How to fetch & parse a RSS Feed

samir.vds

Hey guys,

I'm 3rd semester student in Business Information Systems. I've already
learned some basic Java in university, but yet I've never really
programmed something useful.
Now, I want to develop my first application, which is at least a little
useful. It fetches an RSS 2.0 feed from the internet, which contains
holidays. Then my application parses the feed and extracts the dates
from the feed. In the following, those dates will be inserted into an
Oracle database.
So how can I fetch and parse the RSS feed and what libraries do I need
to do that?
I've searched in the internet and found the following libraries, which
could be suitable for this, but I've no idea which one I should really
use:
* JAXP (SAX / DOM)
*
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/javaserverpages/rss_utilities/index.html
* https://rome.dev.java.net/
* http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2005/01/12/xpath.html

I'd really appreciate any kind of help,

regards Samir

samir.vds

Can you guys eloborate why you'd choose a specific library over another
one.
I'd like to know the advantages/disadvantages, since I'm not able to
evaluate them myself ...