How to enable mobile access to an existing web based application

Discussion in 'Java' started by Stephan, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. Stephan

    Stephan Guest

    Hello to all,

    I'm looking into providing mobile access to a web based administrative
    application currently running on .Net with MS SQL. The current
    architecture only supports the latest Internet Explorer browser due to
    elaborate dependencies on client side XML libraries, so I'm told. My
    problem is lack of knowledge of mobile client capabilities. I need
    insight into which architecture to use, more on this follows.

    The requirements for the mobile application are in short: calendar
    functionalities and entities add / search / modify. Entities (e.g.
    persons) are to be displayed as clickable rows in a table, etc. Search
    criteria are typed in or selected from a drop down list. Secure access
    (SSL, TSL?) is required.

    Architectural solutions?

    Because of the tight coupling with Internet Explorer, I was thinking
    of redoing the application for the mobile functionality, in J2EE based
    on the existing database. In short JBoss-Tomcat, Struts / Expresso
    solution with Hibernate for O/R.

    But I have no insight into the mobile client browser restrictions.
    Should I choose to output WML, cHTML, xHTML or HTML. What do the most
    common native browsers support? Or should I go for a solution based on
    client browser detection and XSL and Servlet 2.3 Filtering? Or, since
    most mobile clients are MIDP 1.0 compatible should I require clients
    to install a J2ME based HTML browser (e.g. the one from
    reqwireless.com)? Or should I create a custom midlet for the
    application, i.e. a thick client?

    All pointers and development experiences are greatly appreciated,

    Many greetings,

    Stephan.

    Stephan, Jul 29, 2003