how to fail initialize

Jim

I would like to know the correct way to fail the creating of an object.
I would return a NULL in c/c++ but returning a nil does not to seem to
work correctly i.e.

if(obj) then do stuff

OR

if(obj != nil) then do stuff

New to Ruby if you couldn't guess.

Jim.

ara.t.howard

I would like to know the correct way to fail the creating of an object.
I would return a NULL in c/c++ but returning a nil does not to seem to
work correctly i.e.

if(obj) then do stuff

OR

if(obj != nil) then do stuff

New to Ruby if you couldn't guess.

def initialize
raise
end

the code is easier to work with if it either returns valid results, or raises
an exception - i removes the burden of testing return values in the client
code.

kind regards.

-a

Jim Bob

Thanks for quick response, I decided to do error testing before creating
object thus removing the problem, I find exception handling messy.

Thanks,
Jim.