How to get a PDF opening in a clients webbrowser?

Guest

Hi,

It's rather common today, to see a PDF opening within a new Internet page.

But how is it done in ASP.NET, VS2003?

I'd rather use it as a way to invoice electronically. You email your
customer without the PDF-file as an attachment to the mail. Many company's
exchange servers and other filter out PDF attachments. You never know in
advance and after fourteen days you wonder why the 10-days invoice isn't
already paid, unless you received a message from your ISP that it couldn't be
delivered.

So when the customer clerk gets his email from us with a link to press,
he'll be taken direct up to the PDF page and can write it out.

I also have ideas on how to implement some delivery acceptances so that the
email will be sent repeatadly to the customer until there's a confirmation
upon it's been received.

Am I thinking wrong?

Do you have further ideas you would share with me?

TIA

Kenneth P

Guest

To elaborate,..

When the user's browser sends a request for the aspx file you want to return
the PDF file (Say, they clicked on a link in an e-mail) , the aspx page needs
to:

1) Construct / retrive the PDF file data.
2) Send back the correct MIME type to the browser. (application/pdf ?)
3) Send the PDF file data/bytes to the browser.

-- David

Guest

Hi David,
1) Construct / retrive the PDF file data.
In my own computer I have Acrobat Writer so it's not a problem to do it
there, but on the web hotel I comsume? I've heard that there are some
utilities or even code you could write to accomplish this task.
2) Send back the correct MIME type to the browser. (application/pdf ?)
Do you mean I should create a .net mail and set the MIME type as a property
in the .net mail method?
3) Send the PDF file data/bytes to the browser.
If the PDF file has a filenamn on your HD the user should picjk it up by
some method?

Kenneth P

Guest

Hi David,