How to force Tomcat to reload WEB-INF/lib and WEB-INF/classes ???

Discussion in 'Java' started by Hans, May 15, 2004.

  1. Hans

    Hans Guest

    Hello,

    I have a question. How can I force Tomcat to reload the classes/jars in
    WEB-INF/lib and WEB-INF/classes ??

    The only way I know for now is after I changed e.g. a Bean and compiled it,
    to stop Tomcat (shutdown.bat) and restart (startup.bat). But this takes a
    lot of time. Is there a faster way to force Tomcat to reload those
    directories?

    I tried to STOP/START the my JSP-application using the Tomcat Manager but
    this doesn't reload the lib/classes. Also I tried to press the RELOAD button
    in the Tomcat manager (while my webapplication is running). But this also
    doesn't seem to reload the classes/jars

    Thanks in advance!

    Hans

    Hans, May 15, 2004

  2. Hans

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "Hans" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a question. How can I force Tomcat to reload the classes/jars in
    > WEB-INF/lib and WEB-INF/classes ??
    >
    > The only way I know for now is after I changed e.g. a Bean and compiled

    it,
    > to stop Tomcat (shutdown.bat) and restart (startup.bat). But this takes a
    > lot of time. Is there a faster way to force Tomcat to reload those
    > directories?
    >
    > I tried to STOP/START the my JSP-application using the Tomcat Manager but
    > this doesn't reload the lib/classes. Also I tried to press the RELOAD

    button
    > in the Tomcat manager (while my webapplication is running). But this also
    > doesn't seem to reload the classes/jars
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Hans

    Reloading in the manager should do it. However, Tomcat will incorporate
    changes to class files automatically in about three or four seconds if left
    undisturbed. You'll be able to tell because it drops session variable when
    it does so. What version are you using?

    Ryan Stewart, May 15, 2004

  3. Hans

    Chris Smith Guest

    Ryan Stewart wrote:
    > Reloading in the manager should do it. However, Tomcat will incorporate
    > changes to class files automatically in about three or four seconds if left
    > undisturbed. You'll be able to tell because it drops session variable when
    > it does so. What version are you using?

    Note that this auto-reloading is actually an option that can be
    disabled, and it frequently if because of the performance cost. It's
    nice to leave it enabled in development environments, but not in
    production.

    Restarting the code from the manager should still work though; not sure
    why it's not.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, May 16, 2004
  4. Hans

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "Chris Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Ryan Stewart wrote:
    > > Reloading in the manager should do it. However, Tomcat will incorporate
    > > changes to class files automatically in about three or four seconds if

    left
    > > undisturbed. You'll be able to tell because it drops session variable

    when
    > > it does so. What version are you using?

    > Note that this auto-reloading is actually an option that can be
    > disabled, and it frequently if because of the performance cost. It's
    > nice to leave it enabled in development environments, but not in
    > production.
    >
    > Restarting the code from the manager should still work though; not sure
    > why it's not.

    Tomcat is one of many things still on my list of Things to Learn. I don't
    know all that much about it, especially since we use it *only* for
    development and not for production.

    Ryan Stewart, May 16, 2004