how to enable/disable a link based on internet availability

Sn

Hi all,

I ve a requirement with the application i am building. I am building a
small application tool in java. I would like to have a link to my home
page from the UI of the tool. The link should be enabled if and only
if the internet connection is active on that computer or disabled
otherwise.. any advice on this..

appreciate your help on this.

Cheers

David Segall

Sn said:
Hi all,

I ve a requirement with the application i am building. I am building a
small application tool in java. I would like to have a link to my home
page from the UI of the tool. The link should be enabled if and only
if the internet connection is active on that computer or disabled
otherwise.. any advice on this..
The only useful way to test this is by attempting to connect. If you
do that in a separate thread the user will not notice the lengthy
delay that occurs with a failed connection.

Ed Kirwan

David said:
The only useful way to test this is by attempting to connect. If you
do that in a separate thread the user will not notice the lengthy
delay that occurs with a failed connection.

And when you do this, Sn, your firewall may splutter to life and start
roaring about an application's phoning-home: this will be enough for
some of your users to take fright and kick your application off their
hard-drives.

You should maybe just present your link whether net-connected or not;
these days, there are very few people that understand that underlined
text beginning with "www." is a web-connection but don't know that they
must connnect to the web before they can see it.

In other words: don't worry about enabling the link based on connectivity.

Moiristo

Ed said:
these days, there are very few people that understand that underlined
text beginning with "www." is a web-connection but don't know that they
must connnect to the web before they can see it.

that don't understand, I guess? :)

Patricia Shanahan

Ed said:
It was a horribly-worded sentence, all right ...

<Reaches up to bookshelf for a grammar primer>

However, the concept is correct. Remember that Internet connectivity can
change from minute to minute, especially when using wireless devices.

Suppose I notice that my wireless link is good again, want to access the
home page, but the application has not yet noticed the return to
connectivity.

If the link is always there, I just click it and the application should
then attempt to connect. If the link isn't there, what do I do to tell
it to try to connect?

Patricia