how to enable/disable a link based on internet availability

Discussion in 'Java' started by Sn, Jul 4, 2006.

  1. Sn

    Sn Guest

    Hi all,

    I ve a requirement with the application i am building. I am building a
    small application tool in java. I would like to have a link to my home
    page from the UI of the tool. The link should be enabled if and only
    if the internet connection is active on that computer or disabled
    otherwise.. any advice on this..

    appreciate your help on this.

    Cheers
     
    Sn, Jul 4, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Sn

    David Segall Guest

    "Sn" <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I ve a requirement with the application i am building. I am building a
    >small application tool in java. I would like to have a link to my home
    >page from the UI of the tool. The link should be enabled if and only
    >if the internet connection is active on that computer or disabled
    >otherwise.. any advice on this..

    The only useful way to test this is by attempting to connect. If you
    do that in a separate thread the user will not notice the lengthy
    delay that occurs with a failed connection.
     
    David Segall, Jul 4, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Sn

    Ed Kirwan Guest

    David Segall wrote:
    > "Sn" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I ve a requirement with the application i am building. I am building a
    >> small application tool in java. I would like to have a link to my home
    >> page from the UI of the tool. The link should be enabled if and only
    >> if the internet connection is active on that computer or disabled
    >> otherwise.. any advice on this..

    > The only useful way to test this is by attempting to connect. If you
    > do that in a separate thread the user will not notice the lengthy
    > delay that occurs with a failed connection.


    And when you do this, Sn, your firewall may splutter to life and start
    roaring about an application's phoning-home: this will be enough for
    some of your users to take fright and kick your application off their
    hard-drives.

    You should maybe just present your link whether net-connected or not;
    these days, there are very few people that understand that underlined
    text beginning with "www." is a web-connection but don't know that they
    must connnect to the web before they can see it.

    In other words: don't worry about enabling the link based on connectivity.

    --
    www.EdmundKirwan.com - Home of The Fractal Class Composition.

    Download Fractality, free Java code analyzer:
    www.EdmundKirwan.com/servlet/fractal/frac-page130.html
     
    Ed Kirwan, Jul 4, 2006
    #3
  4. Sn

    Moiristo Guest

    Ed Kirwan wrote:
    > these days, there are very few people that understand that underlined
    > text beginning with "www." is a web-connection but don't know that they
    > must connnect to the web before they can see it.


    that don't understand, I guess? :)
     
    Moiristo, Jul 4, 2006
    #4
  5. Sn

    Ed Kirwan Guest

    Moiristo wrote:
    > Ed Kirwan wrote:
    >> these days, there are very few people that understand that underlined
    >> text beginning with "www." is a web-connection but don't know that
    >> they must connnect to the web before they can see it.

    >
    > that don't understand, I guess? :)


    It was a horribly-worded sentence, all right ...

    <Reaches up to bookshelf for a grammar primer>

    --
    www.EdmundKirwan.com - Home of The Fractal Class Composition.

    Download Fractality, free Java code analyzer:
    www.EdmundKirwan.com/servlet/fractal/frac-page130.html
     
    Ed Kirwan, Jul 4, 2006
    #5
  6. Ed Kirwan wrote:
    > Moiristo wrote:
    >> Ed Kirwan wrote:
    >>> these days, there are very few people that understand that underlined
    >>> text beginning with "www." is a web-connection but don't know that
    >>> they must connnect to the web before they can see it.

    >>
    >> that don't understand, I guess? :)

    >
    > It was a horribly-worded sentence, all right ...
    >
    > <Reaches up to bookshelf for a grammar primer>
    >


    However, the concept is correct. Remember that Internet connectivity can
    change from minute to minute, especially when using wireless devices.

    Suppose I notice that my wireless link is good again, want to access the
    home page, but the application has not yet noticed the return to
    connectivity.

    If the link is always there, I just click it and the application should
    then attempt to connect. If the link isn't there, what do I do to tell
    it to try to connect?

    Patricia
     
    Patricia Shanahan, Jul 4, 2006
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Patrick
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    661
  2. Michael Preminger

    NetBeans 4.1 and cable based Internet link

    Michael Preminger, Jun 4, 2005, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    371
    Michael Preminger
    Jun 4, 2005
  3. Plateriot
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,549
    Plateriot
    Jul 4, 2008
  4. Water Cooler v2
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    94
    Water Cooler v2
    Feb 6, 2007
  5. Dustin

    Disable/Enable Link onClick

    Dustin, Mar 6, 2007, in forum: Javascript
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    140
    Dustin
    Mar 6, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page