How to fix odd IE behavoiur?

Jim Higson

I've been trying to work some fluid div-based layout into my pages to
replace the old tables I used for the heading.

See the heading on the page, try resizing the page:
http://81.5.150.113/www.masmodels.com/snapshot/portfolio.en.html

(nb - this is on my 'home' server but bandwidth should be ok - the pages are
pretty small)

This page works fine in Gecko, KHTML and Opera but is badly borked in IE.

Some info:

1) I'm using FIR to put an image in place of the h1, I know this is bad and
will change it to another IR technique once I get layout working

2) I know the PNGs won't be rendered properly in IE. I'm getting the layout
right first, then I'll make IE some GIFs or use the PNG alpha hack.

3) I'm using large negative margins to allow items to overlap. Ie, the
dragon divs are 206 pixels wide, and I give them margin-right:206px; This
means that the items should never wrap to the next line, but in IE they do.

4) In IE the page is made very wide. No idea why!

Can anyone can point to a fix for IE, or even explain why it is doing this?

Ta,
Jim

Jim Higson

Jim said:
[...]

Never mind, fixed this myself after a rethink. Anyone interested can check
out the site on the proper server (URL above minus the IP) - it involved
introducing a couple of extra divs, but works on IE now.