image optimizer and optimize to a predetermined setting for what you're capping
    4. save image into a directory
    5. start ftp program
    6. ftp program uploads image in the directory up to the server.

    repeat as desired.

    on the server send the image with cache settings for however long the
    image is good for.

    i use thousand of macros on my computer (using http://macroexpress.com/
    ) and setting up the above would be very simple, now that i have
    weeeeee! i may even do it just for fun.

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 16, 2004
  11. Brett

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html brucie said:

    > now that i have weeeeee! i may even do it just for fun.

    silly brucie! i would have to give up porn.

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 16, 2004
  12. Brett

    SpaceGirl Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > In alt.html SpaceGirl said:
    >

    >>Some of the browser test sites aren't emulation; they ARE actually the
    >>requested browser, spitting out a screenshot of the results.

    > now you know what your site looks like for *one* browser thats not even
    > used by a human. what you really need is the billion people on line to
    > send you screencaps.
    >
    > "ok everybody, now change the font 5% and send me another one"
    >

    >>Not emulating, but the real thing.

    > i haven't found one yet that produces a screencap anything like my
    > browsers. even poor little plain text lynx doesn't look anything like my
    > version.
    >

    >>While a screenshot doesn't tell you if your site will work,

    > if someone posted a screencap of their site and asked for people to test
    > if the site worked ok they would be laughed out of dodge after a good
    > tar and feathering.
    >
    > but people are willing to accept a screencap if its their own site. odd
    > that.
    >

    >>it will give you some indication whether it'll render okay or not.

    > in one browser not used by a human. great.

    The vast majority of people currently DONT mess with their font sizes in
    browsers (but I hasten to add that's not an excuse to USE fixed fonts).
    At least, in my experience and I get to see an awful lot of different
    users with different browsers on different platforms. So, generally, my
    point still counts.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Oct 16, 2004
  13. Brett

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html SpaceGirl said:

    > The vast majority of people currently DONT mess with their font sizes in
    > browsers

    its not just font sizes. what about window size? just having different
    themes changes that.

    > So, generally, my point still counts.

    no. its no different from getting a screencap from a single random
    person. people seem to think its gospel or means something just because
    it automated and on the net. its kewl but its just a gimmick.

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 16, 2004
  14. Brett

    Toby Inkster Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > The vast majority of people currently DONT mess with their font sizes in
    > browsers (but I hasten to add that's not an excuse to USE fixed fonts).

    That's probably because they like them as they are, so don't need to
    change them.

    The vast majority of people who aren't able to read text at the default
    font size WILL mess with their font size. :)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Oct 16, 2004
  15. brucie wrote:
    > In alt.html brucie said:
    >

    >>now that i have weeeeee! i may even do it just for fun.

    > silly brucie! i would have to give up porn.

    You, to give up?
    Are yeah nuts.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.semi-conductor.nl/ Links to Semiconductors site

    Edwin van der Vaart, Oct 16, 2004
  16. Brett

    Brett Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > In alt.html Brett said:
    >
    >> Where can I find more information on the technology that grabs a
    >> screenshot
    >> automatically and displays it in the browser?

    > theres not much technology to it at all.
    >
    > brucies basic automatic screen capture and upload for the budget
    > conscience.
    >
    > ingredients:
    >
    > 1 x print screen key
    > 1 x image optimizer
    > 1 x ftp program
    > 1 x keystroke recorder/playback or macro editor.
    >
    > method:
    >
    > record with macro editor or keystroke recorder the keystrokes necessary
    > to:
    >
    > 1. cap the screen or window you want uploaded.
    > 2. start image optimizer
    > 3. paste image into image optimizer and optimize to a predetermined
    > setting for what you're capping
    > 4. save image into a directory
    > 5. start ftp program
    > 6. ftp program uploads image in the directory up to the server.
    >
    > repeat as desired.
    >
    > on the server send the image with cache settings for however long the
    > image is good for.
    >
    > i use thousand of macros on my computer (using http://macroexpress.com/
    > ) and setting up the above would be very simple, now that i have
    > weeeeee! i may even do it just for fun.

    That's a nice solution. How can this be done if I have say 10 email files
    that are named 1.html...10.html and want to view each one in a web browser?
    A snapshot needs to be saved and named 1.gif...10.gif for each respectively.

    I see this involving a loop from 1 to 10 and passing the numeric index in to
    the macro so it knows which view to choose and name to save it as. Will the
    macro program do that?

    Thanks,
    Brett

    Brett, Oct 16, 2004
  17. Brett

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Brett said:

    > I see this involving a loop from 1 to 10 and passing the numeric index in to
    > the macro so it knows which view to choose and name to save it as.
    > Will the macro program do that?

    easy peasy

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 16, 2004
  18. Brett

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    brucie <> wrote:

    > > Some of the browser test sites aren't emulation; they ARE actually the
    > > requested browser, spitting out a screenshot of the results.

    > now you know what your site looks like for *one* browser thats not even
    > used by a human. what you really need is the billion people on line to
    > send you screencaps.
    >
    > "ok everybody, now change the font 5% and send me another one"

    One can anticipate a lot of things without requiring to see all possible
    instances. You make sites that scale well to whatever font size a user
    has set, right?

    These screenshots are nothing remotely like using the real thing, but
    they can be of great help, given people read the disclaimer and
    understand what and what not to expect.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)

    Kris, Oct 17, 2004
  19. Brett

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    brucie <> wrote:

    > its no different from getting a screencap from a single random
    > person. people seem to think its gospel or means something just because
    > it automated and on the net.

    It is not gospel, nor is it utter crap. It is something in between.

    > its kewl but its just a gimmick.

    It is no guarantee your website is accessible and usable to as many
    devices possiblel. Something else is. This gimmick however, should
    confirm that.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)