    This daughter folder has an extra 500 unrequired images.
    How could I make a list of the filenames of the unrequired, or the required,
    images.

    KiwiBrian, Aug 18, 2008

  2. "KiwiBrian" <> writes:

    > Assume that I have a html file that has internal links to 100 images which
    > are in a daughter folder.
    > This daughter folder has an extra 500 unrequired images.
    > How could I make a list of the filenames of the unrequired, or the required,
    > images.

    Sounds like a job for Perl to me. To be fair, Ruby or Python could do
    the job just as well, but I know Perl a lot better. :)

    First, parse the HTML and walk through it, keeping a list of all the
    images it references. Then, walk through a directory listing of the
    child directory; for each of the images, check to see if its in the
    list of images you built in the first step.

    sherm--

    --
    My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

    Sherm Pendley, Aug 18, 2008

  3. KiwiBrian

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:
    > Assume that I have a html file that has internal links to 100 images
    > which are in a daughter folder.
    > This daughter folder has an extra 500 unrequired images.
    > How could I make a list of the filenames of the unrequired, or the
    > required, images.

    I did that a couple of days ago:
    1. Move all images to another directory
    2. Open the page in FireFox and activate 'Display image paths' in the web
    developer toolbar (plugin)
    3. Open Explorer next to Firefox
    4. Drag the missing images to the image directory

    Alternative: run Xenu (http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html) after step
    one to get a list of the necessary images

    --
    Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Aug 18, 2008