How to fix odd IE behavoiur?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jim Higson, Sep 13, 2004.

  1. Jim Higson

    Jim Higson Guest

    I've been trying to work some fluid div-based layout into my pages to
    replace the old tables I used for the heading.

    See the heading on the page, try resizing the page:
    http://81.5.150.113/www.masmodels.com/snapshot/portfolio.en.html

    (nb - this is on my 'home' server but bandwidth should be ok - the pages are
    pretty small)

    This page works fine in Gecko, KHTML and Opera but is badly borked in IE.

    Some info:

    1) I'm using FIR to put an image in place of the h1, I know this is bad and
    will change it to another IR technique once I get layout working

    2) I know the PNGs won't be rendered properly in IE. I'm getting the layout
    right first, then I'll make IE some GIFs or use the PNG alpha hack.

    3) I'm using large negative margins to allow items to overlap. Ie, the
    dragon divs are 206 pixels wide, and I give them margin-right:206px; This
    means that the items should never wrap to the next line, but in IE they do.

    4) In IE the page is made very wide. No idea why!

    Can anyone can point to a fix for IE, or even explain why it is doing this?

    Ta,
    Jim

    Jim Higson, Sep 13, 2004

  2. Jim Higson

    Jim Higson Guest

    Jim Higson wrote:

    > I've been trying to work some fluid div-based layout into my pages to
    > replace the old tables I used for the heading.
    >
    > See the heading on the page, try resizing the page:
    > http://81.5.150.113/www.masmodels.com/snapshot/portfolio.en.html
    >
    > (nb - this is on my 'home' server but bandwidth should be ok - the pages
    > are pretty small)
    >
    > This page works fine in Gecko, KHTML and Opera but is badly borked in IE.
    >
    > Some info:
    >
    > 1) I'm using FIR to put an image in place of the h1, I know this is bad
    > and will change it to another IR technique once I get layout working
    >
    > 2) I know the PNGs won't be rendered properly in IE. I'm getting the
    > layout right first, then I'll make IE some GIFs or use the PNG alpha hack.
    >
    > 3) I'm using large negative margins to allow items to overlap. Ie, the
    > dragon divs are 206 pixels wide, and I give them margin-right:206px; This
    > means that the items should never wrap to the next line, but in IE they
    > do.
    >
    > 4) In IE the page is made very wide. No idea why!
    >
    > Can anyone can point to a fix for IE, or even explain why it is doing
    > this?
    >
    > Ta,
    > Jim

    Never mind, fixed this myself after a rethink. Anyone interested can check
    out the site on the proper server (URL above minus the IP) - it involved
    introducing a couple of extra divs, but works on IE now.

    Jim Higson, Sep 13, 2004