How to force UTF-8 coming from database?

darrel

I'm having a hell of a time getting a valid RSS feed created. From what I've
discovered, my RSS XML has to be UTF-8 encoded for IE to know what to do
with it.

I can't force this using the XMLWriter as, apparently, if the data is
UTF-16, XMLWriter goes ahead and changes the encoding for me.

So, I need to handle this a the DB query end. Is there a way to retrieve the
data as UTF-8? Or are there any other suggestions as to where/how to get the
data into UTF-8 format?

-Darrel

bruce barker

there is no need to change the database. you can set the encoding of the
output stream when you create the writer.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

darrel

there is no need to change the database. you can set the encoding of the
output stream when you create the writer.

So it DOESN'T override if it's UTF-16? I was told it does, but you seem to
be correct. THANKS!

-Darrel