How to find out size of Session?

Shimon Sim

My application seems to grow over 50MB for aspnet_wp.exe and I have no idea
why.
I am using MS Enterprise Library 1.1 in ASP.NET 2.0 I am not sure if this
could be a problem.
The problem is that when I uploaded my application to provider it throws
users out every 10-20s. They told me that they have restriction of 100 MB
memory for web application. I really don't think that my data takes some
much.

I would like to see if my Session object grows a lot but I can't get the
size of it.

Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Shimon

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Shimon,

Thank you for posting.

As for performance throubleshooting(like connection or resource) in
ASP.NET, the system performance counters (ASP.NET specific) are good tools
for inspecting the appliation performance data.

#Performance Counters for ASP.NET
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconperformancecounter
sforaspnet.asp?frame=true

However, there is still no direct counter which can display all the memory
size used by session state. So far, we can only inspect the memorty ,
virtual bytes, private bytes consumed by an application instance. For
session State ,there're some counters for tracing the session's
active/abandon and counts.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Shimon Sim

After all suggestions and my research it looks like.
1) DB connections are closed properly
2) Memory usage I can't do too much about and probably not a problem anyhow.
It stays in 50MB range
3) process CPU jumps for new pages but looks like it happens only on
first -second time user enters the site.

I am just wondering if asp.net 2.0 compilation can cause CPU usage for the
process go over 75% range?
Thanks

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Shimon,

Thanks for your response.

If the high CPU is just occuring at the intial time when any user visiting
your web application(after restart), I think this is likely due to the
dynamic compilation. Because the ASP.NET application will perform batch
compilation, that means compile a bunch of pages(not just the page that get
requested) so as to make better performance for sequential requests.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

You're welcome Shimon,

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Shimon Sim

I tried to precompiled this application but I still have the same issue.
I heard that there is known issue that asp.net 2.0 recycle app domain on the
first run of code. Did you hear anything about it?
Thank a lot.
Shimon.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Shimon,

So far I haven't found any kb or document definitely demonstrate on this.
However, by default if the worker process of ASP.NET (IIS) is recycled ,
there will occur event log entry in the application event log. Do you find
such event entry when the application suffers the issue?