How to get a Fix to an Abandoned Project?

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gregory_Pi=F1ero?=

Hi there,

I'm hoping this is at least somewhat on topic for this list. I'm not
sure where else to ask.

Here's the story, I was a happy user of pydelicious
(http://deliciouspython.python-hosting.com/) for a few beautiful
months. Then there was a del.icio.us API change
(http://blog.del.icio.us/blog/2006/08/security_everyb.html) and
pydelicious broke
(http://deliciouspython.python-hosting.com/ticket/363).

After repeated failed attempts to contact the author, I dive in and
fix it myself (just changing URI's really). So now I have the fixed
code and I'd like to update the project so others can use it, but I
can't seem to login to the trac page to change the code? Just
wondering if there's some obvious way to change the source code, or
register? Otherwise any other advice is welcome. Should I just post
the code somewhere else, etc?

Thanks,

Lawrence Oluyede

Gregory Piñero said:
Otherwise any other advice is welcome. Should I just post
the code somewhere else, etc?

Maybe you can fork and maintain it somewhere else...

Sashmit Bhaduri

Gregory said:
After repeated failed attempts to contact the author, I dive in and
fix it myself (just changing URI's really). So now I have the fixed
code and I'd like to update the project so others can use it, but I
can't seem to login to the trac page to change the code?

Wait a while, and if you don't hear from the author(s), fork it.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gregory_Pi=F1ero?=

Maybe you can fork and maintain it somewhere else...

Forking is an idea however I'd rather not become the "maintainer of
it", rather I just want to see it working it again. Maybe I'll put it
on google code hosting.

-Greg

Adam Jones

Gregory said:
Say hello to pydelicious's new home ;-)
http://code.google.com/p/pydelicious/

-Greg

Unless you are the original project's maintainer or have their consent
on this it is usually bad form to name your fork the same thing as the
original project. Granted, for something that has withered and died
this may not be much of an issue, but it is good to know for future
reference.

-Adam

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gregory_Pi=F1ero?=

Unless you are the original project's maintainer or have their consent
on this it is usually bad form to name your fork the same thing as the
original project. Granted, for something that has withered and died
this may not be much of an issue, but it is good to know for future
reference.

-Adam

I took that issue into consideration. I figure in this case it's not
a fork but rather a "move" ;-)

If the author ever returns he can take over the project and move it
wherever he wants. So we need a new word perhaps instead of forked
let's call it "house sitting"

-Greg