    Thanks!
    Diana
    , Aug 30, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > Is there anyway to find what the date of last revision on someone
    > else's webpage is?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Diana

    In Netscape or Mozilla CTRL-I for document information, Firefox used the
    hotkey for something else so 'Tools|Page Info' will get you there.

    Can't find anything analogous in Opera or Konquer or MSIE

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 30, 2005

  3. On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:43:25 -0700, d.mears wrote:

    > Is there anyway to find what the date of last revision on someone
    > else's webpage is?

    I don't know if you can. Anyway, I would consider it a courtesy to your
    viewers to add a little "last updated" line somewhere on the homepage. I
    do it myself :)

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Producer - http://moonlife-records.com
    Jafar As-Sadiq Calley, Aug 30, 2005
  4. On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, wrote:

    > Is there anyway to find what the date of last revision on someone
    > else's webpage is?

    Any HTTP server may report a last-modified date, which a client agent can
    happily inform you about. (But see below for discussion of what it might
    mean).

    Here's a trivial example, courtesy of Chris Pederick's "web developer
    toolbar" for Mozilla/Firefox (which I'd highly recommend to any user of
    those browsers, whether or not they consider themselves to be "web
    developers" as such):

    Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:44:47 GMT
    Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_jk2/2.0.2
    Last-Modified: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:11:21 GMT
    Etag: "47eb8-4ef0-4313b239"
    Accept-Ranges: bytes

    200 OK

    Note the "Last-Modified" line - but there are plenty of other ways of
    seeing this, for example "lynx -head -dump ..." , or, I think, wget, and I
    don't know what else. Even speaking HTTP nicely by hand to the server!

    On the other hand, that date/time might or might not have been a
    substantive change of the content - perhaps merely a technical update.
    The only way to know whether the author thinks s/he made a substantive
    change to the content, is if they make a practice of putting that
    information onto the page itself. There's no purely technical alternative
    to that, I'm afraid.

    good luck
    Alan J. Flavell, Aug 30, 2005
  5. Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Is there anyway to find what the date of last revision on someone
    >> else's webpage is?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >> Diana
    >>

    > In Netscape or Mozilla CTRL-I for document information, Firefox used the
    > hotkey for something else so 'Tools|Page Info' will get you there.
    >
    > Can't find anything analogous in Opera or Konquer or MSIE

    I'm surprised not to find this in Toby's Opera W3-Dev Menu add-in for
    Opera. THIS IS NOT a product complaint -- it has a gajillion other
    features. :) Maybe I'm just missing it.

    Konq has a heading for it in Ctrl-I (View/DocumentInformation), but on a
    page that shows a mod date with WebDev Extension nothing appears.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 30, 2005
  6. Toby Inkster Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > I'm surprised not to find this in Toby's Opera W3-Dev Menu add-in for
    > Opera. THIS IS NOT a product complaint -- it has a gajillion other
    > features. :) Maybe I'm just missing it.

    Go get version 2.0!
    http://tobyinkster.co.uk/opera

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Aug 31, 2005
  7. Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> I'm surprised not to find this in Toby's Opera W3-Dev Menu add-in for
    >> Opera. THIS IS NOT a product complaint -- it has a gajillion other
    >> features. :) Maybe I'm just missing it.

    > Go get version 2.0! http://tobyinkster.co.uk/opera

    I have the latest version for my release of Opera. Thanks, though.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 31, 2005
  8. Toby Inkster Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >
    >> Go get version 2.0! http://tobyinkster.co.uk/opera

    > I have the latest version for my release of Opera. Thanks, though.

    Try version 2.0 anyway. It could work, it's just not tested. If it
    doesn't, then just go back to the old version.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Aug 31, 2005
  9. Blinky the Shark, Aug 31, 2005
  10. Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Toby Inkster wrote:
    >>
    >>> Go get version 2.0! http://tobyinkster.co.uk/opera

    >> I have the latest version for my release of Opera. Thanks, though.

    > Try version 2.0 anyway. It could work, it's just not tested. If it
    > doesn't, then just go back to the old version.

    Just did.

    Every page I've tested shows January 1, 1970. Can someone provide link
    to a page that shows a mod date, so I can see if this has just been bad
    luck in sampling or if the feature's borked by using it with an older
    version of Opera? Thanks.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 31, 2005
  11. in news:1125423805.689763.63330
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > Is there anyway to find what the date of last revision on someone
    > else's webpage is?

    though i find many bookmarklets do nothing, could try
    http://www.google.com/search?q=date last | revision ~bookmarklet

    i didn't check these, but maybe one is good:

    Bookmarklets - Help Section
    .... if you use the "Page Freshness" bookmarklet (which gives the last modified
    date of the document) then there may not be a single last modified date - the ...
    www.bookmarklets.com/help/help.htm

    Bookmarklets | add extra functionality to your browser with these ...
    You just click the bookmarklet, and it can apply filters to the page you're ...
    this bookmark will query the server and return the last modification date. ...
    www.yourhtmlsource.com/accessibility/bookmarklets.html

    wg:View Style Sheets Bookmarklet v2
    The bookmarklet supports multiple stylesheets and various linkage types, ...
    the http headers - you can see size, date last changed, content type and more. ...
    web-graphics.com/mtarchive/000404.php
    Quasimido CSS, Sep 1, 2005
  12. Toby Inkster Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Every page I've tested shows January 1, 1970.

    This one shows a proper date:
    http://www.eofftv.com/episodes/r/red_dwarf/red_dwarf_quarantine_main.htm

    From my brief tests, it seems like "document.lastModified" only works in
    Opera when the server sends both of the following two HTTP headers:

    ETag
    Last-Modified

    Next version will have a proper error message built in when
    document.lastModified==0.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Sep 1, 2005
  13. Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Every page I've tested shows January 1, 1970.

    > This one shows a proper date:
    > http://www.eofftv.com/episodes/r/red_dwarf/red_dwarf_quarantine_main.htm

    January 1, 1970, like the others.

    > From my brief tests, it seems like "document.lastModified" only works in
    > Opera when the server sends both of the following two HTTP headers:
    >
    > ETag
    > Last-Modified
    >
    > Next version will have a proper error message built in when
    > document.lastModified==0.

    'Kay.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263