How to gather the MAC-address

Gabriel Schuster

Hello!

I'm new to all those news groups out there.
I'd like to introduce myself, I'm Gabriel Schuster, living near Stuttgart,
Germany.
I've been working with perl for about 3 years now.
Now i have to work on a really big project and i got a (big?) problem.
For a secure license management system i need to gather the MAC-address of
the machine my script is running on.
I searched several news groups, google and many other spiders without any
helpful result.
The way to recieve the address should be portable so it runs e.g. on
Linux/Unix and Windows, if possible.
Is there any idea to solve this problem?
I would be very thankful for any suggestions.

Thank you!

Kindly regards,

Gabriel Schuster

Stefan

Gabriel Schuster said:
Hello!

I'm new to all those news groups out there.
I'd like to introduce myself, I'm Gabriel Schuster, living near Stuttgart,
Germany.
I've been working with perl for about 3 years now.
Now i have to work on a really big project and i got a (big?) problem.
For a secure license management system i need to gather the MAC-address of
the machine my script is running on.
I searched several news groups, google and many other spiders without any
helpful result.
The way to recieve the address should be portable so it runs e.g. on
Linux/Unix and Windows, if possible.
Is there any idea to solve this problem?
I would be very thankful for any suggestions.

Thank you!

Kindly regards,

Gabriel Schuster

It's defenitely a tricky task to determine MAC addresses. For a start, it's
very OS dependend. Google is, was, and will be your friend though. This
web-site looks very informative;

http://www.its.caltech.edu/its/services/networkra/macaddress.shtml

The google search was "how to determine mac address local computer" and this
is the 1st hit. There are 145.000 more to go ......

Good luck,
Stefan

The Sender

At some time in the past Stefan wrote :
It's defenitely a tricky task to determine MAC addresses. For a start,
it's very OS dependend. Google is, was, and will be your friend though.
This web-site looks very informative;

http://www.its.caltech.edu/its/services/networkra/macaddress.shtml

The google search was "how to determine mac address local computer" and
this is the 1st hit. There are 145.000 more to go ......

Good luck,
Stefan

Have you tried arp -a IP_Address?