    me is which ones actually exist. Is there a way to get the names of
    the devices, such as those shown in the Device Manager under "Ports"?

    Thanks,
    Don, Dec 15, 2006

  2. On Dec 15, 2:07 pm, "Don" <> wrote:
    > I am writing a program and need to identify the friendly names of
    > ports. I have queried the registry key
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHIN\\EHARDWARE\\DEVICEMAP\\SERIALCOMM, but all that tells
    > me is which ones actually exist. Is there a way to get the names of
    > the devices, such as those shown in the Device Manager under "Ports"?

    Sorry, that's quite a bit off-topic here, but this might give you some
    ideas of where to post your question:
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9, while
    you're at it, read the whole page, it's quite useful.

    --
    Erik Wikström
    =?iso-8859-1?q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, Dec 15, 2006

  3. Don

    Don Guest

    Erik Wikström wrote:
    > On Dec 15, 2:07 pm, "Don" <> wrote:
    > > I am writing a program and need to identify the friendly names of
    > > ports. I have queried the registry key
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHIN\\EHARDWARE\\DEVICEMAP\\SERIALCOMM, but all that tells
    > > me is which ones actually exist. Is there a way to get the names of
    > > the devices, such as those shown in the Device Manager under "Ports"?

    > Sorry, that's quite a bit off-topic here, but this might give you some
    > ideas of where to post your question:
    > http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9, while
    > you're at it, read the whole page, it's quite useful.
    >
    > --
    > Erik Wikström

    "For example, C++ code design, syntax, style, rules, bugs, etc."

    I thought that my question was on topic, basically asking if there was
    a c++ call to access a particular system parameter. If I was mistaken,
    my apologies.

    Thanks
    Don, Dec 15, 2006
  4. Don

    Gavin Deane Guest

    Don wrote:
    > > On Dec 15, 2:07 pm, "Don" <> wrote:
    > > > I am writing a program and need to identify the friendly names of
    > > > ports. I have queried the registry key
    > > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHIN\\EHARDWARE\\DEVICEMAP\\SERIALCOMM, but all that tells
    > > > me is which ones actually exist. Is there a way to get the names of
    > > > the devices, such as those shown in the Device Manager under "Ports"?

    > "For example, C++ code design, syntax, style, rules, bugs, etc."
    >
    > I thought that my question was on topic, basically asking if there was
    > a c++ call to access a particular system parameter. If I was mistaken,
    > my apologies.

    The key to understanding why that sort of question is off-topic is to
    remember that C++ can be used to program a whole range of devices, much
    wider than just desktop PCs. Any question that doesn't apply to all
    platforms that C++ could be programmed for is probably off-topic. Your
    question mentioned registrey keys and the Device Manager. These are
    Windows concepts. Any solution that involves registrey keys and the
    Device Manager will, by definition, be specific to Windows, which
    automatically makes it off-topic.

    Windows PCs, computers running Unix and Macs are all likely to have
    various ports (serial, USB for example). Hypothetically, one could
    imagine a C++ call available on all three platforms that allows you to
    enumerate and use the available ports. Such a call would not be Windows
    specific only but would be specific to the three platforms I mentioned,
    so still off-topic.

    HTH
    Gavin Deane
    Gavin Deane, Dec 15, 2006