How to force Tomcat to reload WEB-INF/lib and WEB-INF/classes ???

Hans

Hello,

I have a question. How can I force Tomcat to reload the classes/jars in
WEB-INF/lib and WEB-INF/classes ??

The only way I know for now is after I changed e.g. a Bean and compiled it,
to stop Tomcat (shutdown.bat) and restart (startup.bat). But this takes a
lot of time. Is there a faster way to force Tomcat to reload those
directories?

I tried to STOP/START the my JSP-application using the Tomcat Manager but
this doesn't reload the lib/classes. Also I tried to press the RELOAD button
in the Tomcat manager (while my webapplication is running). But this also
doesn't seem to reload the classes/jars

Thanks in advance!

Hans

Ryan Stewart

Hans said:
Hello,

I have a question. How can I force Tomcat to reload the classes/jars in
WEB-INF/lib and WEB-INF/classes ??

The only way I know for now is after I changed e.g. a Bean and compiled it,
to stop Tomcat (shutdown.bat) and restart (startup.bat). But this takes a
lot of time. Is there a faster way to force Tomcat to reload those
directories?

I tried to STOP/START the my JSP-application using the Tomcat Manager but
this doesn't reload the lib/classes. Also I tried to press the RELOAD button
in the Tomcat manager (while my webapplication is running). But this also
doesn't seem to reload the classes/jars

Thanks in advance!

Hans
Reloading in the manager should do it. However, Tomcat will incorporate
changes to class files automatically in about three or four seconds if left
undisturbed. You'll be able to tell because it drops session variable when
it does so. What version are you using?

Chris Smith

Ryan said:
Reloading in the manager should do it. However, Tomcat will incorporate
changes to class files automatically in about three or four seconds if left
undisturbed. You'll be able to tell because it drops session variable when
it does so. What version are you using?

Note that this auto-reloading is actually an option that can be
disabled, and it frequently if because of the performance cost. It's
nice to leave it enabled in development environments, but not in
production.

Restarting the code from the manager should still work though; not sure
why it's not.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Ryan Stewart

Chris Smith said:
Note that this auto-reloading is actually an option that can be
disabled, and it frequently if because of the performance cost. It's
nice to leave it enabled in development environments, but not in
production.

Restarting the code from the manager should still work though; not sure
why it's not.
Tomcat is one of many things still on my list of Things to Learn. I don't
know all that much about it, especially since we use it *only* for
development and not for production.