How to export diagram as interactive website

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Marcus, Feb 12, 2007.

  1. Marcus

    Marcus Guest

    Hy!

    I use Visio 2002 to draw an ER-Diagram with round about 200 entities
    and 800 relationships between these entities. Little bit of horror,
    but I am on my way.

    My question is, is there a tool that can create an interactive website
    (with dhtml, ajax or something like that) from such a diagram? I want
    to click on an entity and then only want to see the relationships for
    this entity. Nothing else. Is there such a tool or do you know a tool
    where i can make such interactive sites on my own?

    One tool that is pretty much close is Personalbrain
    (www.thebrain.com). But this tool cannot generate websites from the
    mindmap!

    sorry for my bad english. I hope you understand what I want to have.

    Thx in advance!

    Greetings
    Marcus

    Marcus, Feb 12, 2007

  2. Marcus

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 12 Feb, 08:43, "Marcus" <> wrote:
    > I use Visio 2002 to draw an ER-Diagram with round about 200 entities
    > and 800 relationships between these entities. Little bit of horror,
    > but I am on my way.

    I no longer use Visio (I've been a big fan for the dozen years sionce
    it was first released). The problem is that since M$oft bought it, it
    has transformed from an application that encouraged interworking and
    the use of open standards into one that's ever more closely tied into M
    $ Orifice and is fit for little more than making pretty powerpoints
    for the stupid people in the nice suits.

    > My question is, is there a tool that can create an interactive website
    > (with dhtml, ajax or something like that) from such a diagram?

    You want to end up with something that's SVG-based. I'm a few years
    out of touch with how you do this -- last time I did it was hand-
    rolled server-side SQL and XSLT, then a home-brew Java applet on the
    client. There's certainly something better and ready-made by now.

    Protege and Jambalaya are entirely unrelated tools for doing this
    with, but they work really well for it :cool:

    Andy Dingley, Feb 12, 2007

  3. On Feb 12, 3:43 am, "Marcus" <> wrote:
    > I use Visio 2002 to draw an ER-Diagram...
    > My question is, is there a tool that can create an interactive website
    > (with dhtml, ajax or something like that) from such a diagram?

    Make it "from" the Visio file? Probably not. Can you manually do
    this? Absolutely. You could use javascript (ajax) or Flash to do it.
    If you were really fancy, you could probably do it using just server
    side scripting. But I don't believe there is a tool that will go from
    visio to interactive web page.

    Travis Newbury, Feb 12, 2007
  4. Marcus

    Turbo Guest

    On Feb 12, 4:38 am, "Travis Newbury" <>
    wrote:
    > On Feb 12, 3:43 am, "Marcus" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I use Visio 2002 to draw an ER-Diagram...
    > > My question is, is there a tool that can create an interactive website
    > > (with dhtml, ajax or something like that) from such a diagram?

    > Make it "from" the Visio file? Probably not. Can you manually do
    > this? Absolutely. You could use javascript (ajax) or Flash to do it.
    > If you were really fancy, you could probably do it using just server
    > side scripting. But I don't believe there is a tool that will go from
    > visio to interactive web page.

    You can publish your Visio to HTML format. Then it can create a set of
    or single page flow chart that you can zoom in on and do searches. You
    need to experiment with Visio publishing options under the HTML type.

    Turbo, Feb 13, 2007