How to find the depencies among files in a project

Nadia

If that project is not yours and you only have to compile it using
makfile .Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Flash Gordon

Nadia said:
If that project is not yours and you only have to compile it using
makfile .Any help is greatly appreciated.

Please include all of the question in the body of the message. Some
people use news readers that don't show the subject at the same time as
the message body.

In answer to your question, the only way the standard provides is to
read the files and see for yourself. However, there are lots of tools
people have written to assist with this, such as cxref. For a discussion
of tools available to your specific platform you would do well to ask in
a group dedicated to your platform as there you will find all the
experts who are familiar with the tools.

Kenny McCormack

Please include all of the question in the body of the message. Some
people use news readers that don't show the subject at the same time as
the message body.

You (and others, such as Keith) are wasting your breath. They'll never get
it. And I'll tell you why.

Imagine that there's a mouse - and the mouse is the Usenet. You and I can
see that it is a mouse and we behave accordingly. But now there is a class
of users (we'll call them "googlers") that are wearing these funny weird
glasses that make them see not a mouse, but an elephant. Seeing an
elephant (i.e., the Usenet as a web page), they also behave accordingly.
And no amount of verbiage from us is going to convince them that it's not
an elephant - that it is only a mouse.

To make this more clear, to a googler, it doesn't make any sense to "quote"
(whatever the heck that is...), in fact, to do so would be absurd, when all
the rest of the articles in the thread are right there in front of their
faces (just as clear as the trunk on that mouse, er, elephant). And no
amount of verbiage from us is going to convince them not to believe what
they see. The point is you can *never* convince someone that what they see
isn't reality. The only way you can address the problem is to help them
fix their eyesight (or help them remove their funny glasses).

Jordan Abel

To make this more clear, to a googler, it doesn't make any sense to "quote"
(whatever the heck that is...), in fact, to do so would be absurd, when all
the rest of the articles in the thread are right there in front of their
faces (just as clear as the trunk on that mouse, er, elephant). And no
amount of verbiage from us is going to convince them not to believe what
they see. The point is you can *never* convince someone that what they see
isn't reality. The only way you can address the problem is to help them
fix their eyesight (or help them remove their funny glasses).

Except that quoting is the norm on most web forums also, so it makes
more sense that the reason is the fact that the "reply" button doesn't
quote, or that the user is just an idiot

(i know, i know, don't feed the troll - the problem with that for me is
that i think that Kenny really does honestly believe what he is saying)

Kenny McCormack

Except that quoting is the norm on most web forums also, so it makes
more sense that the reason is the fact that the "reply" button doesn't
quote, or that the user is just an idiot

(i know, i know, don't feed the troll - the problem with that for me is
that i think that Kenny really does honestly believe what he is saying)

Yes, I do honestly believe it. It is called "trolling on the square".

To address your issue: It is *not* the norm, in the real world, as it
exists in 2006. It may be the norm on the "web forums" that *you*
frequent, since you appear to be reasonably technically savvy and the
forums that *you* frequent probably are reasonably technically
sophisticated and are thus probably governed by the same ethos as was
common in the Usenet of old - the one that we all grew up with, but is,
alas, no more.

Note also that it varies by software. Some "web forums" (shouldn't that be
fora?) do encourage "quoting" (by "encourage", I mean, the nature of the
software, not the ethos of the participants), but the Google interface
(have you actually seen it?) is particularly good at making you think that
it all just strings together (exists as a unit) and that "quoting" would be
not only superfluous, but silly.

Keith Thompson

Jordan Abel said:
Except that quoting is the norm on most web forums also, so it makes
more sense that the reason is the fact that the "reply" button doesn't
quote, or that the user is just an idiot

(i know, i know, don't feed the troll - the problem with that for me is
that i think that Kenny really does honestly believe what he is saying)

Yes, please don't feed the troll. It doesn't matter whether he
honestly believes it or not. If you want to try to enlighten him for
some reason, you can use e-mail.

Jordan Abel

Yes, I do honestly believe it. It is called "trolling on the square".

To address your issue: It is *not* the norm, in the real world, as it
exists in 2006. It may be the norm on the "web forums" that *you*
frequent, since you appear to be reasonably technically savvy and the
forums that *you* frequent probably are reasonably technically
sophisticated

Actually, no. The forum i'm talking about is "gaia online". Quoting is
actually more useful there than on usenet because there's NO other way
to find out who someone is replying to [usenet at least has a references
header, and many usenet interfaces also provide a tree view] on a
flat-thread UBB-type forum (which is what i was referring to as a "web
forum", and, apart from blogs, are the overwhelming majority of "web
forums"). Thus quoting is the norm on such forums.
and are thus probably governed by the same ethos as was common in the
Usenet of old - the one that we all grew up with, but is, alas, no
more.

75% of the people there, and 90% anywhere but one particular subforum,
have probably never heard of google groups, let alone usenet.
Note also that it varies by software. Some "web forums" (shouldn't
that be fora?) do encourage "quoting" (by "encourage", I mean, the
nature of the software, not the ethos of the participants), but the
Google interface (have you actually seen it?) is particularly good at
making you think that it all just strings together (exists as a unit)
and that "quoting" would be not only superfluous, but silly.

The only real problem with google is the presence of a "reply without
quoting" button, and its relative prominence vs the "reply with quote"
button. Fix this, and the problem will go away. Only to be replaced with
top-posting, i'm sure, but still.

Jordan Abel

Yes, please don't feed the troll. It doesn't matter whether he
honestly believes it or not. If you want to try to enlighten him for
some reason, you can use e-mail.

I hadn't thought of that. Sorry, I already replied to him once more, but
for future conversation I will take it to email [though, the ball is in
his court, so he really should first]