How To Force Server To Send Data To WebPage WIthout Refresh(Push Method)

batista

Hello All,

my prob. is that

i have a web server, and i want it to send fresh data,whenver
it is available(from sum other source), to a webpage.

Now i used refresh, but i want to use an alternative.
I heard that refresh is called pull scheme, and the one i'm looking for
is caled push scheme.

So i want to know how the push scheme is done.

Hlp me on this.Plz

Thnks in advance....
Cheers...
Bye

Sebastian Wojciechowski

I believe that it doesn't work this way.
You can't push data from web server to the client.
It means that web server has to connect to browser and send data.
If you don't want to refresh a page you can use an XMLHTTP and setTimeout()
function in JS in a loop.

What web server are you using?

batista

thnks for reply

kindly tell me
wat is XMLHTTP? and is there some other alternative then XMLHTTP
and also why can't i push data from web server to the client, is it
bcuz of http?

and i'm using IIS.

batista

thnks for reply.

While searching i found out that
java applet and activex control can do this
so if it really is about http,
then how do these tech do it?

And Sebastian i used xmlhttp and also found alternatives but they all
require
timer to tell them to contact server.(which i dont want to use, if
possible)

So wat i want to know is how
java applets and activex controls does it?

Plz Hlp Needed

Bye.