How to get a Fix to an Abandoned Project?

Discussion in 'Python' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gregory_Pi=F1ero?=, Sep 19, 2006.

  1. Hi there,

    I'm hoping this is at least somewhat on topic for this list. I'm not
    sure where else to ask.

    Here's the story, I was a happy user of pydelicious
    (http://deliciouspython.python-hosting.com/) for a few beautiful
    months. Then there was a del.icio.us API change
    (http://blog.del.icio.us/blog/2006/08/security_everyb.html) and
    pydelicious broke
    (http://deliciouspython.python-hosting.com/ticket/363).

    After repeated failed attempts to contact the author, I dive in and
    fix it myself (just changing URI's really). So now I have the fixed
    code and I'd like to update the project so others can use it, but I
    can't seem to login to the trac page to change the code? Just
    wondering if there's some obvious way to change the source code, or
    register? Otherwise any other advice is welcome. Should I just post
    the code somewhere else, etc?

    Thanks,

    --
    Gregory Piñero
    Chief Innovation Officer

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gregory_Pi=F1ero?=, Sep 19, 2006

  2. Gregory Piñero <> wrote:
    > Otherwise any other advice is welcome. Should I just post
    > the code somewhere else, etc?

    Maybe you can fork and maintain it somewhere else...

    --
    Lawrence - http://www.oluyede.org/blog
    "Nothing is more dangerous than an idea

    Lawrence Oluyede, Sep 19, 2006

  3. Gregory Piñero wrote:
    > After repeated failed attempts to contact the author, I dive in and
    > fix it myself (just changing URI's really). So now I have the fixed
    > code and I'd like to update the project so others can use it, but I
    > can't seem to login to the trac page to change the code?

    Wait a while, and if you don't hear from the author(s), fork it.

    Sashmit Bhaduri, Sep 19, 2006
  4. On 9/19/06, Lawrence Oluyede <> wrote:
    > Gregory Piñero <> wrote:
    > > Otherwise any other advice is welcome. Should I just post
    > > the code somewhere else, etc?

    > Maybe you can fork and maintain it somewhere else...

    Forking is an idea however I'd rather not become the "maintainer of
    it", rather I just want to see it working it again. Maybe I'll put it
    on google code hosting.

    -Greg

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gregory_Pi=F1ero?=, Sep 20, 2006
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gregory_Pi=F1ero?=, Sep 20, 2006
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gregory_Pi=F1ero?=

    Adam Jones Guest

    Gregory Piñero wrote:
    > Say hello to pydelicious's new home ;-)
    > http://code.google.com/p/pydelicious/
    >
    > -Greg

    Unless you are the original project's maintainer or have their consent
    on this it is usually bad form to name your fork the same thing as the
    original project. Granted, for something that has withered and died
    this may not be much of an issue, but it is good to know for future
    reference.

    -Adam

    Adam Jones, Sep 20, 2006
  7. On 20 Sep 2006 08:08:01 -0700, Adam Jones <> wrote:

    > Gregory Piñero wrote:
    > > Say hello to pydelicious's new home ;-)
    > > http://code.google.com/p/pydelicious/
    > >
    > > -Greg

    > Unless you are the original project's maintainer or have their consent
    > on this it is usually bad form to name your fork the same thing as the
    > original project. Granted, for something that has withered and died
    > this may not be much of an issue, but it is good to know for future
    > reference.
    >
    > -Adam

    I took that issue into consideration. I figure in this case it's not
    a fork but rather a "move" ;-)

    If the author ever returns he can take over the project and move it
    wherever he wants. So we need a new word perhaps instead of forked
    let's call it "house sitting"

    -Greg

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gregory_Pi=F1ero?=, Sep 20, 2006